Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.4%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 211 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 174 (27%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 642

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 733342 times)

chrisadams3997

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense: New official thread.
« Reply #330 on: June 21, 2012, 09:04:20 pm »

Finished the rough stone floors and made a couple of new log sprites(Dervish's was just a place holder):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I had to make a slightly different floor tile for between stone layers and for exposed floor so I could keep the jagged edge on actual floors while keeping them out of the rock profile (see the visible line at each layer in my previous pictures that are now deliciously gone)

« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 09:12:03 pm by chrisadams3997 »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 21, 2012, 09:50:35 pm »

I've heard of some kind of large address aware "patch" for DF floating around. What effect would that have on SS and the out of memory issue with the CTRL+F5?

Here's the original thread for that.

So then... yes? It should solve the issue? Except that people would have to have the .exe "patched" for it to work.

Japa, Do you think you could allow CTRL+F5 again, but make some kind of warning first or something that it might crash if runs out of memory?

The issue is already solved entirely in the latest version.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 22, 2012, 12:38:20 am »

Finished the rough stone floors and made a couple of new log sprites(Dervish's was just a place holder):

I had to make a slightly different floor tile for between stone layers and for exposed floor so I could keep the jagged edge on actual floors while keeping them out of the rock profile (see the visible line at each layer in my previous pictures that are now deliciously gone)

Wow! This is really looking good!
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Flobulon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 22, 2012, 09:25:01 am »

Looks wonderful chrisadams, can't wait to see more. Oh, and cool fort :)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 22, 2012, 10:08:12 am »

QUESTION!

For those that have stonesense. Are you able to switch whole grahic mods the same way you can do Mayday graphic sets and such?

The reason I ask is, as things become more and more pretty and more advanced in graphics, I find myself enjoying the "old school" 16bit look.
So was wondering if there was a download of the 16bit versiosn at it's most complete.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 22, 2012, 10:20:59 am »

You can indeed, and it's even easier to change them, if they're set up right.

In the stonesense folder, there's subfolders for creatures, terrain, buildings, etc. in each of those is a file called index.txt. From there you can enable and disable sets of sprites by selectively putting hashes in front of lines. (hash makes the line get ignored)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 22, 2012, 12:07:13 pm »

Ok, ill have to look...

I would like to put together a "Retro" stonesense look, like something that you would play on a Super Nintendo :D Not just a few things, but everything.
Right now, we have this mix of older 16bit stuff and for more advanced graphics
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 22, 2012, 12:12:18 pm »

Just as a note, you can make low rez sprites in the same way you can make high rez ones, if you want to save video memory.

chrisadams3997

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 22, 2012, 08:53:40 pm »

Wow! This is really looking good!
Looks wonderful chrisadams, can't wait to see more. Oh, and cool fort :)

Thanks guys  ;D.

Just a quick first shot at water:

I like it in the smaller stream, but could tile better in larger areas as in the second picture.  Good enough for now though I think, I've got a lot more ground to cover.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 22, 2012, 09:09:36 pm »

Oh, if you're gonna do water, there's a hell of a lot of conditional spriting that can be done for things like waterfalls.

Also, DFHack's just been updated.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 09:32:20 pm by Japa »

chrisadams3997

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 22, 2012, 09:53:38 pm »

Oh, if you're gonna do water, there's a hell of a lot of conditional spriting that can be done for things like waterfalls.

Oh, really... cause they could really use some love.  I've just used the same 8 tile approach (for the different water depths) with a surface and some 'volume' underneath it that the default stonesense water uses, which works fine until you get to, well, waterfalls.  If you give me a rundown of what we can do, I'll see what I can make happen.

Also, DFHack's just been updated.

Sweet, been waiting on that.  I saw something from one of the folks in the dfhack that was using a compiled version from the dev code that there was some stonesense changes, what's new that I should be aware of?

edit:
One more new sprite for the evening, wood bins:

« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 10:12:00 pm by chrisadams3997 »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 22, 2012, 10:18:04 pm »

Huh, weird. Apparently, I had /planned/ to support it more advanced water stuff, but never actually did. Right now, all that's specially supported is water direction, plus the usual animation stuff.

chrisadams3997

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 23, 2012, 05:02:10 pm »

That's a real shame, I just got my waterfalls going to.

I took time today to actually play my fortress, so not much new per say, but I did add in some more of Dervishe's furniture I liked.  He did such a great job with the dressers and coffers, I can't imagine why I'd make my own of those.  That said, the edges tended to blend with the surroundings too much because of the fine lines.  I did something I've been doing with my building/item sprites and added a bit of outline to them via paint shop.  Not only does it make them stand out better at all zooms, it helps them stick better to the style of Caldfir's Dwarves and other creatures.   

I also wanted to show how the water looks when not necessarily flat.  It still looks good, I do wish it could be made to play a little nicer with ramps, but I don't know how that could be done since there's no geometry there, just sprites.  Also finished working on the sub-sprites for the stone doors so the handles can be made to face in towards each other on double doors.  So I lied, I did manage to accomplish a few things...

Still a ton of work to do though...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 05:07:21 pm by chrisadams3997 »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 23, 2012, 07:17:36 pm »

I think I'll try to get the extra water stuff working today, but no promises.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 23, 2012, 08:11:34 pm »

Does Stonesense support tile variation? I was looking at the picture of the bins posted recently and I was thinking that if there were multiple versions of that specific tile, say an off center version or something, Stonesense could pick between them randomly and you'd end up with some more appealing stockpiles.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 85