Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Project: Hyperactivity  (Read 24741 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project: Hyperactivity
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2012, 11:17:27 pm »

The Opiums Wars were over the British (and to a later and lesser extent Americans) selling a banned narcotic (opium) to the Chinese.  The idea of exporting opium from India--Bengali in particular (and in the case of the USA, Turkey) was not the first thing they hit upon.  However, the value of the goods demanded from China (tea, rhubarb, silk, porcelain) far exceeded the limited demand for western goods in the largely self-sufficient Chinese market.  The current accounts deficit was made up in raw silver shipped from the West to China.  This was unsustainable.  Ultimately opium had the proper demand level and value density to balance the trade.

To mirror this, Dwarves should not produce their own tea.  It should be distilled from the tears of elvish prisoners... or just imported but never produce any seeds.

wow, you (and the guy you are replying to) know your stuff.  awesome.  This is a really interesting and and under-studied and often ignored area of history.

I'm all for tea, but if you're going to simulate it properly then it cant be at all like existing game mechanics (alcohol type based on plant or extract variety).  Tea all comes from the same plant.  Black, Oolong, Green, White, Gre/ay, it all comes from the tea plant.  Lighter teas are oxidixed less, blacker teas oxidized more.  Sometimes the plants are grown at higher altitudes, or leaves are picked earlier in their growth cycle, or higher off the plant...

It would sort of be a whole new branch of horticulture and cultivation.  At the same time, youd want to make a framework that is able to seperate brewing from distiling, and whatever various kinds of coffee roasting their might be (I live in a coffee mecca, but know nothing about it).

anyway, long story short, this is an awesome idea but if executed to the levels of detail that other features in DF are done, it would be something of an undertaking.  Sounds cool though.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 11:20:04 pm by puke »

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2012, 11:21:01 pm »

Frozen Custard? YOU SICK ELF COLLABORATOR.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2012, 03:50:48 am »

Ya, those are around the 3-4 mark. That was part of the "not pretty." :-D

And 5 is an estimate based on a comparative timeline to test animals. We've not actually killed humans to test this... >.> :p

120 hours is the approximate point the human brain can no longer tell your lungs to breath, or your heart to beat. Again, it would be nearly impossible to drag a human to that depth of sleep deprivation... The animals were hard enough :-D

World record is 449 hours (over 18 days), scientifically verified record stands at 264 hours (eleven days), so your approximation is way off
Claimed record is 33 years but there is no verification for that.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2012, 07:24:53 am »

wow, you (and the guy you are replying to) know your stuff.  awesome.  This is a really interesting and and under-studied and often ignored area of history.

They left out a lot and got some things wrong, DON'T MAKE ME GO ENGLISH ON YOUR ARSE.

Meanwhile,
Code: [Select]
[PLANT:QUORRY_BASH_LOL]
[NAME:quorry bash][NAME_PLURAL:quorry bashes][ADJ:quorry bash]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:100000]
[BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]
[PICKED_TILE:1][PICKED_COLOR:7:0:0]
[GROWDUR:1000][VALUE:100000]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:DRINK:PLANT_ALCOHOL_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen quorry bash tea]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:quorry bash tea]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling quorry bash tea]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:100000]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:7:0:0]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[DRINK:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:DRINK]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SEED:SEED_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:1]
[SEED:quorry bash seed:quorry bash seeds:0:0:1:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED]
[SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER][SPRING]
[FREQUENCY:100]
[CLUSTERSIZE:9001]
[WET][DRY]
[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER]
[UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:1:3]
[SHRUB_TILE:1]
[DEAD_SHRUB_TILE:1]
[SHRUB_COLOR:7:0:0]
[DEAD_SHRUB_COLOR:0:0:1]

Pretty much your standard unbalanced Quorry Bash tea, gives no bonuses, has a value 9.5x that of adamantine, as per norm.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2012, 09:29:08 am »

Ya, those are around the 3-4 mark. That was part of the "not pretty." :-D

And 5 is an estimate based on a comparative timeline to test animals. We've not actually killed humans to test this... >.> :p

120 hours is the approximate point the human brain can no longer tell your lungs to breath, or your heart to beat. Again, it would be nearly impossible to drag a human to that depth of sleep deprivation... The animals were hard enough :-D

World record is 449 hours (over 18 days), scientifically verified record stands at 264 hours (eleven days), so your approximation is way off
Claimed record is 33 years but there is no verification for that.

(shrug) just relaying what I was taught in class. During REM deprivation studies they were unable to keep the patient from initiating sleep going through day 3, and the patients were going completely out of their mind. They ended the study, yanked half the EEG wires off themselves, and the techs heard a thump in the hall. They were in REM, barely made it out the door. Put them in the hospital, slept most of a day.

