Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250220 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #165 on: April 04, 2012, 01:50:53 pm »

I bet that my first attempt to use the minecarts will, like all of my first-time DF experiences, be an unholy trainwreck. Literally!
Like this thread has become?
Isn't a derail into the discussion about derails a meta mind blow?

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2012, 01:56:33 pm »

I bet that my first attempt to use the minecarts will, like all of my first-time DF experiences, be an unholy trainwreck. Literally!
I don't even know anymore. Should add [NO_SLEEP] to mysel- oh wait... :-[
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 04, 2012, 02:04:20 pm »

the thread on minecarts got derailed!! LOL  :P

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 04, 2012, 02:15:00 pm »

I predict that it's going to go into feature creep, and the way power and mechanics work is going to be completely revamped. This may mean kissing good-bye to perpetual motion machines...but I doubt it.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 04, 2012, 02:21:52 pm »

I predict that it's going to go into feature creep, and the way power and mechanics work is going to be completely revamped. This may mean kissing good-bye to perpetual motion machines...but I doubt it.
Dwarves will always find a way. NO. MATTER. WHAT.
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 04, 2012, 02:42:15 pm »

What is wrong with perpetual motion machines? It explains plants happily living underground.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 04, 2012, 02:47:08 pm »

I want my minecarts to be powered by undead unicorns, how do I do this?
I voted for BANANA!

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 04, 2012, 02:48:53 pm »

I want my minecarts to be powered by undead unicorns, how do I do this?
The same way as with slimes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwXTQHlACE8

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 04, 2012, 02:55:15 pm »

Problem is- I think- that to get rid of perpetual motion machines, you would have to completely revamp fluid flow.

For example, one way to do it is to assign each unit of water a number indicating how much power it has, equivalent to its potential energy. In this way, for example, the amount of waterwheel power you could create artificially would be less than the energy from the waterwheels needed to power the pumps that bring it up and give it energy in the first place. But keeping track of that would be such an amazingly high load on the CPU that it isn't going to happen.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

sumofallwars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 04, 2012, 03:44:29 pm »

This is awesome.

I can't wait till summer. what else will he have for us by then?

I will not be broke and toady will be getting a % of a pay check for such awesomeness.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 04, 2012, 03:54:16 pm »

I'd do that too, but I already donated before he announced the minecarts.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 04, 2012, 04:18:44 pm »

I'm hoping that minecarts are self-propelled via mechanism or some other means as that way we could run them through magma to destroy items or water to clean them. Well, unless water fills the cart when it goes through, which would be incredibly useful itself. Instead of having a bucket brigade wander around to fill a pond or reservoir, you have a track run out to wherever you want to fill a pond, send a cart through a water way (just build the tracks and flood the area afterwards), and have it carry however much water it can haul right to the site. If it dumps automatically, this would work for magma as well.

Even if we hook up a pump to the tracks and power it that way, it'd still give more options that having a dwarf or animal tow them around.

Amallar

• Bay Watcher
  • Just turn 360 degrees and walk away.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 04, 2012, 04:34:49 pm »

As said previously, perpetual generators cannot be removed completely so long as fluid dynamics continue existing. I imagine, though, that a basic power level for flowing fluids could be assigned on at least a 3 tier scale, with 0 being still water and 3 being extremely pressurised/energetic; from that, we can have refinement of the system in terms of at least providing relatively realistic generators.

Honestly, though, I'm hoping we'll be given the opportunity to produce a system that operates off of perpetual motion directly from air pressure (as extended to magma...).
Daily Blurb

Efficiency and esotericism are the true facets of alignment; not good and evil, for both good and evil are subjective. Good and evil are simply chaos -- and order is their absence.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 04, 2012, 10:32:30 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)