Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 249945 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #1230 on: May 08, 2012, 12:03:33 am »

Imagine a railroad stretching in a straight line across the whole world, equipped with as many rollers possible. Now imagine an adventurer riding it. The minecart has no brakes, only acceleration.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: May 08, 2012, 12:36:12 am »

Had a bit of a thought. Apologies if something along these lines has already been said.

Quote from: jimi12
What happens to the contents of a cart when a cart crashes? Would they be flung all over the place or would they stay inside the cart? Would this be different if the contents were 15 shoes or a dwarf? Also, do carts take damage after wrecks and collisions? Will it be possible to repair damaged carts?

Nothing happens at this point.

Quote from: xmakina
I know the contents of cages become invulnerable, will this be true of mine carts? More specifically, if I drowned a magma safe cart in a pool of magma, will it set the contents on fire/melt them down?

It's the same as everything else right now.

Assuming (and this is a fairly large assumption) that Toady doesn't add in effects for this, and that his annoyingly vague last comment can be construed as "the same as cages," the fact that dwarves in carts are immune to anything and do not suffer ill effects on impact can definitely be used.

Think paratroopers.

Deploy soldiers immediately, and safely, into the midst of a siege (with the added bonus of a possible squished goblin) by firing carts from the top of towers or mountains. Also could be used as a solution to otherwise hazardous entries in tall, hollow candy spires.

In terms of transportation, you could have entire sections of the fort that are entirely inaccessible except by launched minecart. Since contents are invulnerable in the cart, you could have supply/passenger lines running through oceans, or the magma sea, if you used all magma safe materials. Dwarven submersibles have arrived.

Then again, even if he does change things and impact can brutally maim passengers, I'm not sure if my plans would change much.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: May 08, 2012, 12:59:38 am »

Imagine a railroad stretching in a straight line across the whole world, equipped with as many rollers possible. Now imagine an adventurer riding it. The minecart has no brakes, only acceleration.

Another option would be to generate a world with a sky that has 100 z-levels of sky and 100 z-levels seperating each cavern level. With a 2x16 embark, you could have a 434-z level ramp and still have more than enough room to return to the surface. Of course, if you start with a mountain, abandon and start a new fortress to continue the project, you could get even better results.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: May 08, 2012, 01:17:38 am »

You can use just embark to overlap old forts. Supersonic carts connecting the world...
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: May 08, 2012, 01:20:02 am »

Just embark isn't even necessary if you line up the jumps just right.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: May 08, 2012, 01:33:02 am »

Quote from: xmakina
I know the contents of cages become invulnerable, will this be true of mine carts? More specifically, if I drowned a magma safe cart in a pool of magma, will it set the contents on fire/melt them down?

It's the same as everything else right now.

Assuming (and this is a fairly large assumption) that Toady doesn't add in effects for this, and that his annoyingly vague last comment can be construed as "the same as cages," the fact that dwarves in carts are immune to anything and do not suffer ill effects on impact can definitely be used.
In terms of transportation, you could have entire sections of the fort that are entirely inaccessible except by launched minecart. Since contents are invulnerable in the cart, you could have supply/passenger lines running through oceans, or the magma sea, if you used all magma safe materials. Dwarven submersibles have arrived.

Objection! Creatures in cages DO die because of magma-related heat. "Same as everything else" merely suggests that cart contents behave like cages (or iron bins), in that you can set up "lignite bin" tricks where the contents are set on fire, but the container remains.

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: May 08, 2012, 02:09:47 am »

Ah, good to know. Underwater should still function though, if you can manage to build it.

mdqp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: May 08, 2012, 03:15:09 am »

So, It's official that we can now use minecarts for moving magma, right? I mean, maybe I missed when Toady announced the possibility to fill the carts with liquids, but he announced that they can dump liquids (automatically at that, which is even more awesome), so it's a given that liquids can "hop in" now... No more huge FPS-eating pump stacks, unless I want to burn everything above ground! I am so happy I might cry! No more having to circumvent caves in roundabout ways to place the pumps, no more having to produce magma-safe components in huge amounts, just one line to go up and one line to go down (and at lightning speed while going down, at least for the haulers!).