Based on comparable studies where we shocked different animals the moment sleep was detected, the estimate was the human brain would shut down around day 5.

The study you mentioned was not mentioned in any of my schooling, or the 20 hours of CME I completed over the last couple months.

Gunna have to look that up. Sounds like it should be a fun read, based on how quickly patients degraded in the previous studies :p

Vitamin supplements and different infusions can lengthen possible times, as well as a couple minutes catnaps here and there. None of which was allowed in the studies I was referring too,just normal meals and water. Basically the tech sees the first seconds of sleep, hits the "patient arouser" :p

Edit: although, now that you mention it, that fatal form of insomnia does end with the last couple weeks getting nearly none/zero sleep, so I can see those estimates they made being off. Forgotten about that.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 09:43:16 am by rtg593 »
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

orehammer

• Escaped Lunatic
  • est. 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2012, 09:34:35 am »

milk in tea?

Dafuq?

We English put milk in our tea, and nobody knows more about tea than the English.

Some things are simply immutable laws of the universe.

Tea without milk is just brown leaves in a bag added to hot water. maybe with a chance of sugar if necessary.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 09:36:52 am by orehammer »
Meh...

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2012, 09:35:19 am »

Vitamin supplements and different infusions can lengthen possible times, as well as a couple minutes catnaps here and there. None of which was allowed in the studies I was referring too,just normal meals and water. Basically the tech sees the first seconds of sleep, hits the shocker :D

The scientifically verified one was stimulus free, although I don't recall if that included vitamin supplements. The others are anyones guess, as I have no idea on the scrutiny of things like the guinness book of world records other than someone was that to see it happen.

Not sure shocking people is gonna help their state of well being either :P
Personally I find I crash after about 36 or so hours now. I like sleep.

maybe with a chance of sugar if necessary.

No.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2012, 09:47:19 am »

Vitamin supplements and different infusions can lengthen possible times, as well as a couple minutes catnaps here and there. None of which was allowed in the studies I was referring too,just normal meals and water. Basically the tech sees the first seconds of sleep, hits the shocker :D

The scientifically verified one was stimulus free, although I don't recall if that included vitamin supplements. The others are anyones guess, as I have no idea on the scrutiny of things like the guinness book of world records other than someone was that to see it happen.

Not sure shocking people is gonna help their state of well being either :P
Personally I find I crash after about 36 or so hours now. I like sleep.

Lol, probably didn't. You quoted before I edited, there is a fatal type of insomnia where you sleep less and less every night, ending with a couple weeks of no measurable sleep, so I can see the other studies estimates being off. I'd forgotten about it. Humans are pretty resilient :p

But ya, either way, passing your crash point really sucks mentally.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 04, 2012, 10:10:22 am »

Tea is a wonderful, lovely thing in all its many, many variations. But adding milk and sugar into good tea does not, in my opinion, make for better tea. It just makes dessert.

But back on topic, this idea sounds wonderful, and I'd pick it up to mod into my games if someone better at modding than me should want to work on it. Alcohol all day every day for the dwarfs .. it works, but I feel the aesthetic urge to dump more options in.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2012, 11:42:58 am »

Humans are pretty resilient

Which is why I can't see a normal person going crazy on day 3.(I'm not crazy, might get called out on that hehe) Or dying on day 5.

Humans > Small mammals

How would we go about making a reaction of adding stuff to the quorry bash tea?

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2012, 12:02:29 pm »

X = quorry bash
If (location.y) >= 20
X = peak quorry bash
Else if (location.y) <= -20
X = subterranean quorry bash

Hmm
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2012, 12:08:37 pm »

Tea without milk is just brown leaves in a bag added to hot water. maybe with a chance of sugar if necessary.

Well the first part is correct... but sugar is the devil.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2012, 12:09:57 pm »

Well the first part is correct... but sugar is the devil.

I have to agree. It imparts a horrible 'sour' corrupted flavour to the tanniny goodness...also tea is brown joy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eELH0ivexKA
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2012, 12:11:06 pm »

Then what about green tea or apple tea.

CHECK MATE

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2012, 12:16:18 pm »

I have to agree. It imparts a horrible 'sour' corrupted flavour to the tanniny goodness...also tea is brown joy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eELH0ivexKA

That man is a genius voice of a generation.

Then what about green tea or apple tea.

CHECK MATE

What about what now?

Look, you crazy person, there is only one type of tea that exists and that is black tea, in all its varieties of which English Breakfast Tea is clearly the best.

None of this nasty fruit tea, green tea nonsense!
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11