Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250239 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #180 on: April 04, 2012, 10:36:32 pm »

On the contrary this fulfills the beast of burden suggestion that constantly recirculates every now and then

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 04, 2012, 10:42:09 pm »

BUT NOW THEY WILL BE SLOW AND CAN'T RUN INTO GOBLINS.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 04, 2012, 10:43:37 pm »

BUT NOW THEY WILL BE SLOW AND CAN'T RUN INTO GOBLINS.

You mean, "NOW THEY CAN BITE PEOPLE!"

:P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #183 on: April 04, 2012, 10:44:15 pm »

Giant Cave Spider Wagons.

Where are your Gods now Goblins?

Chronomancer

• Bay Watcher
  • save.us_Y2J
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 04, 2012, 10:45:07 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Powered by animals.. DAMNIT.

So I can't have lead minecart cannons?

I LOST THE GAME

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 04, 2012, 10:45:51 pm »

Nope, odds are people are going to put horses as the cart pullers, and horses don't bite, they pound and smash until there is nothing left.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #186 on: April 04, 2012, 10:46:00 pm »

Quote from: DevLog
Although once I've got a cart on a track I'll probably jump over to minecart physics and finish the hauling afterward, since it'll be hard to stay away from track accidents and carts hurtling through the air and stuff.

This seems to imply they will still make use of gravity; beasts of burden will just be able to bring them back to the top.

Quote from: DevLog
That'll extend to beasts of burden traveling trackless routes (this will need hay and feeding stations or something, so the animals can eat while they are at stops).

This seems to me like beasts of burden will just be one option, also able to be used when there is no track.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 04, 2012, 10:49:19 pm »

LOL imagine the rollercoaster,

'Ready kids?'
'YAAAY'
'K donkey, go'
'badump..... badump.... badump'
'THIS IS SHIT'

Chronomancer

• Bay Watcher
  • save.us_Y2J
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 04, 2012, 10:59:44 pm »

Nevahmind, animals are used for cartless tracks.

Dwarf chariotry?
I LOST THE GAME

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 04, 2012, 11:01:33 pm »

Nevahmind, animals are used for cartless tracks.

Dwarf chariotry?

Cartless tracks?

heh?

I can understand trackless carts. In which case, hook one up to a giant eagle. Enjoy your dwarven flying device.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 04, 2012, 11:03:27 pm »

Parrots are now pack animals.  Someone needs to draw a small kea or owl carrying a dwarven minecart.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #191 on: April 04, 2012, 11:06:11 pm »

Parrots are now pack animals.  Someone needs to draw a small kea or owl carrying a dwarven minecart.

Keas with arms.

And fish standing up.

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 04, 2012, 11:11:05 pm »

This seems to me like beasts of burden will just be one option, also able to be used when there is no track.

I got the same impression, namely that he'll be piggybacking BoB behaviour onto the minecart code and decoupling it from the necessity for tracks.  I should hope he leaves the question of how to apply motive force to the cart an open-ended one, ranging in options from dwarf/BoB hauling, the "pump-cart" engine, mechanisms on the tracks, gravity, flowing water over the track, catsplosions, or even slave labor.

My question is, can minecarts that are explicitly hauled rather than rail/pump powered be taken off the rails?  Since BoB's won't require tracks for their hauling routes, it seems like this would be a logical extension of his "define the stations, let the BoB pathfind" strategy.  Maybe allow a dwarf to have a rail/de-rail cart job at stations.  I can easily envision a precisely engineered rail system run on gears, powered by waterwheels, and running to major areas of the fortress, with carts being pulled to and from rail stations by cart-hauling dwarves (seperate job, maybe?) or BoBs who take them out into the mines/forests, fill them with stone/wood/silk/sand/goblinite/etc, then drag them back to the nearest station where they're whisked off to processing.

I sincerely hope we get a new type of drawbridge with built-in rails.  Also, I think having a separate internal and external rail-system, connected by air-locked stockpiles between adjacent internal/external stations, would be the safest way to have the efficiency of a rail collection system without compromising security.

I expect that we won't have carts/beasts automagically loading/unloading themselves, but that's what peasants are for.  If they can't be explicitly assigned to load/unload from a station, just burrow them there with only hauling tasks enabled.
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 04, 2012, 11:11:30 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Linenoise02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 04, 2012, 11:17:35 pm »

I got the same impression, namely that he'll be piggybacking BoB behaviour onto the minecart code and decoupling it from the necessity for tracks.  I should hope he leaves the question of how to apply motive force to the cart an open-ended one, ranging in options from dwarf/BoB hauling, the "pump-cart" engine, mechanisms on the tracks, gravity, flowing water over the track, catsplosions, or even slave labor.

My question is, can minecarts that are explicitly hauled rather than rail/pump powered be taken off the rails?  Since BoB's won't require tracks for their hauling routes, it seems like this would be a logical extension of his "define the stations, let the BoB pathfind" strategy.  Maybe allow a dwarf to have a rail/de-rail cart job at stations.  I can easily envision a precisely engineered rail system run on gears, powered by waterwheels, and running to major areas of the fortress, with carts being pulled to and from rail stations by cart-hauling dwarves (seperate job, maybe?) or BoBs who take them out into the mines/forests, fill them with stone/wood/silk/sand/goblinite/etc, then drag them back to the nearest station where they're whisked off to processing.

I sincerely hope we get a new type of drawbridge with built-in rails.  Also, I think having a separate internal and external rail-system, connected by air-locked stockpiles between adjacent internal/external stations, would be the safest way to have the efficiency of a rail collection system without compromising security.

I expect that we won't have carts/beasts automagically loading/unloading themselves, but that's what peasants are for.  If they can't be explicitly assigned to load/unload from a station, just burrow them there with only hauling tasks enabled.

Yeah yeah that all sounds great.  But can I smash a goblin with one?

Or even.. does this result in an even easier Noble Execution Lever?  Pull lever at one end of 1x10 hallway, releasing cart at max speed at the other end of the hallway..
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 95