Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Are doctors suppost to be incompetent.  (Read 6384 times)

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Are doctors suppost to be incompetent.
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 01:51:53 pm »

I had no idea about this.

No longer embarking with a doctor then. Def a armorsmith/weaponsmith instead or perhaps a mech or jewelcrafter... so many choices.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 04:27:52 pm »

Can you verify that dwarves are being diagnosed and not treated?  Or perhaps they aren't being diagnosed in the first place?

Yes, on average there is a three day wait from diagnosis to treatment. Once was a month.

Sounds like you need more diagnosis labors enabled on the other doctors.  I'm jealous of your mega hospital though!  Do you have a picture you can share?
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 05:12:18 pm »

That's not accurate. Any dwarf can diagnose, Diagnosing just happens to be the skill related to CMD.

Dwarf superstition strikes again!

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 05:17:43 pm »

Isn't the personality bit a bug?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 05:25:35 pm »

Yeah dwarven healthcare is a low priority...

My suspected vampire took up a military position and was told he was to stand on top of a bridge. Someone got orders to test the drop pit functionality and he fell 5 z-levels onto steel spears. After breaking almost all of his bones and having more holes punched in him then a colander he was brought to the hospital unable to walk, unable to hold things, sensory nerve damage, and unable to breathe (how they did not figure something was up I will never know).

He was on a bed until he needed surgery and was moved to the table next to him, he is now permanently on this table and every so often he is moved to the other table for a few seconds then placed back on the first one without receiving treatment. This has gone on for about a month (my suspicions on if he was a vampire are proved since he hasn't breathed since the "accident"). He is now suffering from blood loss and infection and since he is stuck in the hospital I can't drop him again.

Anyway the moral of the story is dwarven healthcare is harmful for your dwarves.... But great for leaving vampires useless for a few centuries (or killing them with malpractice assuming they can die from infection).

Wait vampires can die from infections?

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 05:26:42 pm »

Might be, but the workaround works well. :P
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

killerx243

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 05:53:56 pm »

-snip-

Wait vampires can die from infections?

I'm assuming yes because he is now dead, although he had severe bloodloss while I was trying to dump him a few z-levels to reset his hospital visit (my attempts failed because they realized he was dead).

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 04:28:15 am »

You mean personality deciding whether a doctor prefers to actually help sick dwarves or mostly leave his post ASAP to nap, pick flowers and hang out with friends admiring a weapon trap and drinking booze? Oh, no. It's ultra-realistic, actually. If you've seen a lot of doctors you will know it.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 05:01:29 am »

You mean personality deciding whether a doctor prefers to actually help sick dwarves or mostly leave his post ASAP to nap, pick flowers and hang out with friends admiring a weapon trap and drinking booze? Oh, no. It's ultra-realistic, actually. If you've seen a lot of doctors you will know it.
I dont think it is a bug. Personality Facets affect all Dorf labors. Lazier dorfs will take breaks sooner and for longer, for instance. And dorfs that dont like the company of others will not go to a meeting hall.

I think part of the reason why it's so highlighted in Medical Dorfs is that it's a very closely watched selection of jobs, and very few dorfs doing doing them. So we're especia aware when they are not working.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2012, 05:07:52 am »

I dont think it is a bug. Personality Facets affect all Dorf labors. Lazier dorfs will take breaks sooner and for longer, for instance. And dorfs that dont like the company of others will not go to a meeting hall.

I think part of the reason why it's so highlighted in Medical Dorfs is that it's a very closely watched selection of jobs, and very few dorfs doing doing them. So we're especia aware when they are not working.

Or because it's a low priority job and hence any other tasks like recreations, that the dwarf is usually more prone to come first, isn't it?
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2012, 05:11:24 am »

Or because it's a low priority job and hence any other tasks like recreations, that the dwarf is usually more prone to come first, isn't it?
No, that doesn't hold true with dorfs who have a better Personality toward Health Care.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2012, 03:46:28 pm »

Even if it is related to personality, I'd still think it should be classified as a bug; something as minor as that should not keep a dwarf from getting medical attention for a month or more. (This happened to me recently, I'm glad it was only a minor injury or the dwarf would have died while the doctor was still on 'no job'.)

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2012, 04:00:02 pm »

Well, if you want a doctor who never goes on break, there are vampires...  ;)

I just have everyone be a doctor. Higher skill levels make things go faster once the doctor is on site, but I don't see any difference in patient outcome so long as the patient is treated quickly. With everyone being a doctor the hospital gets mobbed with dwarves tending to the injured, so everyone gets prompt attention. Seems to work well.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2012, 08:43:53 pm »

The problem was the doctor wasn't On Break, he was No Job.

This is really a blatant and horrible bug; that's the only way I can describe it.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 07:12:15 pm »

He might not care about other people.. at all.  This probably reflects real-life a little too closely, haha.
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!
Pages: 1 [2]