DS
LordSlowpoke
Lovecraft
Vanaheimer
Uthric
Lordraymond
dumamisdeos

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18

Author Topic: Idea: Ultimate Fortress  (Read 40069 times)

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
Re: Idea: Ultimate Fortress
« Reply #150 on: April 06, 2012, 12:32:44 am »

I nominate myself, because I have nothing better to do and I'm definitely in the top seven for uncaringness towards burning oiled kittens being slid across halls.

Also, this could be either a disaster, amazing, or, far more likely, both!
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 06, 2012, 12:55:16 am »

And to answer your question that I just saw, Talv, make it five - I'm doing the hosting/capturing for the time being, thus would make sense for me to be in it. I don't think we have to vote on Girlinhat.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 06, 2012, 12:58:02 am »

I'd be happy to do a quick succession/community game, if scheduling the live co-op fortress proves to be impossible.

Is that a nomination? I encourage you to. If planning doesn't work out, the worst that can happen is you being replaced by a runner-up.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

TacoSundae

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 06, 2012, 10:13:34 am »

I have a nice server which I am willing to donate for hosting purposes.

I am probably not a great player candidate as all of my numerous fortresses have ended in !!Fun!! quite quickly.

it is a 2.66GHz Q9400 w/ 4GB of ram hosted in San Antonio, TX.

Running CentOS 5

Currently it is just my dev machine, so it is under no load

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #154 on: April 06, 2012, 10:16:09 am »

all of my numerous fortresses have ended in !!Fun!! quite quickly.
+9001

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 06, 2012, 10:56:38 am »

I would just like to point out.  Bloodshed and uncaring doesn't make you a good designer.  This is not "the top 7 most brutal overseers" but rather "the top 7 best fortress builders".

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #156 on: April 06, 2012, 12:02:33 pm »

Ah but new players come with ideas free from the forums hive mind. Interesting things happen.

Lovecraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 06, 2012, 12:04:15 pm »

I agree with girlinhat.

The point of this is to create a fortress with the aid of seven of the most brilliant minds this community has to offer. A fortress that is capable, not only of getting the highest kill count, but of combining the the sheer brilliance of so many dwarfish minds toward a single goal. Fun. We will conquer the clowns, we will touch the skies, we will bring death to our enemies with fire, water and steel. Let no mega project go untried, let no !science! project either. But should ever this fort no longer entertain us, let us not go out with a whimper, let it never be said that seven of the greatest fortress builders of our time let this fortress fall in shame. Let us build the very peak of dwarfish innovation and smash it with our combined power. Let us have an end so glorious that it will outshine all dwarfish ends before it.

I think I got a little off topic.

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 06, 2012, 12:14:53 pm »

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 06, 2012, 12:24:54 pm »

http://www.touropia.com/largest-castles-in-the-world/
i will just leave this here...

Forget those castles. If you wanted to create a masterpiece of architecture in castle form it would have to be this gorgeous piece of work.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 06, 2012, 12:44:26 pm »

Just out of curiosity, when do you plan to start the vote?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 06, 2012, 01:40:50 pm »

I would just like to point out.  Bloodshed and uncaring doesn't make you a good designer.  This is not "the top 7 most brutal overseers" but rather "the top 7 best fortress builders".
Very, very well said. *applauds*

I second this. I think we have enough potential players now, right, acetech?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 06, 2012, 05:03:26 pm »

Very, very well said. *applauds*

I agree, but we should also select overseers who, together, represent a variety of credentials.

I second this. I think we have enough potential players now, right, acetech?

The thread has only been up for a couple days... it may be that some have simply not yet seen the project.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 06, 2012, 05:25:15 pm »

I nominate myself!

Pros: Have played (successfully) in a variety of settings, including evil, ocean/saltwater (also evil), good, desert, no surface water, high savagery, etc.
        Have created many fun things, like an automatic anti-intruder cave crocodile delivery system.
        Have run a fort of 450+ dwarves without it ending in a tantrum spiral. No, that ended in a steel firebreathing forgotten beast spiral, combined with a goblin siege.
        The biggest pro: Easy-going, not afraid of having my ideas shot down, not afraid to go with someone elses ideas instead of my own, not afraid to consider that your idea may
        simply outclass mine, etc. I am not THAT GUY. But I do have good/dorfy/thats a bit oxymoronic but hey good ideas as a general thing  :P

Cons: I have never played DF on a multiplayer server.
         *possible con* - I run on American Eastern Standard Time. By that time, I am free after 9pm. Possibly before or in the morningtime, but thats the constant.

I'd be excited and honored to be part of this. I guess we all log onto Ventrilo or a similar program, then discuss plans and have Acetech implement them? Righteous.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 06, 2012, 05:30:43 pm »

I might as well put up a few reason as to why I nominate myself:

1) I AM indeed a brutal overseer, but I usually try to keep my dwarves alive as long as they're useful in some way. 'Course, Urist McNolimbs gets flushed down the magma sink, but Urist McNolegs can at least haul slowly.

2) I'm great with military-related things and metal production, so I could possibly be in charge of that. I'm also a good designer for underground fortresses.

3) I have more than enough time to do this pretty much whenever

I can't do skype but I can do Teamspeak or Ventrillo just fine. My laptop has a built-in microphone that Skype doesn't like to recognize for some reason.
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18