Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lakehome: A new fort  (Read 5737 times)

wyldmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lakehome: A new fort
« on: April 04, 2012, 06:36:16 am »

So, I thought I'd try out posting my fort's progress after lurking on these forums for so long.

I have just began a new fort, populated by 7 foolish dorfs hard working volunteers.
My brave pioneers have set forth from The Mines of Attacking, and settled an area that is one third scorched wasteland, one third tropical jungle, and one third savage lake.
Flux stone is present, as well as a lava tube and adamantine (reveal.exe used to make sure I'd have some FUN later on).

Present in the territory staked by The Perfect Steel are:
The Jungle of Apogees (Scorching, Untamed Wild, Tropical Coniferous Forest)
The Tender Hill (Scorching, Untamed Wild, Tropical Shrubland)
and The Lakes of Wood (Warm, Untamed Wild, Tropical Freshwater Lake)

There is a depressing lack of trees in the lake, and the shrubland does NOT look very tender.  I'm not certain how a jungle can have an apogee, much less multiple, but my dwarves have been instructed to keep their eyes out for any strange orbits.

And here are the 7 members of The Perfect Steel:
Rigoth Kekimgeshud:  The groups fisher, chef, brewer, and mechanic.  She is very gifted, and excels at empathy, intuition, music, spatial sense, and relationships.  Oddly, she was the only female to join the expedition, but is likely the most gifted.
Sakzul Rigothostuk:  He is the woodworker (and wood cutter), and is trained for combat.  However, he has poor focus, no creativity, and very little patience.  Plus he is clumsy and quick to tire.  But at least he has good empathy.  Though he'll probably just use his axe!
Udib Tosidisak:  The doctor for the group, with training in tanning and fashioning leather, as well as basic knowledge of how to hold a pick.  He is very social, musical, and patient.  He has an incredible memory, talent for language, and spatial sense.  However he isn't very analytical.
Atir Belalerith:  Atir is responsible for helping to fund the teams first trades, and is trained in stonecrafting, weaponsmithing, and mining.  He is not patient, but has incredible analytical abilities.
Bomrek Morulalnis:  The builder for the group, he has trained in masonry, stone detailing, butchery, and mining.  He has excellent social skills, but bad intuition.
Endok Dastmeng:  The group's leader, and initial mayor.  Endok's skills focus on helping to keep the other members happy, and his knowledge of trading, but he is also a barely proficient miner.  He has a great deal of empathy, spatial sense, and intellect, but is weak in focus, memory, language, music, and kinesthetics.
Ral Libashfeb:  Ral is the farmer for the group, and dabbles in dyes and plant gathering, as well as weaving and tailoring.  He is tough and has tons of willpower, but slow to heal and terrible language skills.

With them, they have brought many supplies, 9 hens, a rooster, a cat, and 3 dogs.  A camel and horse pull their cart.

As they reach the location, they are stuck on the north-east side of the lake, where the land drops down below the surface level of the lake.  A trio of alligators, one hippo, some otter people, a giant otter, a giant sponge, and a few hamster people dot the landscape.
Plans are quickly drawn up, and the dwarves get to work carving out enough space into the ground to protect themselves and their supplies!

Dorfing is available.  I'll try to make a seasonal post, and I'm open to ideas.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 07:35:48 am by wyldmage »

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: Lakehome: A new fort
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 07:05:34 am »

Good work! Always nice to see other people's stories. One question, just how big is that embark?
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 07:09:35 am »

wyldmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 07:12:59 am »

Summer has arrived quite quickly, but much progress has been made.

A comfortable entry corridor, with attached stairwell was carved from the visible face of stone in the far NE of the territory.
This shall serve as easy access to the surface for whatever use that is.
Up in the layer of clay, a vast room was dug, and the dwarves began moving all the goods into it for safety.
A bit TOO zealously.  Less important items had to be forbid for now so that the simpletons would focus on actual necessary work (like making beds!).

A few plots were dug out for farms as well, and Plump Helmets and Quarry Bushes were planted.  More mushrooms will be planted this season, and the other 2 plots are designated for Sweet Pods and Cave Wheat.  Finally a dormitory and office were created in the dirt.  Not the nicest rooms, but once the furniture is done, they'll suffice.
Several pits are being dug from the surface for future surface-plant farming, and then a graveyard is planned.
After that, the miners have been instructed to begin digging downward and outward!

-----------------------------

Caddy:  The Embark is 4x5 (it was 4x4, but I re-embarked to get the cool slope in the northeast to work with).  It is a really tiny lake (or looks that way, it occupies another 3 or 4 embark squares further west for a total of 8-10).
Also of note, I'm working with a pop cap of 140, and trying to figure out my animal control early so that I don't end up hitting low FPS and 200 dwarves by year 5 like I usually do.

