Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 249928 times)

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #1245 on: May 08, 2012, 03:08:19 pm »

the whole directed dumping does allow for possibilities as we can just have ore carts dump in a massive pile by the smelters, not needing for stockpiles.

it also allows for non dump quantum stockpiles
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: May 08, 2012, 03:26:27 pm »

I thought of that, and I think it would be really cool to dump your ore into a huge silo chamber with an opening at the bottom that a small amount would pour out of for the use of the smelters.  The only real problem is you would need separate silos and some way keep your ore rubbles from mixing.  Doing it with wheelbarrows could use customizable zones, but with carts you would have to set up plates to separate them by density, which would be annoying.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: May 08, 2012, 08:31:20 pm »

We could safely store magma in parked carts until it is required, perhaps with interesting temperature consequences. I don't know if the cart would cool eventually, or if it would act as a heat source.

If carts can dump liquids on pressure plates, which are liquid sensitive, then cart computing just got more possibilities.

the whole directed dumping does allow for possibilities as we can just have ore carts dump in a massive pile by the smelters, not needing for stockpiles.

it also allows for non dump quantum stockpiles

So a very short section of track that takes items only from an input stockpile and dumps them into a nearby quantum pile. No forbidding or manual dumping is required.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: May 08, 2012, 10:51:46 pm »

This just gave me an idea. What about an automatic, rapid repeating freeze trap.

You have a moat in a freezing biome. Underneath is a minecart track. You put a minecart full of magma under it, as it passed under the ice, it melts into water, as it leaves, it refreezes. If you have enough carts going past, the tile will be freeing and melting rapidly to be very lethal.

Gobline walks across ice floor, it melts, he falls in and the water freezes. Goblin is entombed.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: May 08, 2012, 11:03:02 pm »

I hope it works like that! I doubt it will, and if it did it would be murder on the FPS, but we can dream
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: May 08, 2012, 11:03:30 pm »

if water is unaffected by temperature when it carts it wouldn't matter. you would just need a dumping rail above dumping onto the goblin outside, as soon as the water lands: bam, entombed.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: May 08, 2012, 11:19:39 pm »

Carts aren't unidirectional correct?
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: May 08, 2012, 11:37:35 pm »

if water is unaffected by temperature when it carts it wouldn't matter. you would just need a dumping rail above dumping onto the goblin outside, as soon as the water lands: bam, entombed.

I think water in buckets can freeze, so it probably will freeze in carts too unfortunately.
Carts aren't unidirectional correct?

Yet to be seen. I wouldn't think so, but the rollers might be one-way. We'll have to see what happens.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: May 08, 2012, 11:44:35 pm »

How would it be unidirectional?

You can send them any which way leaving a stop, including presumably back they way they came. And we know they can bounce back on impact, since newton's cradle is reported to work.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: May 08, 2012, 11:56:13 pm »

I think water in buckets can freeze, so it probably will freeze in carts too unfortunately.

could possibly do this:

(side view)
.....##....##
....._#....._#
.....##....##
########

# solid wall
... open space
_ cart dump ( to the left)

this way the cart is always under a wall, and just like (natural) floor covered water will not freeze, until it's dumped onto the enemy of course.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Socializator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress CZ
« Reply #1255 on: May 09, 2012, 05:49:40 am »

Quote from: Toady
Who said this game wasn't going to be fun? Let me tell you. It may be a little harder to move rocks without minecarts and wheelbarrows now, but when you get them going you can do amazing things. Carving rock blocks makes more than enough building material, so I was able to construct a good sized temple outside the entrance in just the first year. Mining ore gives you more material too, so I was able to do the interesting things which I will now describe.

I piled up all the clay I had been collecting (clay stockpiling is now fixed) and laid an iron track down the mound. I added a ramp at the bottom to make it shoot the car into the sky and on to a deceleration platform. Between the ramp and the landing pad I build an iron wall two squares tall. In the end the cart cleared the wall but just missed the platform and slammed into the side. The dwarf was a casualty, but you know that.

We are doing our best to make the minecart/hauling system as easy to use as possible. That and some other issues people had from before. I think this will be a great release. I hope you will enjoy it when it comes out soon!

cant ... wait... any... longer!
Navštivte českou Dwarf Fortress komunitu a fanpage!

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: May 09, 2012, 08:03:48 am »

point of order - that was ThreeToe
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: May 09, 2012, 08:12:42 am »

point of order - that was ThreeToe

Your point?

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: May 09, 2012, 09:37:30 am »

The point is, that quote was contributed to Toady.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: May 09, 2012, 12:27:14 pm »

The point is, that quote was contributedattributed to Toady.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 95