Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250209 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #195 on: April 04, 2012, 11:22:09 pm »

Idea:

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 04, 2012, 11:40:23 pm »

snip

Yeah yeah that all sounds great.  But can I smash a goblin with one?

Or even.. does this result in an even easier Noble Execution Lever?  Pull lever at one end of 1x10 hallway, releasing cart at max speed at the other end of the hallway..

Assuming Toady One doesn't impose an artificial limit on the amount of speed/energy that can be imparted into a cart through the rail system (doubtful, not his style), the "Frogger" philosophy of minecart deployment should be perfectly plausible.  Theoretically.  It depends on how abstract the physics he implements are.   I believe it's safe to assume he'll err on the side of complexity, and we'll have perfectly viable mechanism powered goblin colliders.  It will, of course, require liberal applications of !!SCIENCE!! to ascertain their effectiveness.

Which sort of leads to another question?  Can dwarves ride in carts, and will marksdwarves have fast enough reflexes to fire at invading forces from atop a cart moving at an arbitrarily high speed?
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #197 on: April 04, 2012, 11:41:30 pm »

Are those zombies, goblins, or zombie goblins?

I'd assume zombie goblins, because of the rigid posture and their nakedness.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 04, 2012, 11:43:14 pm »

Actually just goblins, but can be used to symbolize anything in the world you might want a minecart full of lava dropped ontop of.

Nathiel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 04, 2012, 11:56:04 pm »

So, here's to hoping that the minecarts can actually pick up and drop off magma... if they can and we apply the carts to vertical slopes we'll finally have an automated low FPS dropping method for transporting magma to the surface.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 04, 2012, 11:56:58 pm »

snip

Or even.. does this result in an even easier Noble Execution Lever?  Pull lever at one end of 1x10 hallway, releasing cart at max speed at the other end of the hallway..

Assuming Toady One doesn't impose an artificial limit on the amount of speed/energy that can be imparted into a cart through the rail system (doubtful, not his style), the "Frogger" philosophy of minecart deployment should be perfectly plausible.  Theoretically.  It depends on how abstract the physics he implements are.   I believe it's safe to assume he'll err on the side of complexity, and we'll have perfectly viable mechanism powered goblin colliders.  It will, of course, require liberal applications of !!SCIENCE!! to ascertain their effectiveness.

Which sort of leads to another question?  Can dwarves ride in carts, and will marksdwarves have fast enough reflexes to fire at invading forces from atop a cart moving at an arbitrarily high speed?

unless minecarts work like projectiles, and move through objects.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 05, 2012, 01:11:56 am »

Parrots are now pack animals.  Someone needs to draw a small kea or owl carrying a dwarven minecart.

I wonder if flying beasts of burden would path through the air to hauling stations.

It also appears that Toady might finally add alternate ways to feed grazing animals, so we could have pack/war elephants.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 05, 2012, 02:39:08 am »

Parrots are now pack animals.  Someone needs to draw a small kea or owl carrying a dwarven minecart.

I wonder if flying beasts of burden would path through the air to hauling stations.
Unlikely:
bug #4776: Tame flying animals won't fly. ( http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4776 )
bug #2286: Creatures with [FLIER] have problems pathing to jobs that require them to fly. ( http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2286 )
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 05, 2012, 02:51:47 am »

It also appears that Toady might finally add alternate ways to feed grazing animals, so we could have pack/war elephants.

You keep expecting a bird to hold a minecart??
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 05, 2012, 03:17:34 am »

I must mod snakes to be beasts of burden. Because a rattlesnake pulling a cart full of ores....
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 05, 2012, 03:20:16 am »

the thread on minecarts got derailed!! LOL  :P
Okay, a lot of things in this thread made me smile slightly. This made me laugh. Loudly. People at work look at me strangely now :/
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 03:22:59 am by Moonshine Fox »

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 05, 2012, 03:23:13 am »

You keep expecting a bird to hold a minecart??
*dies laughing*

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 05, 2012, 03:40:20 am »

snip

Wait.
Hm, i must be the first to make a DMC. (Dwarven Minecart Collider)
That would be awesome.
More awesomeness if minecarts were somehow treated like wagons, that would give some hilarious bugs.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 05, 2012, 03:44:49 am »

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 05, 2012, 03:50:24 am »

DF is slowly getting more advanced than minecraft...

Yay?

Minecraft has, and always will be simpler than Dwarf Fortress. I want to add something extra here but i fear a mute or ban. Period.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 95