Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.4%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 211 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 174 (27%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 642

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 726347 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense: New release!
« Reply #675 on: March 15, 2013, 04:12:54 pm »

Look at the r2 in that URL. then look here

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #676 on: April 04, 2013, 07:18:20 am »

Guess this might not be worst place to ask, slinghtly on topic:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: April 14, 2013, 01:13:17 am »

Not sure where else to go with this:

Have a fort that's about 2 years old, and using dfhack. Every time I try to load up Stonesense through dfHack, I get the following:
Cannot load image: stonesense/terrain/Tracks_Ramps_128.png
six times. I've gone in and looked at the image in question: no problem with it. Looking at a post earlier in the thread, I've cut down on processes running on the computer to clear up memory and no dice. Any way around this? I'd love to see how my dome and tower are looking.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #678 on: April 14, 2013, 09:27:11 am »

a two year old fort really shouldn't take up that much ram... How much ram does you df-process take up, just to be sure?

If it were a xml problem, more people should have trouble with it :x
it's strange...

@zwei, I'm sorry, but those are the only ones I know off.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: April 14, 2013, 10:15:36 am »

About 417k memory. It's rather small, mostly topside, working on a dome megaproject.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: April 14, 2013, 02:11:23 pm »

Try commenting out Track_Ramps.xml from terrain/index.txt (using # or just removing the line) and see if stonesense loads for you. 

What seems likely is that your video card might be a bit old, and can't handle images over 2048x2048 (this is a common cutoff).  If you can live without ramp tracks, just leaving that line commented is probably the best option. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 01:44:43 am by Caldfir »
where is up?

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: April 14, 2013, 06:20:03 pm »

Didn't see any init.txt within the terrain folder, just index.txt; Tried to edit out "Tracks_Ramps.xml" from that file, and even pulled Tracks_Floors.xml with it, and removed the .xml and two .png files from the folder entirely. No combination of these measures made any difference.

You're not necessarily wrong, Caldfir, as I'm using a relatively dated laptop with a Radeon x1200 video card. But dfHack doesn't seem to take any note of the change in the file.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: April 15, 2013, 01:45:29 am »

whoops - meant index.txt

modified my previous post with the correction
where is up?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #683 on: April 15, 2013, 02:11:56 am »

whoops - meant index.txt

modified my previous post with the correction

I love how you responded to that, but not to how what he describes is impossible: he removes all the misbehaving files, yet stonesense still claims to have a problem with them?!

@capnurist, are you sure you are editing the right files? does it still give the same error message? or does it now refer to a different file?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: April 15, 2013, 01:43:55 pm »

Heh, yeah I don't think I read that very thoroughly. 

You can try replacing the image file with a smaller one and see if that loads (just copy some other image and give it the same name).  You would end up with messed-up graphics for ramps, but at least it would verify that the problem is the size of that image. 

My only guess is that the image in question might be referenced in other files as well.  Try removing xml files from index.txt until it loads (or the error message changes), or alternately try searching the folder for xml files containing the image's name and remove those from the index. 
where is up?

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: April 18, 2013, 09:20:45 am »

This is goddamn strange.

@therahedwig: Yes, positive. Just to be sure, I've been editing ALL the pertinent files...
@Caldfir: Tried copying Track_Ramps.png and renaming the copy Track_Ramps_128.png, and moving the original.
Tried searching through the files, and removed Track_Ramps.xml from the index.
Tried changing every instance of "Track_Ramps_128.png" in the .xml to just "Track_Ramps.png".
Tried REMOVING every tag that had "Track_Ramps_128.png" from the .xml

Absolutely no change. Apparently this is hard-coded somewhere.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #686 on: April 18, 2013, 09:34:45 am »

Which should be near impossible, because Stonesense retreives all it's data from the xml framework. I have a hard time believing Japa or Caldfir would hard-reference the tracks.

One last thing to try: Redownload dfhack.
Occasionally downloads can get corrupted, maybe it did something funny to stonesense?

These situations make me wish Peterix posted the md5checksum of his files.

Other than that, it's up to Japa and Caldfir to search the code.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: April 18, 2013, 10:22:23 am »

Yeah, I haven't hard-coded anything that I know of.

Whats the result when you turn on verbose logging?

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: April 18, 2013, 02:52:23 pm »

Ack... just realized I haven't been editing the files in the DF folder itself, merely a copy of dfhack's contents sitting on desktop. Brainfart due to exhaustion, most likely (kids make think hard).

After going through the steps again and removing Track_Ramps_128.png, I can get it to create an image, but... Well, see for yourself:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: April 18, 2013, 02:57:58 pm »

That... looks like you have major videocard problems.

About the only thing I can suggest is try changing the drawmode in stonesense/init.txt
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 85