Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gameplay House Rules - What do you recommend?  (Read 3547 times)

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
Re: Gameplay House Rules - What do you recommend?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 04:17:05 am »

Oh you wanted exploits specifically? :P

The 2 tiles around a ramp and turning circle rules are just challenges-that-makes-sense; Personally I don't want a cart full of angry tigers or loaded to capacity with rock-based crafts to be moving at a 45 degree angle (which is what 3 ramps sequentially would equate to) and/or making impossible turns (you can't turn a 3x3 square in a 3x3 space).
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 04:26:46 am »

Oh you wanted exploits specifically? :P

The 2 tiles around a ramp and turning circle rules are just challenges-that-makes-sense; Personally I don't want a cart full of angry tigers or loaded to capacity with rock-based crafts to be moving at a 45 degree angle (which is what 3 ramps sequentially would equate to) and/or making impossible turns (you can't turn a 3x3 square in a 3x3 space).

They don't have to be exploits.  I just thought you were addressing a known exploit.  I wasn't aware the wagons make 45 degree angle turns. Could a wagon travel down a single tile ramp?  If the wagon takes 3X3 squares I thought the ramp would need to be at least 1X3 for the wagon to access downstairs.

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 04:37:36 am »

They don't have to be exploits.  I just thought you were addressing a known exploit.  I wasn't aware the wagons make 45 degree angle turns. Could a wagon travel down a single tile ramp?  If the wagon takes 3X3 squares I thought the ramp would need to be at least 1X3 for the wagon to access downstairs.

Wagons do need a ramp at least three tiles *wide* to drop a z-level, but they can go down three z-levels sequentially without needing to level-out (so the front of the wagon will be 2 levels lower than the back) which, to me at least, looks rubbish. Wagons can't make a 45 degree turn, but watching them do their 90 degree turn when there's clearly no room for that to happen is, again to me at least jarring and looks a bit rubbish.
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 04:41:15 am »

My opinion...

-Danger rooms over 1-2 spears/tile are overpowered and should not be used.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
-Abuse of infinite resources (sand, fire clay, etc) is an exploit and should not be used.

Feel free to agree with me or disagree.

I won't be using any danger rooms at all... I really like the idea behind having danger rooms and hope Toady adds them while addressing game balance as well.  I've actually never used danger rooms.

I haven't used any clay or pottery within games.  What ways are infinite resources abused?  I don't understand why sand or any type of clay would be an infinite resource... I feel they should eventually vanish if used frequently, hopefully this is changed.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 04:44:17 am »

Wagons do need a ramp at least three tiles *wide* to drop a z-level, but they can go down three z-levels sequentially without needing to level-out (so the front of the wagon will be 2 levels lower than the back) which, to me at least, looks rubbish. Wagons can't make a 45 degree turn, but watching them do their 90 degree turn when there's clearly no room for that to happen is, again to me at least jarring and looks a bit rubbish.

Wow... that's just weird.  Ideally the entire wagon should not advance to the next z level until it's full arrived on the previous z level, perhaps something we'll see in the future.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 12:53:37 pm »

I see I'm late to this thread, but I'd like to chime in anyway.

In my most recent game, I chose these rules:
  • Small(ish) 3x3 embark.
  • No moat-the-map or wall-the-map.  Can wall off pastures, watchtowers, and the like.
  • All structures must be built with blocks or bars.
  • All constructions must be built with blocks.
    • Exception: single-level outside walls may be made from raw stone or wood.  Such walls may not be part of a building.
  • All furniture must be made of wood, metal, or glass.
  • Furnaces must be made out of fire-safe material; magma furnaces must be made out of magma-safe material.
  • In fact, any structure, construction, or machine that will contact magma needs to be made from magma-safe material.
    • Exception: pumps may be made out of glass.  Glass is magma-safe but realistically shouldn't be.  (Building a pumpstack out of iron or steel is hell.)
  • All traps require: metal mechanisms, a smoothed stone floor or a constructed (from blocks) floor, and a ceiling.
    • Exception: spear traps do not require a ceiling.
    • Exception: stonefall traps can use stone mechanisms and can be built on dirt or rough stone floors.  (They do require a ceiling.)
  • Metal mechanisms are also required for all gears and all machines. Stone mechanisms are only for stonefall traps and for trade.
  • All workshops (and similar buildings) must be underground.  Absolutely no exceptions.
  • Bedrooms, dorms, and sleeping barracks must:
    • be above-ground.
    • have a smoothed or constructed (from blocks) floor, walls and a ceiling.
    • have a door and a window.  The window must be adjacent to a tile that is open to the sky.
    • for every bed, there must be at least one piece of furniture that is not a bed.

The workshop and bedroom rules were just to vary from my normal play.

Sometimes I don't allow trade of mechanisms, as it is somewhat exploitative, but this time I did.
Pages: 1 [2]