Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250027 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #1020 on: April 24, 2012, 12:54:16 am »

I know that. I was trying to think about what it would actually look like, since it doesn't make sense that carts travelling at the speed of sound can just zip by a corner that fast.

The Dev Log isn't saying Carts will continue down the track, if it was going fast enough to derail, but wall is there to obstruct it derailing

Its a cheat. Toady probably didnt want to spend the time introducing the physical properties to Natural or Constructed Walls. As these things imply the ability to break through Natural or Constructed Walls, at the Fun Level, and we all know that Constructed Walls and Natural walls are for now, practically indestructible.

At the more simulation level, it would also mean, modeling and simulating how these properties dispense and rebound kinetic energy. It also means modeling, probably in for all the possible materiel for natural and constructed walls, which is no small feat. Now, if he did then Walls would let carts ricochet off of them. And though that would be fun, it'll just longate the release, but its not required for Minecarts to be FUN, and its not required for Minecarts to functional.

So for now Walls, it seems, can just absorbe an infinite level of kinetic energy, and stop Carts cold. They remain on the track, because they dont bounce up and away.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: April 24, 2012, 02:04:05 am »

What are you talking about with the walls? They're walls, when minecarts hit them they stop, no more simulation needed. I don't think Toady is going to add the ability to make walls out of rubber any time soon.

Toady made it seem from the dev log that carts will continue down the track, since there's no room to derail. Maybe he meant that they will stop, but that's not what he seemed to suggest.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: April 24, 2012, 02:06:45 am »

...Soap walls... Soap tracks... 'Nuf said.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: April 24, 2012, 02:09:49 am »

All the talk about minecart rollercoasters makes me want to play rollercoaster tycoon again
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: April 24, 2012, 09:16:22 am »

I know that. I was trying to think about what it would actually look like, since it doesn't make sense that carts travelling at the speed of sound can just zip by a corner that fast.

The Dev Log isn't saying Carts will continue down the track, if it was going fast enough to derail, but wall is there to obstruct it derailing

Its a cheat. Toady probably didnt want to spend the time introducing the physical properties to Natural or Constructed Walls. As these things imply the ability to break through Natural or Constructed Walls, at the Fun Level, and we all know that Constructed Walls and Natural walls are for now, practically indestructible.

At the more simulation level, it would also mean, modeling and simulating how these properties dispense and rebound kinetic energy. It also means modeling, probably in for all the possible materiel for natural and constructed walls, which is no small feat. Now, if he did then Walls would let carts ricochet off of them. And though that would be fun, it'll just longate the release, but its not required for Minecarts to be FUN, and its not required for Minecarts to functional.

So for now Walls, it seems, can just absorbe an infinite level of kinetic energy, and stop Carts cold. They remain on the track, because they dont bounce up and away.

Historically block/brick walls have only offered inertial (the momentum to accelerate the bricks) resistance to vehicle impacts, because the mortar really has no strength. Modern anti-vehicle barriers can stop things cold. I'd say that soil and block walls would fail if they were only 1 tile thick, whereas a 1-tile-thick natural stone or metal wall would be ok.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: April 24, 2012, 09:42:01 am »

a constructed floor, theoretically less than a tile thick, with nothing supporting it below, can survive a titan of massive proportions falling on it from 50 levels higher and you worry about minecarts breaking through walls.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 11:19:06 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: April 24, 2012, 10:27:50 am »

Probably a question for the FotF thread, but:

1) How long will Toady be able to resist making catapult ammo use the new ballistic code?
2) How long will Toady be able to resist making projectile weapon ammo use the new ballistic code?
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Kel

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXPLODABLE][MAGMA_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: April 24, 2012, 11:18:02 am »

Hmm... I think something pretty similar to this was bandied about earlier, but now given that a wall will stop a cart from derailing we should be able to get it working even better.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With one mega-speed minecart going round as fast as possible. The entire track is rollers. For bonus points:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With the hole continuing on for quite some ways before hitting a wall. See how far goblins can be sent flying! I wonder if it could kill an inorganic FB?
You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence."

Tribes: Ascend is pretty good. Check it out here:
http://tinyurl.com/KelTribes

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: April 24, 2012, 02:14:15 pm »

hmm, ive been planning an entrance with a long corridor designed to accelerate my carts, where i funnel invaders then send heavyly loaded carts at them. there will be a pit at the end so the goal is to smash into the invders and send them skidding so that they fall into the pit after a slide
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: April 24, 2012, 02:36:16 pm »

@kel

Ya know, that design is very much more like a mechanical laser than a railgun. Increasing levels of energy input until it reaches sufficient power to be emitted.

Just pointing that out :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: April 24, 2012, 03:23:44 pm »

depending on how loaded weight affects acceleration of a cart, we could use a launcher to sort carts by weight.  presumably all carts accelerate more or less the same going downhill, but rollers will probably impart more speed on unladen carts, making them fly higher and father.  there could  be several landing tacks to catch carts with different launch speeds.  this would be more difficult to calibrate than a system that relies on a heavy cart derailing at speed, or a simple pressure plate device, but it would be much cooler.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: April 24, 2012, 03:30:32 pm »

I just realized: adamantine carts! They go over one roller and instantly accelerate to top speed. Or a dwarf pushes them and because of DF physics the cart accelerates to the speed of light. They wouldn't be that great for sieges though... "The speeding adamantine minecart hits the Pikegoblin in the upper body, but the attack glances away!"

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: April 24, 2012, 03:36:22 pm »

of course, as you mentioned, they wouldnt make good projectiles, and if theymre full of anything they will be heavy.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: April 24, 2012, 03:39:09 pm »

they would make for faster cart movement, though, by significantly reducing the time it takes to get an empty cart to a stockpile for pickup, and by cutting out most of the weight of the cart itself, meaning most of what is calculated is the contents of the cart.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dawnofdarkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: April 24, 2012, 04:21:38 pm »

Okay i was sitting in math today thinking of how to try to get a minecart to max speeds and i had one idea but it MIGHT not work at all. For any one who played early minecraft you would know that with minecarts you had to use a boostercart to keep your cart moving faster along flat surfaces. My idea is that you send the minecart down a long hall way and have boostercarts along the sides to keep boosting the projectile cart to make it reach maximum speeds.

Now keep in mind this is an idea based of an older trick from minecraft but i figured it is worth trowing out there in case it somehow works.
If Toady implements it, we can kill elves with it.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 95