DS
LordSlowpoke
Lovecraft
Vanaheimer
Uthric
Lordraymond
dumamisdeos

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18

Author Topic: Idea: Ultimate Fortress  (Read 40078 times)

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
Re: Idea: Ultimate Fortress
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2012, 11:34:30 am »

We've never actually seen a Toady fort though.  For all we know, he's producing adamantine spires and solid steel walls that menace with spikes of elf bone and dwarven sweat.

I can't place it exactly, but I recall hearing on one of the DF Talks that Toady rarely (if at all) plays DF for fun, and primarily makes forts for bugtesting purposes - but that the Army arc is what would actually make him want to play recreationally.

An all-star fort is a fascinating concept, but yeah, getting 7 particularly well-known players from around the world on board with a co-op fortress is a scheduling nightmare. It would be easier to do a quick turn (one season) community fort with a handful of people for a similar effect, as was suggested earlier in this thread.

Also, I nominate myself.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2012, 11:36:19 am »

I'd be happy to do a quick succession/community game, if scheduling the live co-op fortress proves to be impossible.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2012, 11:37:50 am »

Also, I nominate myself.

Would you even need votes to get in? You made Weatherwires for crying out loud, otherwise known as the best thing to ever happen, that makes you the most qualified applicant so far.

Full support on this, interest levels up by 300%.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2012, 11:38:42 am »

Oh fuck, we're going to have another epic thunderdome.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 05, 2012, 11:41:04 am »

Haha, I haven't used Dwarf Therapist since 31.25. While I was waiting on it, I got seduced by the awesomeness of flying by the seat of my pants. Plus, it helps with remembering more about your dwarves, thus immersing you a bit more in everything going on.

@LW and KodKod - thank you. :) Thank you very much.

We've never actually seen a Toady fort though.  For all we know, he's producing adamantine spires and solid steel walls that menace with spikes of elf bone and dwarven sweat.

I can't place it exactly, but I recall hearing on one of the DF Talks that Toady rarely (if at all) plays DF for fun, and primarily makes forts for bugtesting purposes - but that the Army arc is what would actually make him want to play recreationally.

An all-star fort is a fascinating concept, but yeah, getting 7 particularly well-known players from around the world on board with a co-op fortress is a scheduling nightmare. It would be easier to do a quick turn (one season) community fort with a handful of people for a similar effect, as was suggested earlier in this thread.

Also, I nominate myself.
That's where I heard it - the DF talks. I knew I'd heard it somewhere.

You have my vote. Weatherwires more than earns you a position, I think. Excellent story. You, sir, are definitely a DF elite, by my standards.

I doubt anyone will vote for me, but I'll gladly take a stab at it. I hereby nominate myself. :P

I vote for you. Fuckberries, with the evident lack of confidence around here you can have that for going against the grain. I hate the grain.

This should be interesting if it ever gets off the ground though, I can just imagine seven voices screaming at each other in disagreement and suddenly silenced, whilst certain larger-than-life figures end up pretty much taking charge of the whole project, pushing everyone else’s opinions to the side. And the resentment will brew and brew until... flashpoint! Somebody snaps, tempers are flared, voices are raised... chaos abounds!

I have to make sure that I’m watching when that happens, Armok damn I love animosity; it's the most glorious thing in the world. I couldn't do it myself; I'd explode on people just for not having colour-matched furniture. What’s that, you want to know if using Microcline in the dining room is acceptable? Well how about I kill you in your sleep, is that acceptable?

1. Thank you again.
2. I have a feeling even those playing will want to see this all again. It'll be chaotic, and nobody will be quite sure what everybody else is doing (unless we're on some sort of group-voicechat program such as Skype, which I would highly suggest being done if someone hasn't already).
3. I wouldn't be a good choice as a companion for you after all. :( I don't really care what color my chairs are.

And finally... I've been tripleninja'd.

