Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250323 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #270 on: April 05, 2012, 11:29:07 am »

A full squad of nerved lashers to keep the slaves in check. Sounds horrible to me, let's do it.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #271 on: April 05, 2012, 11:29:16 am »

The dwarven stagecoach driver cracks his whip!

Draft horse has been struck down X4
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 05, 2012, 11:30:38 am »

Urist McNoblepants mandates more tracks armokdammit!

Urist McNoblepants demands tracks from his bedroom to the main dining room, the front door and everywhere else!

Urist McNoblepants demands a bed in his minecart. He is never leaving it anymore.

I wish there was a laughing emoticon for this. :P
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 05, 2012, 11:33:26 am »

Urist McNoblepants demands a television

Urist McNoblepants demands someone to find his remote

Urist McNoblepants demands a kitten to suffocate
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 05, 2012, 01:39:23 pm »

Only in Dwarf Fortress. =P Love those whips. This is why you never see whips in bedrooms - they're too lethal.

Okay, first. I just read through this thread. How has nobody mentioned the possibility of fast-moving carts jumping from one track to the next? If you had a cart travel down a ramp and then up a short jump, I assume the cart would travel upwards diagonally, reach the max range and then fall straight down, like arrows do. If they have the same physics as arrows, this would imply you would NOT need a ramp to get them flying across chasms:

>
_______      ___        ____        _____________

This would be just as traversable as anything else - you could have minecarts fly straight over pits of magma.

If you made a minecart fly diagonally upwards and then back downwards onto a sloped track, you could start it moving again. This makes it NOT necessary to have holes in the walls of your fort. Granted, you would need some well-planned aiming techniques to make sure it lands where you wanted it to, but you could simply launch minecarts both ways over your walls, without ever needing to open the gate.

I highly doubt dwarves will be able to climb into minecarts. If you're allowed to put creatures in them at all, I have a feeling that it will be non-dwarves only, similar to cages. It's be possible he'll combine the stockpile UI with the cage UI to give us both, but somehow I lean towards stockpile-only, as much as I hate it. Perhaps he'll enable creatures later - the idea of dwarven rollercoasters seems to be very popular (and I admit, that does sound awesomely fun).

Nobody has mentioned the idea of giant eagles flying from tower to tower carrying minecarts. You could have a self-sustained fortress completely in the sky - without the weakness of needing caravans or fighting goblins (barring flying mounts). You could have multiple towers - like I was saying - and the pack routes would be completely through the air. Thus, if you lost a tower, you wouldn't lose your fortress. You could simply go back and reclaim it after they left, since they wouldn't "move in" (though I'd really like if they did). (unfortunately, this would take a few bugs being fixed, namely the ones with fliers :( ) (oh, and the sky is broken too - did you know?)

Unfortunately for the minecart, they would be worthless when going downhill. This is because it's far simpler in every way to simply drop large boulders down shafts to their destinations. If Toady implemented rolling boulders crushing people like he has in the devlog, and the boulders bounced when they landed, this could prove dangerous and ineffective, unless you put a 1 z-level pit at the bottom of the shaft. The boulder would land, have nowhere to bounce/roll, and stop. Your dwarves could easily access it after that.

I'm wondering if the beasts of burden will be pulling 1x1 carts. Wagons are 3x3. Would horses pull 1x1 carts, or 3x3 wagons? How many horses would it take to pull a single wagon? Or is it possible they'll act like yaks in trading caravans and carry everything magically on their backs?

While it's possible to compress infinite matter into a single tile, I doubt it'll be that way with whatever these beasts are hauling. It's just not Toady's way - he'll make them like bins. You'll only get to put a set amount into each. This, in turn, would necessitate multiple minecarts on the same track - leading to Fun if you weren't careful. Likely, highly explosive fun with boulders flying everywhere, killing dwarves left in right if they happened to be standing in the way. This would unfortunately make putting a minecart track through the dining hall to entertain your dwarves a very, very bad idea. You might put it through the noble's bedrooms, though. You know... just to amp up the value... I'm sure every noble would love to have wonderful model trainsets running through their bedrooms.

I think Toady is planning on making it so dwarves will be a lot slower at carrying stones, yes, as people have stated elsewhere in this thread. He said, "For minecarts to make sense for mining, we'll have to change how mining works, but I want to get the carts moving first." Since changing mining itself wouldn't make sense, it would have to be hauling, I think, which would likely be moving boulders much more slowly. Hauling a giant forgotten beast to the butcher's shop would be a horrible, horrible task - it might make more sense to build a butcher's shop near the corpse.

There is an incredible amount of !!SCIENCE!! to be done here! Absolutely insane. This will change the way people play Dwarf Fortress. I can't wait to get my hands on the next release to start my next round of testing. This will be far more interesting, complex and involved than figuring out how animal domestication works (though that was fun).

Finally, my apologies for the wall of text. tl;dr: !!SCIENCE!!

Also,
the thread on minecarts got derailed!! LOL  :P
Okay, a lot of things in this thread made me smile slightly. This made me laugh. Loudly. People at work look at me strangely now :/
This. I laughed loudly too.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 01:42:15 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #275 on: April 05, 2012, 03:42:48 pm »

Nobody has mentioned the idea of giant eagles flying from tower to tower carrying minecarts.

We have... Just with parrots and keas

FortKiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 05, 2012, 04:03:45 pm »

My first project is to build the Large Noble Collider. Then I'll get started with ramming trade caravans and such.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 05, 2012, 04:04:22 pm »

Nobody has mentioned the idea of giant eagles flying from tower to tower carrying minecarts.

We have... Just with parrots and keas
Ahhh, but that's entirely different. Neither of those are really capable of much of an attack. Besides, how will either of those carry a heavily-laden minecart, or withstand even a single arrow hit?

Okay, you have me there, honestly. =P I forgot about that while making the post.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 05, 2012, 04:08:21 pm »

They can carry the minecart between two of them.

Also they could be african parrots and keas.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 05, 2012, 04:30:11 pm »

Nonono, they'd have to be swallows!

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 05, 2012, 04:31:21 pm »

Fuuuckkk don't derail into childhood toys!!

snakeschutes and ladders saywut?

Updated to the current politically correct game title. Apparently snakes biting kids and pooping them out wasn't... Proper.

Only if it's an african swallow.

What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 04:33:01 pm by rtg593 »
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 05, 2012, 04:34:39 pm »

African or European?

(It would definitely have to be two, though.)

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 05, 2012, 04:36:59 pm »

African or European?

In order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right?

:p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 05, 2012, 05:11:27 pm »

African or European?

In order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right?

I do believe so, yes.
Minecarts are heavier than coconuts, don't you think?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 05, 2012, 05:49:57 pm »

African or European?

I do believe so, yes.
Minecarts are heavier than coconuts, don't you think?

What if you make them out of adamantine?

Also, @rtg: That doesn't give the air-speed velocity, just their wingbeats per second. :P
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 06:04:09 pm by Lielac »

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 95