Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250420 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #495 on: April 07, 2012, 10:06:38 pm »

A thought: What if minecarts eject their load upon forceful collision?  Like, if a cart hits a wall, the contents spill out.  We could... replace marksdwarves, and instead have carts that hurl large serrated steel disks at the enemy by making a sharp stop and sending their deadly cargo flying.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 07, 2012, 10:07:50 pm »

Notice how we could implement segregated forts using minecarts to interchange supplies between them. A carefully timed minecart-bridge-pressureplate system could seperate the halfs, but we could ensure that the satellite group still gets booze shipments from the main fort. The main fort could be deep underground, and the surface group only exists for efficient trading and some defense.

If minecarts work underwater, we could use carefully timed bridges as airlocks and maintain a segregated seafloor colony.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 07, 2012, 10:09:55 pm »

@UristDVinci: Like I said, Hunger Games.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 07, 2012, 10:10:28 pm »

I'd rather have a mid-volcano expedition myself.  Stuck at the bottom of an active volcano, they monitor the magma sea, receiving shipments via cart runs.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 07, 2012, 10:11:02 pm »

I think the better use would be supplying a quarantine fort to check for vampires amongst the migrants.  Let them all live in an open-room dorm space for a month or so and if no-one gets fed on, open a locked door leading to the main fort.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 07, 2012, 10:11:21 pm »

A thought: What if minecarts eject their load upon forceful collision?  Like, if a cart hits a wall, the contents spill out.  We could... replace marksdwarves, and instead have carts that hurl large serrated steel disks at the enemy by making a sharp stop and sending their deadly cargo flying.

You mean like a siege weapon that would actually be relatively accurate and not be limited by a dwarven operator who runs away the moment he/she so much as hears the word "goblin"? Me likey.

But why stop at large serrated steel disks? How much damage do you think a low-flying elven diplomat would do when propelled to high speeds?
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 07, 2012, 10:13:01 pm »

The flying *Steel Bolt* strikes the goblin in the arm, chipping the bone! x750

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 07, 2012, 10:17:53 pm »

Grenades, nice idea.

Seperated forts makes for great storytelling. The surface team keeps sending surface food and stuff down, but lately all that has come from below are strange noices. A lone dwarf is sent to investigate. Or the otherway around, the surface connection overrun by goblins/undead/brush titan and on the lower levels, unreachable to the beasts, adamantine clad elite warriors are planning to swarm up and retake the forts entrance.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 07, 2012, 10:51:43 pm »

I doubt he'll significantly change they way flying nonminecart objects interact with creatures, meaning crash launched serrated steel disks probably won't do much. Lot's of small objects contaminated with something syndrome inducing, or half a dozed burning blocks of lignite, or a cart full of magma may still make for effective artillery.  Have closely space tracks radiating out from the fortress entrance, with each one ending in a wall segment, and a tower with cart ramps built over the entrance.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 07, 2012, 11:03:18 pm »

New Quote

I went back to my hauling routes and stops, after my early excursion into moving carts. Each stop gets a list of stockpile parameters, and the stops can be linked to stockpiles and given conditions before the vehicle is set to depart. So you could get a dwarf to send the minecart along when it becomes full or when it is at least halfway full after two weeks. I'm still finishing that off, mainly the sending along part. Depending on the track, sometimes a dwarf can just kick the cart, sometimes it'll have to be pushed all the way, and with the powered tracks and carts taking flight and triggers, the choice will probably be left up to the player rather than having the computer trying to decide.

You can have the camera follow a unit or item, either as a one time thing or as one of the function hotkeys you set up for it. It'll keep following it until you enter another mode, recenter to an announcement, manually scroll, etc. If the followed item is held by a container or by a unit, the camera will center on that. :D

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 07, 2012, 11:11:52 pm »

Urist McKicker kicks the minecart in the rear panel, sending the cart careening down a slope!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 07, 2012, 11:45:04 pm »

Urist McKicker kicks the minecart in the rear panel, sending the cart careening down a slope!

lol'ed at that
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 08, 2012, 02:01:34 am »

That camera tracking sounds amazing, I'm going to use that all the time.
I wonder what happens if you follow a stack of bolts...
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 08, 2012, 02:08:36 am »

I love how minecarts are going to be able to be launched/ramped.  Forget carefully-timed airlocks; just shoot the minecarts over a canyon from one part of the fortress to the other!  If you do want to bring careful timing and arrangement back into it, you could set up twenty parallel tracks with ramps, then launch ten minecarts from each side at precisely the same time so they all soar gracefully past each other in mid-flight.  You could even alternate minecarts from each side for added majesty.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 08, 2012, 02:21:45 am »

Minecart + magma + water + marksdwarf = dwarven steam tank?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 95