Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250407 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #510 on: April 08, 2012, 02:36:02 am »

Cargo Carts delivering supplies to watch towers.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 08, 2012, 03:08:40 am »

Hooooly crap. The way toady's busting through the eternal suggestions - he just casually announced the fulfilment of yet another - the next release is going to be like February all over again.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 08, 2012, 03:38:49 am »

Remind me again what those were for?
Something along the lines of "You put these redundant Animals in the game, we give you money?"
That's the thing, it took him a year to put them in because he didn't want to just paste in redundant animals. He had to in the end as it had been too long since the actual sponsorship, but the animals that got in beforehand all introduced some new tag for the raws. Those new tags were then directly applied to dwarves and other sentients in mods, e.g. Corrosion mod's "Coward" caste that huddles up into a ball when cornered and threatened.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 08, 2012, 03:59:25 am »

I also dont think they're largely redundant. Mechanically they are, but there is a lot of biodiversty out in the real world.

When you live in more urban areas, it's hard to forget how much wildlife there is, and then when you do go camping you hardly see it. But it's there.

Right now the game doesnt handle it very well and often times give you information dump. The amount of animal men isn't a bad thing, if they were presented different.

Like instead of saying 'Rattlesnake-Men, Addlesnake-Men, Corbrasname-Men' for each name if it just said 'snake-men', that'd be fine, then when you look at their description would it go into how they're different.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 08, 2012, 04:28:10 am »

As a donation drive though it worked, and I appreciated it.  These animals were always going to be tackled at some point.

I wonder if tackling the ESV is an equivalent sort of donation drive, if we will all donate more.  It's certainly creating a lot of excitement.

nzybwnb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 08, 2012, 04:47:14 am »

As a donation drive though it worked, and I appreciated it.  These animals were always going to be tackled at some point.

I wonder if tackling the ESV is an equivalent sort of donation drive, if we will all donate more.  It's certainly creating a lot of excitement.

If you've been watching the last few months, donations are way up. If it's a donation drive, it's working.

EDIT: And I know tackling the ESV is a new thing, but the past few months have been just as awesome.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 04:54:35 am by nzybwnb »

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 08, 2012, 04:56:42 am »

Notice how we could implement segregated forts using minecarts to interchange supplies between them. A carefully timed minecart-bridge-pressureplate system could seperate the halfs, but we could ensure that the satellite group still gets booze shipments from the main fort.[...]

If minecarts can safely drop one level by falling and continue on a track below, then that's really all you need to make separated forts... no launching over canyons necessary either.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 08, 2012, 05:00:12 am »

don't be so practical...
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 08, 2012, 05:27:40 am »

Right, let me rephrase: carefully timed minecart-bridge-pressureplate systems and launching minecarts over canyons are not necessary for separated forts, but highly encouraged.  ;)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 08, 2012, 05:34:06 am »

I just know, someone is going to make a choreography using synchronized minecart jumping. Dwarven ballet.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 08, 2012, 05:36:15 am »

Really, anything in Dwarf Fortress seems graceful if you put on the right music. Chasing that champion sprinting badger all around the fort? Flight of the Bumblebee. Or Yakkety Sax.

Also: If minecarts colliding (or crashing) is possible, it seems like we could be in for quite a lot of Fun. Especially if you can transport caged animals (or non-caged dwarves!?) - "random dwarf on the tracks has died after colliding with an obstacle"-spam, anyone?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 05:39:20 am by FoiledFencer »
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 08, 2012, 05:36:51 am »

Right, let me rephrase: carefully timed minecart-bridge-pressureplate systems and launching minecarts over canyons are not necessary for separated forts, but highly encouraged.  ;)

Now you're thinking dwarvenly.  We could drop coal down to the magma levels quite quickly this way though.  The return journey would be quite long, though.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 08, 2012, 06:49:53 am »

I just know, someone is going to make a choreography using synchronized minecart jumping. Dwarven ballet.

This reminded me of that treadmill music video from a few years back.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 08, 2012, 08:03:02 am »

We could have a brilliant video of DF in Code 437, Tilesets and then Stonesense of minecarts flying, synchronised to that song.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 08, 2012, 08:36:24 am »

questions:

1) do you think marksdorfs riding in minecarts will be able to still fire at things? -if dwarves can ride in minecarts-
2) if we can make the carts out of wood, they turn back into wood when they hit a solid surface, AND damage things by hitting/falling on them, do you think the good old magma cannon may be replaced with the minecart cannon? with a variety of levers and plates to dictate the express delivery of smashing.
3) if minecarts dont get destroyed when they hit the floor, and anything in them ie a dwarf dosent get damaged when it hits the floor, would this be a good millatery drop pod solution for fast deployment?
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 95