Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.4%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 211 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 174 (27%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 642

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 733527 times)

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense: New official thread.
« Reply #585 on: January 29, 2013, 05:47:05 am »

@Whiplash

Stonesense doesn't save any state information between times you load up DF, so the time you maximized it and it "flipped out" can't be the root cause. 

If it was working properly before this, as your post indicates, then something must have changed to make it not work.  Try making a clean install of DF and DFHack in another folder, and see if that's working.  If the fresh version doesn't work, then you have a problem with your system - possibly an OS update or driver update broke something; try to make sure your operating system and video drivers are all updated. 

If the fresh version DOES work, then it is a problem with DF or DFHack or Stonesense.  Try generating a new world and viewing a fort there in Stonesense.  If the new fort doesn't load, then it is a Stonesense/DFHack problem, and you should probably just try reinstalling DFHack (or at least replacing stonesense/init.txt and deleting all the log files). 

If the new fort DOES load, then it is likely that your current fort just got old enough to fill memory to the point where there's nowhere left for Stonesense to live.  You can try viewing the memory footprint of DF (on windows that'll be in the task manager under the memory heading), since when DF swells to around 1.6Gb of memory, Stonesense can't load anymore because there's nowhere to put the images in memory.  All you can do in this case is try to trim the largest images (probably the large creature sprites) out of your load order, and optionally try running some of the DFHack stuff to clean stuff out of your map (like cleanspatter and autodump-destroy). 

If none of that helps then I dunno. 
where is up?

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: January 29, 2013, 11:36:27 am »

Got baseline humans in.  Still don't have weapons or armor, and they don't have any hair yet, but clothes are almost completely done (I think I still have veils to do). 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Main objective here was to make sure they didn't look like elves, and I think that's a success. 

Japa also has patterns working, so I need to see about getting colored eyes working.  Couple ideas on that.  The human template is also planned to be used by the various animal-persons whenever I get to working on those. 
where is up?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: January 29, 2013, 01:21:41 pm »

They're all so piratey! What are they wearing on their heads?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Whiplash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: January 29, 2013, 06:35:22 pm »

@Whiplash

Stonesense doesn't save any state information between times you load up DF, so the time you maximized it and it "flipped out" can't be the root cause. 

If it was working properly before this, as your post indicates, then something must have changed to make it not work.  Try making a clean install of DF and DFHack in another folder, and see if that's working.  If the fresh version doesn't work, then you have a problem with your system - possibly an OS update or driver update broke something; try to make sure your operating system and video drivers are all updated. 

If the fresh version DOES work, then it is a problem with DF or DFHack or Stonesense.  Try generating a new world and viewing a fort there in Stonesense.  If the new fort doesn't load, then it is a Stonesense/DFHack problem, and you should probably just try reinstalling DFHack (or at least replacing stonesense/init.txt and deleting all the log files). 

If the new fort DOES load, then it is likely that your current fort just got old enough to fill memory to the point where there's nowhere left for Stonesense to live.  You can try viewing the memory footprint of DF (on windows that'll be in the task manager under the memory heading), since when DF swells to around 1.6Gb of memory, Stonesense can't load anymore because there's nowhere to put the images in memory.  All you can do in this case is try to trim the largest images (probably the large creature sprites) out of your load order, and optionally try running some of the DFHack stuff to clean stuff out of your map (like cleanspatter and autodump-destroy). 

If none of that helps then I dunno.
It seems to be a problem with DF memory swelling. With the fort loaded I'm at 1.7 gb memory. I guess I can't use stonesense then, oh well.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 29, 2013, 10:18:59 pm »

Got baseline humans in.  Still don't have weapons or armor, and they don't have any hair yet, but clothes are almost completely done (I think I still have veils to do). 

Main objective here was to make sure they didn't look like elves, and I think that's a success. 

Japa also has patterns working, so I need to see about getting colored eyes working.  Couple ideas on that.  The human template is also planned to be used by the various animal-persons whenever I get to working on those.
My first thought was: "did they get facial features displayed already?" then I realized there were only 2 types of faces, one for men one for women.

By the way the men face reminded me of popeye...  :P

Edit: wait a minute... there's a third type of face... are you guys messing around with displaying facial features?
Edit 2: popeye the sailor man, popeye the sailor man, argh!!!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 10:21:13 pm by Kaos »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: January 29, 2013, 10:49:28 pm »

My first thought was: "did they get facial features displayed already?" then I realized there were only 2 types of faces, one for men one for women.

By the way the men face reminded me of popeye...  :P

Edit: wait a minute... there's a third type of face... are you guys messing around with displaying facial features?
Edit 2: popeye the sailor man, popeye the sailor man, argh!!!

I think that 3rd face is just a dwarven adventurer.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: January 29, 2013, 11:15:39 pm »

yeah. due to size restrictions, everybody is the same height

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: January 30, 2013, 12:08:04 am »

Them's some purty humans.

Whiplash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: January 31, 2013, 01:05:01 pm »

I'd just like to mention that I found a workaround to get stonesense working again by applying the large address aware tag to the DF executable. So no more crashes and I can use stonesense again which is nice.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: February 01, 2013, 04:51:55 pm »

Got some basic hair working, and finished up the missing headwear.  Here's a sample:

Next up is armor. 
where is up?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: February 01, 2013, 06:04:04 pm »

Those mustaches.

Magnificent.

And I see the phantom of the operah there.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: February 01, 2013, 08:56:50 pm »

Is that naked human named Quagmire? gigidy!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: February 02, 2013, 03:52:41 pm »

Is that naked human named Quagmire? gigidy!
Wrong hair color and has facial hair. Though, could be disguise. The chin seems about right...

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #598 on: February 03, 2013, 10:33:11 am »

I finally finished these... after two years. The metamorphic ramps.

They were the big thing that was holding a Grim Dark 0.3 release back. I'm handig these over to Caldfir, because he was restructuring the xml.

I also set up a tumblr, where I'll post screens and progress, and there's a taks list there that's hardwired to the tasklist in my thunderbird, so that updates live.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: February 03, 2013, 03:56:05 pm »

I was wondering why those just showed up in the Stonesense Dropbox. Those are looking great!

And the same goes for the humans,  of course. Love the Domino Mask.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 85