Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250219 times)

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #780 on: April 13, 2012, 05:27:35 pm »

dwarf accelerator.... 2 tracks the same distance starting at max z level, straight fall to the lowest z level, and then they collide.
what will happen?

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: April 13, 2012, 05:32:57 pm »

I wonder if you can run the carts off the map with useless stuff in it
Or unload them off the map, if the unloading station is positioned that way on the edge
It would make atom smashers redundand

I imagine that it would be pretty FPS friendly
My guess it's going to behave like other projectiles (bolts), when shot to the map edge it will hit an invisible wall and fall on the edge tiles. Don't think they'll let you set up anything beyond the map borders.

Quote from: dev log
I set a hauler to ride a minecart to its next stop. That happened to take the dwarf down eight ramps and then up a launch ramp into an open cavern. High up in the cavern there was a wide ledge and on the ledge there was a goblin, chilling out right where I had created it. I activated the dwarf's squad, and he had just enough hang-time at the top of the flight arc to get a punch in. The goblin struck back but the dwarf jumped on to the ledge, where they continued to fight as the cart fell down into the darkness. It'll be interesting to see the new contenders for "worst dodge decision" that come out of this, before I tackle that problem, but overall the item riding system seems to be functioning. As we continue to iron out issues there, it might also let caged creatures interact more with their environment later on.
am I understanding this right?

the dwarf rode the cart down 8 ramps, then it went up on another ramp, shooting them on a parabolic trajectory, at some point in that flying trajectory the cart, with the dwarf on, got close by a ridge with a goblin on it, the dwarf, while flying on the mine cart, punched the standby goblin, the goblin punched back and the dwarf dodged the blow mid-air, jumping out the mine-cart, only to fall on the same ridge the goblin was standing on, and kept fighting the goblin there, while the, now empty, mine-cart continued it's trajectory....  :o

If my English skills didn't failed me, that's just awesome!!!  :o

No, you pretty much got it, lol.

Now we need to make it reliable, we can cut trenches outside the fort, 10 axelords ride out, jump up right in the middle of the seige group... Booya.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Castamere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 13, 2012, 05:36:54 pm »

dwarf accelerator.... 2 tracks the same distance starting at max z level, straight fall to the lowest z level, and then they collide.
what will happen?

And that's how EFAFUERECA "THE INFINITE UNIVERSE" was created
Playing DF is like getting into an elevator where you know it will freefall forty stories after it climbs about two.

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 13, 2012, 05:51:11 pm »

Quote from: dev log
I set a hauler to ride a minecart to its next stop. That happened to take the dwarf down eight ramps and then up a launch ramp into an open cavern. High up in the cavern there was a wide ledge and on the ledge there was a goblin, chilling out right where I had created it. I activated the dwarf's squad, and he had just enough hang-time at the top of the flight arc to get a punch in. The goblin struck back but the dwarf jumped on to the ledge, where they continued to fight as the cart fell down into the darkness. It'll be interesting to see the new contenders for "worst dodge decision" that come out of this, before I tackle that problem, but overall the item riding system seems to be functioning. As we continue to iron out issues there, it might also let caged creatures interact more with their environment later on.

Whenever I smell magma, I think of Tholtig. That's the last sensation I had before I blacked out; that thick smell of magma. And the first thing I saw when I woke up was her face. She said she'd fix my mining cart. Free. No strings attached. I should've known then that things are never that simple.

Yeah, when I think of Tholtig, I think of two things: magma... and trouble.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 05:58:03 pm by Schizotek »
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: April 13, 2012, 05:54:27 pm »

what will happen?
I call this, the quest for the armok particle!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 13, 2012, 06:10:31 pm »

what will happen?
I call this, the quest for the armok particle!

Cue a billion dwarves simultaneously experiencing their arms fall off and bleeding to death.

Turns out Arm'ok doesn't like being !!SCIENCE!!'d
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 13, 2012, 08:08:30 pm »

Remember how people have tried to make multi-embark aqueducts and magmaducts? There is potential to have multi-embark rail systems. Why walk between towns as an adventurer when you can take the train? Even if the tracks can't go right to the map edge, all you need is some momentum and to have the tracks lined up.

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 13, 2012, 08:20:18 pm »

The best part about that idea is that a single embarks worth of dwarves could carve a line of rails across a max sized embark in just a few minutes.
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 13, 2012, 08:40:57 pm »

The best part about that idea is that a single embarks worth of dwarves could carve a line of rails across a max sized embark in just a few minutes.

You need to build powered rollers and windmills/water wheels in order to maintain travel speed.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 13, 2012, 08:56:11 pm »

Which is still not hard.  One windmill should supply a roller or two, just space them out and it should be very easy to embark with a few crap-stones, produce a few rails in workshop, and place them.  Meanwhile a few woodcutters find lumber to build scaffolding + windmill.  Easy-peasy.

adasdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: April 13, 2012, 09:13:20 pm »

so, we have thought up:

dwarven tanks
dwarven airstrikes
dwarven drive-by shootings
dwarven drop-pods (I cannot think of this in any way but a hl2 headcrab canister with a bright blue-clad dwarf climbing out)
dwarven cart assisted fist-o-ccelerators (I propose that this be the official term)

using a feature that isn't even released.

man I love this community.
There are no words to describe my state of euphoria right now...
euphoric?

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: April 13, 2012, 09:20:58 pm »

don't for get the dwarf anti siege rail guns.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: April 13, 2012, 09:23:10 pm »

I propose... The D.O.R.F.S.!

Dwarf
Operated
Railway
Fighting
System

It consists of about ten trackways parallel to each other and running towards a central arena space where the invaders, presumed goblins here, have entered the fort. The best militiadwarves (or the worst, depending on how survivable this turns out to be) are loaded in and launched. At the same time, the fort's marksdwarves are loaded into their own carts and shot down to overhanging ledges near the battleground, where they may begin to pepper their opponents with bolts.

Back to the melee force, the dwarves loaded in will be launched directly to the battlefield in a parabolic fashion, hopefully crushing several invaders beneath their iron wrath. Of course, we don't know if cart crashes incur fall damage, or it could be a red, mushy wrath that these dwarves end up incurring. From this point, the soldiers may leap out and begin the ritual slaughter of either themselves or the opponents, though with marksdwarves above there's little chance of the latter winning. Maybe.

Mostly I just wanted to use that anagram.
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: April 13, 2012, 09:26:49 pm »

Dwarven Supercoliders are the way of the future.

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 13, 2012, 09:50:02 pm »

so, we have thought up:
dwarven drop-pods (I cannot think of this in any way but a hl2 headcrab canister with a bright blue-clad dwarf climbing out)

using a feature that isn't even released.

man I love this community.
See I always envisioned it more like the drop pods in ODST. Except with dwarves, of course.
"I'm sorry, so you want me to make your underpants out of cobalt or kobolds?"

"Eh, whatever"
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 95