Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250408 times)

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #540 on: April 08, 2012, 03:06:18 pm »

I've just realised that automated killing machines are going to be a lot easier than we were thinking, assuming that carts squish things properly. Just build this (side view).

Code: [Select]
RCD
 RD
  RCD
   RD

R = ramp, carved as track, with boosters on as well if possible, C = cart, D = door, linked to pressure plate/whatever other trigger method you prefer.

Stack it horizontally and on the slope a few dozen times, link all of the doors to whatever switch you prefer and anything that goes in gets minecarted.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: April 08, 2012, 03:13:59 pm »

I don't think dwarves will be able to ride in carts, given what we've been told, but we could still use them to transport creatures, if cages fit in a cart.  Transporting animals and prisoners would be no problem; transporting dwarven citizens, a bit trickier.  First, it would require knockout traps to cage the passengers.  Then load up the cages, send them to wherever, unload them, construct the cage, and release.  And do all that before the dwarf dies of thirst. 

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 08, 2012, 03:27:29 pm »

I'm amazed he was able to get all of this in, actually...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: April 08, 2012, 03:39:50 pm »

Space marines, get in your carts. The orcs will never see it coming.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: April 08, 2012, 04:14:52 pm »

I wonder what would happen then, if you stuffed a fire-immune creature into a cage made of flammable materials, then put that in a cart, and at the cart's exit point drop some magma on it to ignite the cage.

High-speed delivery of fire imps to front lines?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: April 08, 2012, 04:19:24 pm »

I've had tantruming dwarves destroy a ≡Gold Cage≡ with a titan in it.  When the cage was destroyed (not toppled) the titan disappeared.

Chances are, if a cage burns, the creature inside vanishes.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: April 08, 2012, 04:26:50 pm »

I've had tantruming dwarves destroy a ≡Gold Cage≡ with a titan in it.  When the cage was destroyed (not toppled) the titan disappeared.

Chances are, if a cage burns, the creature inside vanishes.

That sounds like a bug, not a feature.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: April 08, 2012, 04:41:50 pm »

Be that as it may, it still exists and make creature deployment tricky.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: April 08, 2012, 05:03:50 pm »

What? Is there some kind of cage hyperspace or something? Creatures aren't released on cage destruction?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: April 08, 2012, 05:06:54 pm »

.25 they weren't.  I doubt this has changed.  Apparently tantrum destruction causes a sort of very special removal mechanism.  When a dwarf topples a workshop, they're mostly just flipping the single microcline boulder on its side, but when they destroy a workshop or construction, they seem to scream at it so loud that they invoke a black hole - otherwise referred to as a rage hole, wherein the material is ripped apart and plucked into the hole one fleck of dust at a time.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: April 08, 2012, 05:47:14 pm »

.25 they weren't.  I doubt this has changed.  Apparently tantrum destruction causes a sort of very special removal mechanism.  When a dwarf topples a workshop, they're mostly just flipping the single microcline boulder on its side, but when they destroy a workshop or construction, they seem to scream at it so loud that they invoke a black hole - otherwise referred to as a rage hole, wherein the material is ripped apart and plucked into the hole one fleck of dust at a time.
Did it list as a dead creature? I'm imagining that you could put several justice cages in the meeting hall, and then cause a tantrum spiral, leading to several imprisoned dwarves being disappeared.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: April 08, 2012, 05:51:20 pm »

Didn't notice.

Baselope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: April 08, 2012, 07:58:52 pm »

"And Toady does, ever-so-casually, drop this massive feature on the devlog like "Oh btw I made everything 100x more awesome.""

I have only played a few forts so far, and have been drifting into other things for a little while.  Minecarts, clothes, and all the inventory management improvements (zoom to favorite artifact!!) have me paying very much attention again.

Toady, you are a prince.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: April 08, 2012, 08:19:04 pm »

Quote from: Devlog
Depending on the track, sometimes a dwarf can just kick the cart

I wonder whether this is something that is affected by the dwarf in question.

Would a, say, Legendary Kicker dwarf with Superdwarven strength be able to kick an adamantine cart clear across the map?

If so, you could create said dwarf in Adventure Mode, retire them after a while, and wait for them to immigrate as your new Stationmaster.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: April 08, 2012, 08:24:40 pm »

Kicking isn't a skill, but striking it.  So is biting.

The Bitelord bites the cart in the steel plating.
The Bitelord latches on firmly!
The Bitelord drags the cart by the steel plating!
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 95