Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Goblin King?  (Read 16725 times)

Gentlemann

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
The Goblin King?
« on: April 09, 2012, 08:15:33 pm »

Okay, I've had some strange happenings in my forts, but this one finally made me buckle down and register for the forums.

So it's year 5 of my volcanic fortress of Faceplants, and I've been working on attracting the attention of the Urist McNobility so I can become a duchy. I even went so far as to use my overwhelming stores of gold to create a golden road that leads East to West, and into my fortress.

Joy overtakes me as I get a message asking if I'd like to put up one of my Dwarves to become the Duke, which I accept happily. For a few seconds I wonder if I've chosen the vampire that's been sneaking about my fort, but put that from my mind.

Imagine my surprise when, a few dwarfdays later, I get the most lovely message: "The king has arrived with his full entourage. You are now a Mountainhome." I scroll over as fast as my arrow keys will let me to see the king. And what I find is...

WOT. :o

That's my king. He's a Goblin. Not only that, but going by the little yellow text, he's one of the first Goblins. And he's my king. Did I mention he's a Goblin?

THIS IS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE.

I'm assuming that he took over my civilization at some point, just like vampires are suppose to do, but...  If this is a bug, it's the most awesome one I've ever seen, and it should be a feature. If it's not a bug, and Goblins can now rule Dwarves, does this mean that I might start getting Goblins in my migrant waves? Has anyone else had something like this happen? A non-Dwarf being king of the Dorfs?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: The Goblin King?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 08:17:31 pm »

Dwarves were conquered by goblins, and a goblin instilled as king.  Copy your world, abandon, check legends.  You've probably got a pretty interesting story.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 08:18:22 pm »

Hah! That's weird. The king and general of my civilization are also goblins! They haven't shown up yet but I see them in the civilizations screen. Did every single one of your migrants show up with military skills? Mine did. I'm betting a goblin civ recently defeated my civ.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 08:19:53 pm »

It's not a bug.
I'll give you a rundown, although it might not be that accurate, givin my memory.
Basically, Dwarves take over a tower or other Goblin site in world gen.
Now, since Dwarves don't promote slavery, they just let the guys go (Either that or kill 'em).
Some of them decide to stick around, so now there are Goblins in your population.
Eventually, one of 'em becomes king.
At least, that's how I remember it.
Probably not too accurate.

Either that or what they said.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 08:21:25 pm »

Oh Cheeses, just read the description, "has the appearance of somebody that is three hundred and seven years old?" and "first of his kind?" Necromancer or vampire, I'm betting.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 08:22:54 pm »

Oh Cheeses, just read the description, "has the appearance of somebody that is three hundred and seven years old?" and "first of his kind?" Necromancer or vampire, I'm betting.

Goblins are immortal.  They don't die of old age even without being necromancers or vampires.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 08:23:10 pm »

Dwarves were conquered by goblins, and a goblin instilled as king.  Copy your world, abandon, check legends.  You've probably got a pretty interesting story.
Other way around. Goblins were conquered by dwarves, and their immortality allowed them to propogate to the higher ranks.

If it's not a bug, and Goblins can now rule Dwarves, does this mean that I might start getting Goblins in my migrant waves?
Unfortunately, only nobles can arrive from different races. Other historical figures are segregated by race.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 08:25:00 pm »

It's worth noting, that if this happens at all, it's liable to happen for real.  Goblins and elves are immortal, so if either of them become leader of your civ, they're extremely unlikely to lose power.  Similar to vampires, if you ever get an immortal monarch, then you'll have one at the start of play.

Gentlemann

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 09:08:06 pm »

Wow, I honestly didn't expect that his would be a common thing. So I'm now the seat of power for an immortal King, huh? This just gets better and better. :D

Shame about not being able to get migrants from other races though. Thanks for all the help folks.

The only problem is that the game is treating him as a tamed animal, so I can't assign him anything. Guess he's gonna be one pissed, homeless, immortal king.

For those who care, I followed Girlinhat's suggestion and got the legend of our Goblin friend. Had to nickname him to make it easier for me to find him.

Unless I'm reading that wrong, it looks like he was a member of Dwarven society from the beginning. Curiouser and curiouser...

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 09:23:54 pm »

is the hardy sling a dwarf civ?

check the history there, and find out what happened around or before year 235.

what might have happened is that the goblin got taken prisoner, and the dwarves won a war against that civ, liberating the slave and integrating it into dwarven society.

awesome king by the way.  has typical goblin traits.

might need dfhack or some other utility to assign him a room and such.

i wish i had a goblin king =[
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 09:24:37 pm »

That is extremely curious.  But, goblins are known to rarely inhabit other sites naturally.  Toady specifically made allowances "there should sometimes be 'good-hearted' goblins who try to integrate with other cultures, but are still troublesome to the population."  Basically, if their personality traits are all on the extreme end of "friendly" for goblin, they can live in human and dwarven sites.

That's all I can imagine that happened.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 09:43:03 pm »

Oh yeah, that can happen. One of my .40d forts belongs to a dwarven civ whose entire nobility is composed of goblins, including the outpost liaison.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 10:18:00 pm »

Gorkil settled in the faceplant.

The faceplant.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 10:57:24 pm »

That is extremely curious.  But, goblins are known to rarely inhabit other sites naturally.  Toady specifically made allowances "there should sometimes be 'good-hearted' goblins who try to integrate with other cultures, but are still troublesome to the population."  Basically, if their personality traits are all on the extreme end of "friendly" for goblin, they can live in human and dwarven sites.

That's all I can imagine that happened.
also, the fact he lived over 200 years before something happened to him is fishy.  it also looks like the guy he ambushed might have been the previous king.

perhaps this goblin was milling around in the "bandit pool" throughout worldgen, then, somehow ambushed the dwarven monarch and took his place?

this particular goblin does not look particularly friendly or "good" compared to the other goblins i have observed.  he seems quite typical actually.  perhaps a bit more plain as he does not have any notable kills (most goblins end up at least murdering another goblin) no noticeable wounds....  nothing.  no spouse or children...  almost as if the goblin has never been in contact with other goblins.  it strongly suggests bandit.

another odd thing, this goblin never settled anywhere until 245 or so.  perhaps worldgen needed a historical goblin to settle somewhere, and lacking any suitable candidates, it genned one from the bandit pool.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Dish It Out!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 10:59:14 pm »

You realize he's gotta die, right?

I mean, this would be like having a Chinese woman in charge of the Japanese yakuza.  Or however it went in Kill Bill.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4