Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF callout at XCOM panel at PAX East  (Read 5024 times)

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
DF callout at XCOM panel at PAX East
« on: April 08, 2012, 08:11:37 am »

I was at the XCOM panel at PAX East yesterday.  The devs said that the highest difficulty level for the new XCOM (it goes from "easy" to "classic" with a toggleable ironman mode in which the computer saves your game when it feels like it, and there is only one save) will aspire more toward Dwarf Fortress style Fun than conventional fun.

It was good.

ililiilliillliii

• Bay Watcher
  • God bless you, astronaut cat
    • View Profile
Re: DF callout at XCOM panel at PAX East
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 04:23:16 pm »

it's pretty satisfying that throughout the whole gaming community, toady's magnum opus is recognized for the masterpiece that it is.  It's even better that the guys working on XCOM (a masterpiece in its own right) think highly enough of DF to casually throw references to it.

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 12:19:06 am »

it's pretty satisfying that throughout the whole gaming community, toady's magnum opus is recognized for the masterpiece that it is.  It's even better that the guys working on XCOM (a masterpiece in its own right) think highly enough of DF to casually throw references to it.

I'd call the original X-COM a masterpiece, but I'd be hesitant to call the new X-COM one until I have a chance to play it for myself.

Also, wasn't at the panel, but did see someone in a DF T-Shirt, who I naturally greeted.
500 fps vanilla 4x4 embark. intel master race.

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 03:45:35 am »

X-com Mastercraft quality?

Dwarf Fortress Artifact quality?

With spikes of adamantine of course.
"I'm sorry, so you want me to make your underpants out of cobalt or kobolds?"

"Eh, whatever"

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 07:30:17 am »

I'd call the original X-COM a masterpiece, but I'd be hesitant to call the new X-COM one until I have a chance to play it for myself.

I went to the demo yesterday, and now I'm conflicted.  They are limiting your squad to 6 soldiers (four at the outset) and the soldiers have classes (i.e., sniper, heavy, etc.) and receive special abilities as they level up.

One of the things I liked about original X-COM was that you could be fluid in how you equipped your soldiers depending on the mission--there were thousands of possible strategies and loadouts, and hundreds of successful ones hidden among the failures.  Here, it seems like they want to force you to use _their_ strategy.  Which isn't a particularly good one . . . which is why (at least in the build we saw) you can kill a muton with just one shotgun blast.

I beat Terror from the Deep on Superhuman, and it took some hella out-of-the-box thinking in order to do so--the sort of strategies that I don't think are going to be possible in this game :(

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 09:15:39 am »

6 per squad is a huge gamble in my mind. That's a huge deviation from the XCOM formula that touches many aspects of the game. Only one base is also a huge gamble. This might be a good game, but it already isn't XCOM.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 12:43:52 pm »

Well I think the problem they're having is that they are actually making a game. If they really wanted to they could whip up the original XCOM with updated graphics in no time at all. Instead they're trying to make a new game that takes the spirit of the first game and adapts it for the different market that exists ten years after the original released. If I want to play the original XCOM I'll play the original XCOM. I don't think the graphics bug any of us who play it all that much. But kids these days wouldn't relish the expendibility of troops and the sheer amount of management that the original took.

Not saying I like the trends. Just pointing out the elephant in the room.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 01:20:14 pm »

Well I think the problem they're having is that they are actually making a game. If they really wanted to they could whip up the original XCOM with updated graphics in no time at all. Instead they're trying to make a new game that takes the spirit of the first game and adapts it for the different market that exists ten years after the original released. If I want to play the original XCOM I'll play the original XCOM. I don't think the graphics bug any of us who play it all that much. But kids these days wouldn't relish the expendibility of troops and the sheer amount of management that the original took.

Not saying I like the trends. Just pointing out the elephant in the room.

Also, to be honest, the original was tedious and clunky as hell in many ways. Even routine fights that you were 100% going to win could require thirty turns of carefully manipulating twenty soldiers. Soldiers with no strength would automatically equip heavy weapons, and you wouldn't know about because there was no way to check stats at the inventory screen. Sometimes you'd get cases where instead of every man carrying a rifle, a clip, and a sidearm, you'd get one soldier with three plasma rifles, one soldier with four laser pistols, and one soldier with every single spare clip and no guns.

invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 01:56:11 pm »

I agree that it's got to be a new game, and all.  But if you're going to make a remake, I think that it's a good idea to fix what's broken and hang on to the things that worked and made the game memorable.  Especially with X-com, when you screw up the formula, you get abortions like Enforcer.  If you want to make a completely different game, make a completely different game--surfing the name recognition of the original IP is a recipe for fail.

Also, to be honest, the original was tedious and clunky as hell in many ways. Even routine fights that you were 100% going to win could require thirty turns of carefully manipulating twenty soldiers. Soldiers with no strength would automatically equip heavy weapons, and you wouldn't know about because there was no way to check stats at the inventory screen. Sometimes you'd get cases where instead of every man carrying a rifle, a clip, and a sidearm, you'd get one soldier with three plasma rifles, one soldier with four laser pistols, and one soldier with every single spare clip and no guns.

The fights that devolved into thirty turns of searching for an alien hidden in a closet could have been fixed simply by making aliens not hide in closets--I don't think that it was a matter of twenty soldiers versus four or six.  TFTD fixed the no-stats-at-the-equip-screen.  Never saw the problem with three plasma rifles--most of my guys equipped fairly reasonably, but I tended to tailor their equipment for particular missions anyway . . . the worst AI equipping happened during base defenses because of the weird item limits--I remember that often you would be stuck with a bunch of heavy plasmas or blaster launchers without any ammunition at all (if you weren't being careful to sell off your surplus stock).

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 03:59:02 pm »

I'm on the side of "tons of of soldiers got really tedious." If you tried to keep your survival rate up, a single mission could take an hour, where you'd meticulously hunt down every alien and move in cover formation across the whole map. In the beginning, that was great. Toward the end it was like "Ok, I have to bring a long a bunch of cannon fodder I don't want, just to protect the guys who get stuff done."

So yeah. I'm ok with 5 veterans and a newbie to break-in. The only difference is that it won't "feel" quite so epic as dropping 15 guys into a hot zone....but it won't be such a clusterfuck then, either.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 04:33:39 pm »

So yeah. I'm ok with 5 veterans and a newbie to break-in. The only difference is that it won't "feel" quite so epic as dropping 15 guys into a hot zone....but it won't be such a clusterfuck then, either.

But the whole idea was it could be a clusterfuck at any moment it was a fight with time to kill the brain!!!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 04:55:43 pm »

Some people like the clusterfuck at disembark. I get the impression from the devs they didn't think it was a core part of the game though. To me, having everything go south the minute you disembarked just resulted in me reloading the save. So personally I don't see a lot being lost here.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 05:55:39 pm »

Now, if the hardest difficulty gave you 7 soldiers, who were short, and had beards, and the 'aliens' were giant badger husks...
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 06:42:34 pm »

Play Xenonauts if you want a remake of the original. The new X-Com sounds interesting, but we'll have to play and see if it's any good since it's very different to the original.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 11:04:20 pm »

I haven't been following the new XCOM too closely, but I'd also say that a demo released for an expo is oftentimes just a quickly-rushed-out prop with kludge mechanics while the real thing is still being built. 

I wouldn't look at a demo and say that they are necessarily constraining you to just the one strategy that works right away, as they may have many more strategies planned that just aren't working enough to show off at a demo.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: [1] 2