Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250260 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #210 on: April 05, 2012, 03:51:49 am »

I have no idea what you could say about either that would enrage the Toad. Go ahead Doc.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 05, 2012, 04:06:42 am »

Just brace for Dwarf Fortress - OpenTTD edition.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 05, 2012, 04:10:50 am »

DF is slowly getting more advanced than minecraft...

Yay?

Minecraft has, and always will be simpler than Dwarf Fortress. I want to add something extra here but i fear a mute or ban. Period.

I don't the get the 'slowly' parts, since there been part of dwarf fortress that always been more 'advance' then Minecraft.

Like for instance, the water in dwarf fortress is actually water. Fire propagates better in DF then in Minecraft.

There was a a thread a while ago that showed that DF world generation system, for at least placing rivers is pretty freakishly good. In the thread they fed DF a height map of europe, and it place the rivers correctly.

What else, um, well how about clear glass isn't made by /just/ sand.

There the entire geology of Minecraft being fucked. I mean honestly, it doesn't have to and it shouldn't replicate real world geology, but having geological sane world in Minecraft would lessen some of the artificial difficulty in Minecraft.

Towns in general, have been more fleshed out in DF (even if they were kinda of silly and shallow until recently).

And I like Minecraft, but I just dont really see where Minecraft is more advance then dwarf fortress. In any respect.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 05, 2012, 04:17:53 am »

God I meant advanced like technology wise, like AMG ELECTRICITY.. The game DF is obviously more 'advanced' than MC with the physics and the depth of it, so stop taking things so literal.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 05, 2012, 04:21:57 am »

Instead of "advance", I would use the expression "absentmindedly wander off, perhaps to return one day".

I have no great love of Minecraft because it was left unfinished, but at the areas it tries to do, it is at least somewhat consistent.

DF tries to do everything plus kitchen sink, but instead of building from a solid, consistent core, there are seemingly random lines of development effort that go far and wide, decorated by spikes of bugs and half-finished features.

DF water implementation is more advanced you say - okay, but why then we have salinity that propagates like cancer and cannot be easily removed? Why is it possible to have a splash of water on each of your adventurer's tooth - a splash, that stays there, and is drinkable, so just your teeth combined are capable of storing more water than three water-skins? And what about infinite water puddles? Complicated does not always mean advanced.

But there is always hope. Playing DF is fun, but that does not mean we need to worship it as well.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 05, 2012, 04:34:56 am »

Left unfinished? It's still being constantly updated like DF. Where the fuck are you getting your info from?
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 05, 2012, 05:04:38 am »

I think he means the hasty endin.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 05, 2012, 05:13:57 am »

...explicit fanfic between a Klingon Bird of Prey and the Enterprise.  That being, the ships.  Not the crew, but the ships themselves being explicit.

rule 34?

sorry. got to this thread late. hope somone else didn't already say it.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 05, 2012, 05:39:44 am »

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised everyone is too preoccupied with Dwarven Minecart Colliders to get excited over hauling routes and feeding stations. The former is a huge step in suppressing pathfinding damage to FPS (even if actual paths are not saved) and the latter implies being able to make hay for grazer animals, i.e. not having to keep them in a grazing pasture.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 05, 2012, 06:24:30 am »

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised everyone is too preoccupied with Dwarven Minecart Colliders to get excited over hauling routes and feeding stations. The former is a huge step in suppressing pathfinding damage to FPS (even if actual paths are not saved) and the latter implies being able to make hay for grazer animals, i.e. not having to keep them in a grazing pasture.

Just read that and I was excited! Though I wonder if you'd need them if you edited out grazing anyway.

However, having beasts of burden finally able to actually help carrying a load of stone, picked up from a place where the wheelbarrows are emptied, brought probably to a minecart, which will then zoom off into the darkness to deliver it at the stockpiles. (*HUGE GRIN*). No more magma pistons or pumpstacks needed to get efficient magma smelters, just some carts and the right orders set. While not as dwarfy, I never got the hang of those, so magmagasm for me.

Oh, and I have to react to this:

Although once I've got a cart on a track I'll probably jump over to minecart physics and finish the hauling afterward, since it'll be hard to stay away from track accidents and carts hurtling through the air and stuff.

It'll be hard for us too, so much fun potential.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 05, 2012, 06:26:49 am »

I don't see how feeding post will impact FPS issues regarding path finding. The pack animals are still  going to calculate their paths like normal.

I like the idea well enough, and maybe giving more things for animal care takers and animal trainers.

I'm looking forward to them. And hey wouldn't surprise me as an addition to the game.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 05, 2012, 06:33:37 am »

Then they won't have to path request per feed, they can path to the feeding post and only path once.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 05, 2012, 06:34:20 am »

I don't see how feeding post will impact FPS issues regarding path finding. The pack animals are still  going to calculate their paths like normal.

I don't understand it completely, but is it possible that calculating medium length paths several times is easier on pathfinding than doing the whole length in one go due to the exponentially increasing number of possible paths per extra distance?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 05, 2012, 07:06:23 am »

Just read that and I was excited! Though I wonder if you'd need them if you edited out grazing anyway.
Well yes, but you can just as well edit out the need to eat, drink, be happy and sleep then find you don't need a lot of the features of the game.

The hauling stops are more important than the feeding posts - now you won't have to eat large FPS hits from having to pathfind across a really really long distance, as you'll instead pathfind over lots of shorter distances. The number of possibilities the pathfinding has to crunch through increases exponentially as the distance to the target increases.

I don't understand it completely, but is it possible that calculating medium length paths several times is easier on pathfinding than doing the whole length in one go due to the exponentially increasing number of possible paths per extra distance?
Oh, I got ninja'd.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Steb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 05, 2012, 07:14:39 am »

ptw
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 95