Edit:
Forgot to respond to this. Hopefully we wouldn't have to resort to a one-season thing, but if that's what it takes to get the best of the best in here, I'd settle for it. Not all happily, though.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 11:44:05 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

orrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2012, 11:48:05 am »

I'm contributing a challenge for the fortress; create and weaponize a WereGiantSpermWhaleHusk.  I'm convinced engineering one of those would be the pinnacle of this version.

Also, I nominate Quantum Sawdust, if you can somehow dig him up.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2012, 12:59:00 pm »

Also, I nominate myself.

Would you even need votes to get in? You made Weatherwires for crying out loud, otherwise known as the best thing to ever happen, that makes you the most qualified applicant so far.

That's a putting it rather liberally, but thanks. In any case, I'm extremely busy, but it would be cool to collaborate directly with other forumites, particularly more scientifically-minded overseers like Girlinhat. Weatherwires was a little grand in scope, so please don't expect anything resembling it for this project (god, that dome took fucking forever).
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2012, 01:06:18 pm »

That's a putting it rather liberally, but thanks. In any case, I'm extremely busy, but it would be cool to collaborate directly with other forumites, particularly more scientifically-minded overseers like Girlinhat. Weatherwires was a little grand in scope, so please don't expect anything resembling it for this project (god, that dome took fucking forever).

Oh I wouldn’t expect that a collaborative effort could ever accomplish something as glorious as Weatherwires turned out to be, but the fact that you have the mindset to pull off something like that, which is all too rare, ought to make any fort with your input into an interesting development at the least. 

And if it involves a struggle against adversity, as Dwarf Fortress tends to, then all the better.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2012, 03:04:54 pm »

Nominations:
Acetech09 has made me in charge of the list of nominees, so this post may be edited frequently. To be included in this list, you must nominate yourself. Voting will come later. I'll add you in as soon as I know you've nominated yourself.

1. acetech09
2. Girlinhat
3. wierd
4. SRD
5. Loud Whispers
6. tommy251
7. Deathsword
8. Talvieno
9. DS
10. LordSlowpoke
11. Lovecraft
12. Vanaheimer
13. Uthric
14. Lordraymond
15. dumamisdeos

_____

We could use more self-nominations! I'm guessing all voters get 7 votes each, right, acetech?

Finally, off topic, but figuring out how LW has the changing picture is easy. Right-click on his avatar (whichever it happens to be), click "copy image URL" and then read what you've copied.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 11:53:11 pm by Talvieno »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 05, 2012, 03:20:32 pm »

Well, saw the OP, were meaning to post to follow, then read a specific post on page 8.

Might as well nominate myself here - you'll need another suspicious person to designate as executor and watch as he manages to cave in everything within less than 30 seconds.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #130 on: April 05, 2012, 03:32:34 pm »

Finally, off topic, but figuring out how LW has the changing picture is easy. Right-click on his avatar (whichever it happens to be), click "copy image URL" and then read what you've copied.

Or you could ask me ^_^

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 05, 2012, 04:08:39 pm »

Or you could ask me ^_^
way too easy. =P that's the elven way.

Adding you to my list-post, LordSlowpoke.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 05, 2012, 04:46:58 pm »

I'd like to point out that it was by copying LW's avatar url that I found out how to make my own.

Regardless if I end up getting to take part in this or not, the madness will be glorious.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Lovecraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 05, 2012, 06:03:54 pm »

I nominate myself for this endevor. I step forward for all of dwarfkind and offer you my humblest service so that...(mumbling in backround) What do you mean they need my credentials! (more mumbling) All right fine.

I can kill a kitten without a thought,
goblin sieges are all for nought,
inhumanbeardless monsters I can control,
while on a calming garden stroll.

Watch as your dwarves they come to me,
the very picture of dwarfanity,
their saviour, their god,
LOVECRAAAAAAAAFT!

Megalomania sold seperately.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 06:06:13 pm by Lovecraft »

wierd

• Bay Watcher