Loud:  I used it only to make sure I had the adamantine.  My last fort went 6 years before I finally figured out that my only magma was from the sea (oh, and my first cavern level for some reason was 35 levels below the surface), and I had only 1 spire total, equally far down).
Was really frustrating!  That's not true for this map, and the map has been unrevealed for good.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 07:29:27 am »

Dont use imageshack to upload your files, use dropbox or min.us, so we wont have the incredibly egoistic 'uploaded by imageshack.us' thingy under it (egoistic of the imageshack people to do, not egoistic of you)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 07:30:25 am »

Don't you mean EgoTistic?
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 07:33:34 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Do people really not know how to delete the [URL] parts?

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 07:45:39 am »

Do people really not know how to delete the [URL] parts?

Maybe we just like to annoy you :-P Seriously though, you could try and be nicer, it will probably get better results.

Should include screenshots with each update Sir wyldmage.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 07:48:54 am »

It's better if you constantly read all of my posts with disbelief, it was directed at miauw62 :I

Maybe we just like to annoy you :-P Seriously though, you could try and be nicer, it will probably get better results.

1. Not even mad
2. Not being mean
3. Better results? If you don't say it, it'll never happen

Honestly I feel like just because I don't use smileys people always read things negatively

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 07:56:09 am »

Im probably just reading everything negatively after hours dodging psychos on americas highways.

I will just go back to my hidey hole.

A thousand apoligies Lord Loud Whispers.

wyldmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 08:04:41 am »

Do people really not know how to delete the URL parts?

Edited it out.  Forgot about that tag (added the pic last minute).

----------------------------

Autumn is here!

Summer brought the first wave of migrants to the fort.  Attracted by the prospect of no dead dwarves (yet), 5 new (hopefully) hard workers have arrived.  It is two married couples with one child.

Etur Kekimkol:  A dabbling farmer/fisher and competent speardwarf, who arrived with his wife Onul.
Ineth Bomrekkivish:  He is the child of Rakust and Rovod.  Ten years old.
Onul Thobrulush:  Etur's wife, and quite unskilled.  Knows a bit about animal training, trapping, and dissection.
Rakust Isdencatten:  A fisherdwarf and competent speardwarf.  He arrived with his wife Rovod and son Ineth.
Rovod Oggezmafol:  A similarly unskilled wife, she is barely trained in animal training, animal care, and hunting.

Very boring skills to receive, and both couples are very similar!  Oh well.  Rovod has been assigned carpentry duty (freeing up Sakzul).  Onul and Rakust are going to help Bomrek with masonry and engraving.  Etur is signing on as a fisher, allowing Rigoth to grab up one of the picks (that Atir dropped to focus on stonecrafting).
At least two of them have some basic combat skills!

The graveyard area has been finished, so any casualties that occur at least have somewhere to go so I don't have to worry about ghosts.
The farm plots are likewise complete, and digging has begun on a large cavern below the entry level.  It is intended for a few workshops and stockpiles.

Other high priorities for my miners are preparing a hospital zone and starting work on living quarters.

If I do more screenshots, what do people want to see?  I tend to build very vertical, so after the first year or so, it'd take a lot of screenshots to show the fort itself.

Ground level (S-1)
(S-2)
(S-3)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 08:13:00 am »

animal training is now actually a quite useful skill. Go on to train giant black mambas.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

wyldmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 08:15:03 am »

animal training is now actually a quite useful skill. Go on to train giant black mambas.

I said boring, not bad :)
I embarked with someone as good at animal training as them though.

I didn't realize both women have archery skill though (not much).
At least they're worth something :P

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 08:17:57 am »

I feel like making a badger army.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

wyldmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 08:44:12 am »

Winter has arrived.

We had some more migrants arrive (5 again).
Kivish and her husband Sazir arrived, with one of her 3 children with them.
And Stodir and his wife Meng came as well.

Meng is a comptetent stonecrafter as well as novice beekeeper, but nobody else has professions that will make a huge difference.
Kivish has been assigned to Furnace duty, and will be gathering plants from the surface with the rest of her time.
Meng was told to help with any stone detailing that needs doing (minimal), and do wait for a few hives and a bee tower to be constructed.
Sazir has been put in charge of the wood furnace and assorted soap making duties.
Stodir is helping with any mason work until more picks are made.

The caravan arrived, but just as they showed up, a Black Mamba jumped out at them.  It was swiftly dealt with by the lone swordsman, but in the confusion, they stepped back into the neighboring zone.
There will be no trading this year it seems.

Thankfully the first nest boxes have been finished, and will soon be set up for the hens to use.  Between eggs and the farms built, there should be plenty of food generation.
A still has been built as well, but getting a well in place will be a top priority.

-----------------------------------

Time for real life.  I'll continue this later!
Pages: [1] 2