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: May 08, 2012, 03:23:01 am »

Toady did post this:

Quote from: The Great Toad
Things are continuing along. A track stop can now be set to dump contents in a direction when a cart arrives. This action does not need to be powered. This includes liquid dumping. Track stops have optional low friction, so you can set contents to dump without having to restart the cart manually. There's a hang bug somewhere in the system I'd like to stamp out, and a few other random issues, but it's almost ready to go.

Note: if you expected a reward from March or earlier and haven't received it, please send me an email. I've had a few of my emails bounce back and I'd like to get these sent out!
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: May 08, 2012, 07:32:01 am »

now with added drowning traps
each minecart brings up a bit of liquid to get dropped into the chamber.
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: May 08, 2012, 08:17:20 am »

Run a "trap delivery" cart system, which fills itself with magma, rolls over your entrance, drops its contents through the grate on one side (onto invaders below), and rockets back to pick up more magma. Like vats of boiling oil, only automated and with magma. If carts can be 100% magma safe, you could have a set of carts whose sole function is to drop magma at predetermined points when a lever is flipped, then reload.

Is it more efficient than magma-based "drowning" traps with hatches? No.

Is it dwarfy? Oh, very yes.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: May 08, 2012, 08:48:34 am »

What about 2 tracks with a small intersect where they cross and dump their contents (Magma and water) and drop it down a hole, AKA dwarven machinegun.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: May 08, 2012, 08:50:00 am »

Run a "trap delivery" cart system, which fills itself with magma, rolls over your entrance, drops its contents through the grate on one side (onto invaders below), and rockets back to pick up more magma. Like vats of boiling oil, only automated and with magma. If carts can be 100% magma safe, you could have a set of carts whose sole function is to drop magma at predetermined points when a lever is flipped, then reload.

Is it more efficient than magma-based "drowning" traps with hatches? No.

Is it dwarfy? Oh, very yes.

I'm imagining being a goblin in such a trap.

Looking around, seeing no exit. Suddenly, magma falls from a grate in the ceiling, making a red-hot puddle on the floor. No trouble, just walk around it. Then, more magma falls. Hmm. The puddle is bigger. Then more magma, and more.

It's a slow, inefficient and sadistic way of killing enemies. Yep, it's dwarfy alright!
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: May 08, 2012, 10:10:24 am »

I'm imagining being a goblin in such a trap. Looking around, seeing no exit. Suddenly, magma falls from a grate in the ceiling, making a red-hot puddle on the floor. No trouble, just walk around it. Then, more magma falls. Hmm. The puddle is bigger. Then more magma, and more. It's a slow, inefficient and sadistic way of killing enemies. Yep, it's dwarfy alright!
I'm picturing a lot of carts, with fairly-close-spaced grates, but yes. Effectively, you're burning them with low-depths of magma over a large area. It'd be much easier/faster to set up a passive flow system with a reloadable cistern, and hatches that dump large volumes of magma into the space and flood it, but that wouldn't involve minecarts or the application of "just enough" magma.

YMMV, as always.

Arranging for magma and water to mix and form a cave-in machinegun is an idea I hadn't (yet) considered, but is worth some thought. Forming lava pools solely to create magma mist through falling, mixing fluids triggered at a lever pull to ignite your foes sounds like fun.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1244 on: May 08, 2012, 01:08:32 pm »

Sweet. The additional features for the minecarts will definitely make obsidian casting for my airship that much simpler to get done (I intend to have farm and a nearby magma pump for lignite bombing runs) constructed inside the ship. Actually, looking ahead, my Bloodaxe megaproject will be even cooler to illustrate and tell the story of as I construct it with the new stuff and adjustments (like mining) being made so far.

I can't wait for the next release.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 01:11:17 pm by Itnetlolor »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 95