Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250053 times)

Kel

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXPLODABLE][MAGMA_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #975 on: April 22, 2012, 01:59:16 pm »

Heh. My semi-serious post about launching minecarts at eagles developed into the dwarven shotgun, and then the dwarven wall, and then FTL travel.
Oh what hath I started...

I don't imagine it would work though. They'd probably just dodge into the path of the other cart and get promptly squished. Or your legendary dodger rolls a 1 and gets squished by failing to dodge.

Hm... I wonder if we can put non-dwarves into carts somehow... catch a few fire imps, put them in carts and send the squadron barrelling towards your enemy whilst launching fireballs left, right and centre. Or this might make a good bronze colossus delivery system.
You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence."

Tribes: Ascend is pretty good. Check it out here:
http://tinyurl.com/KelTribes

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: April 22, 2012, 02:10:21 pm »

Heh. My semi-serious post about launching minecarts at eagles developed into the dwarven shotgun, and then the dwarven wall, and then FTL travel.

I don't imagine it would work though. They'd probably just dodge into the path of the other cart and get promptly squished. Or your legendary dodger rolls a 1 and gets squished by failing to dodge.

Hm... I wonder if we can put non-dwarves into carts somehow... catch a few fire imps, put them in carts and send the squadron barrelling towards your enemy whilst launching fireballs left, right and centre. Or this might make a good bronze colossus delivery system.

"But how do we get this dragon to fly? It's too fat to take off."
"Throw it in a minecart and kick it down the mountain. If it flies, we have anti-air defence, if it doesn't, the minecart will squash a few goblins."

----
Flying machines, take off problem solved...
Also, can you load magma into carts? Oh, the !!SCIENCE!!
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: April 22, 2012, 02:22:10 pm »

We've yet to hear a verdict on liquid-filled carts, but I feel that Toady would like this if he could work it in without a lot of trouble.

Kel

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXPLODABLE][MAGMA_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: April 22, 2012, 02:38:35 pm »

"But how do we get this dragon to fly? It's too fat to take off."
"Throw it in a minecart and kick it down the mountain. If it flies, we have anti-air defence, if it doesn't, the minecart will squash a few goblins."

Most importantly, it looks damn cool whilst doing so.  8)
You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence."

Tribes: Ascend is pretty good. Check it out here:
http://tinyurl.com/KelTribes

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: April 22, 2012, 05:00:07 pm »

dies horribly in the attempt.

nothing wrong with that. if they failed, THEY SHOULD HAVE BROKEN THE LAWS OF PHYSICS IF THEY WANTED TO LIVE!

also, minecarts: the new danger room?

Its what all good sci-fi writers do to solve their problems, perfectly reasonable.
I voted for BANANA!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: April 22, 2012, 06:27:54 pm »

If this works, it would mean the discovery of dwarven faster than light travel.

I'm sure we could dfhack ourselves some "mass relays" by editing the cart velocity or momentum numbers.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: April 22, 2012, 06:42:28 pm »

If this works, it would mean the discovery of dwarven faster than light travel.

I'm sure we could dfhack ourselves some "mass relays" by editing the cart velocity or momentum numbers.

Modding in "Mass-omancer" reactions =P
I voted for BANANA!

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: April 22, 2012, 10:02:06 pm »

Our minecarts will blot out the sun?
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: April 22, 2012, 10:08:35 pm »

That'll be deliberate. ‼Science‼ is more comfortable in the shade.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: April 22, 2012, 10:14:59 pm »

Stuff like this is why I love this forum.

We learn of a new feature, and we immediately come up with the most ridiculous ideas for it EVER.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: April 22, 2012, 11:19:57 pm »

The side effect of a hauling system is a railgun.

The side effect of a minecart railgun is incredibly efficient corpse hauling.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: April 23, 2012, 09:06:46 am »

I wonder. If we can keep a perpetual minecart launcher in action, will the flying minecarts cause enough shade over the map to make sure that dwarves won't get nauseauted by the sun?
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: April 23, 2012, 09:09:54 am »

I wonder. If we can keep a perpetual minecart launcher in action, will the flying minecarts cause enough shade over the map to make sure that dwarves won't get nauseauted by the sun?
If not, we know what we'll need to suggest to Toady.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: April 23, 2012, 09:18:56 am »

The side effect of a hauling system is a railgun.

The side effect of a minecart railgun is incredibly efficient corpse hauling.

And creation.
[Signature]

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: April 23, 2012, 09:35:31 am »

Ooh, another idea!

Has anyone suggested easier dwarven computing using minecarts? If not, I just did.
[Signature]
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 95