Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250224 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #735 on: April 13, 2012, 03:27:37 am »

segregating population just got more possible.

"Urist, you're promoted to blue level, ride the minecart to your new work area."
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Castamere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: April 13, 2012, 04:01:39 am »

so having a minecart powered gatling gun is a possibility now :P
if each cart can be filled with 1000 bolts, booze and food.
then 10 minecarts doing round trips blitz style from each side and unloading it on the siege until the goblins look like cacti is not just my imagination
Playing DF is like getting into an elevator where you know it will freefall forty stories after it climbs about two.

adasdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 13, 2012, 06:25:13 am »

then 10 minecarts doing round trips blitz style from each side and unloading it on the siege until the goblins look like cacti is not just my imagination

my friend, you have invented the dwarven tank. or if ramps are involved, the dwarven gunship.
There are no words to describe my state of euphoria right now...
euphoric?

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: April 13, 2012, 06:45:00 am »

So now my "launch mine carts over the lava lake" will be able to transport dwarves as well! Sweet!

That is, until 1 single giant cave wren or something manages to get into the system.
Urist McIdiot cancels ride mine cart:dodged away x20
Urist McIdiot has fallen into lava and died x20

I was more imagining an awesome mid-air colision, causing cart, dwarfs, and flying critters to plummet down into the volcano wholesale. :P
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: April 13, 2012, 06:51:44 am »

my friend, you have invented the dwarven tank. or if ramps are involved, the dwarven gunship.

Hell, you could rig a supply train on a loop to deliver bolts to ballistae.  No big wait for them to be reloaded.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: April 13, 2012, 06:54:47 am »

Hauling the bolt may take less time, sure, but the actual loading is still time-consuming.

Now, if you could rig up a crude conveyor belt to directly place the bolt (needing only minor adjustments). A repeating ballista, anyone?

Ofcourse, untill they get fixed you'd just be bruising folk anyway. :P
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: April 13, 2012, 07:23:11 am »

I do hope drive- by shootings are implemented as a Thing. Otherwise, the dwarves have to get out of their carts, shoot a few rounds, and jump back in- that could be hard to do with any sort of certainty.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: April 13, 2012, 07:57:42 am »

Even with that, it could make for a pretty sweet supply system for archers.

|-+-|
     | @ |
===|    |===
####%######

# - track
% - designated cart stop
@ - marksdwarf (surrounded by battlement with fortification)

You could have ammo carts running constantly during a siege, allowing you to unload fresh bolts in a single-tile stockpile behind the marksdwarf. Never has to leave his post for reloads. heck, you could even make it a bit bigger stockpile and put food and drink in there as well.

Depending on how 'hard stops' and dumping work, I still think it might be possible to fill a steel or nickel cart with molten metal (something relatively useless and with low melting point, like lead/tin/pewter) and cause it to dump its contents on a floor grate tile over top of your siege entrance. Now if only it was coded to turn those into statues when they cool...

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 13, 2012, 08:00:46 am »

This is a lead statue. The artwork depicts goblins cringing.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: April 13, 2012, 08:21:41 am »

So minecarts are a kind of hybrid between railgun-powered transport vehicles and drop pods. Except the railgun is gravity. And the drop pod is a mine cart. And the guys in it use THE INCREDIBLE MOMENTUM TO DRIVE BY PUNCH SHIT.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: April 13, 2012, 08:45:04 am »

I'm picturing a dwarf riding in a cart going full-speed, leaning out one side with a clenched fist and drunken anger in his eyes.  The goblin standing by the track up ahead is about to be surprised...

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 13, 2012, 08:50:17 am »

I'm picturing a dwarf riding in a cart going full-speed, leaning out one side with a clenched fist and drunken anger in his eyes.  The goblin standing by the track up ahead is about to be surprised...

Is that the Dwarf version of drive-by mailbox baseball? Coz I'd have thought you'd need battle axes for that  :P
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: April 13, 2012, 08:51:15 am »

Is that the Dwarf version of drive-by mailbox baseball? Coz I'd have thought you'd need battle axes for that  :P

Nah brah. Slade Shortsword (Truncheon). I wonder if that thread is long gone by now. Or if anyone remembers where i said it.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: April 13, 2012, 08:54:37 am »

Balista/Catapult mounted minecart anyone?
Would certainly make greeting the clowns a more interesting experiance.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: April 13, 2012, 09:28:56 am »

You people are going too small.  My idea is to have two carts coming towards each other, straight ahead on the same track so that they're going to collide.  Except, at the last moment, they both turn, hit a few rollers, and fly off a ramp and over some sort of generic death pit.  One cart has a dwarf, the other has a wild animal and/or goblin.  Because of the setup, they should spend their time in flight right next to each other and be able to fight mid-air between carts.  Whoever falls out, loses!

I'm also debating how to make "dwarven whackamole".  It would put a marksdwarf on a cart, send them roaring along a tunnel and hit a ramp that leads into a wall, sending them flying straight up.
Code: [Select]
#### #
#### #
____/#
If I'm understanding physics right, this should send the cart straight upwards.  If I'm wrong, then the cart will slam into the wall and kill everything except the goblins.

If this works, then it should send a cart going straight up and then straight down.  If it works, put a marksdwarf on there for hilarity as they pop up and down quickly taking pot-shots as they fly.

In Soviet Fortress, Mole Whacks You!
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 95