Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1231 1232 [1233] 1234 1235 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3939156 times)

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Combat Teams
« Reply #18480 on: January 30, 2014, 05:18:45 pm »

Leave the laser rifle by the other pile of weapons. Then head over to where Teal is and assist him with helping pull up team members when needed. While waiting, use wristcomp to see how the UWM is doing agriculturally. (Are famines common? Are shortages common? How about surpluses? Whats the average life of a farmer/agriworker?)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 08:59:57 pm by renegadelobster »
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18481 on: January 30, 2014, 07:10:21 pm »

look the place over and plan out handholds and footholds, look for dangers (especially the lightning) and suchlike, and just generally mentally prepare myself to climb around in this place.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18482 on: January 30, 2014, 08:20:57 pm »

Do not touch the neurons to find out.
((Good clarification.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18483 on: January 30, 2014, 08:47:14 pm »

Continue the anchor. If I am informed of the necessity of a rope in the brain chamber, fetch them one and toss it down
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18484 on: January 31, 2014, 01:35:04 am »

Mount up on Xantalos and get rolling.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18485 on: January 31, 2014, 10:45:38 am »

Once that is done, I think we could hold a big meeting of minds, so to speak, and decide what is to be done and how.
((Since we're doing most planning in OOC anyways, I don't really see a reason to wait. Sorry for rushing things, but at this rate we won't start before March, as PW requested.
Construction of new static defenses, and reinforcement of existing ones.   ==> pending...
Establishing a planet-wide monitoring network.  ==>  automated high-altitude drones should work for that
Deciding on the rank-and-file troops that will be fielded by us to counter the UWM Sods.  ==> pending, gonna give a concrete idea here in a minute))

I'd appreciate an IC reply, but just the simple action is enough; no need for special treatment.  And I think I'm already on the list, under defense, unless you're including Steve in there.  Use 'Saint' if 'Steve' is too troublesome/confusing.
((Herp derp my brain is secretly a beach ball. You're right, fixed. Though we'll also need medics for this mission, and since we'll be having sods to help us not being combat-oriented doesn't mean your char won't be able to help out, I suspect.))

Quote from: To Saint Steve
Well, the very short version is: this was a prison ship. Inmates were used as fodder to throw at aliens and anomalies to try and get something useful out of it. But Steve, a massive distributed wetware AI that oversaw our operation and pilots our ship, decided that the UWM isn't capable of governing humanity anymore, and so us inmates are now free to join his rebellion, or walk away and live free. We took this planet, which is basically a big factory, from the UWM by surprise, and now they're coming back to retake it and execute us all.

Welcome to ARM, I hope you'll enjoy your stay.

Piecewise, could I please get a price/clarification on the following things:

-What exactly are Steve bots (apart from robots controlled by Steve, har har)? Synthflesh, regular robobodies, remote-controlled, carry their own wetware cpu (brain), ...
-How exactly would the Doc genemod sods, and do we have any say in that?
-reinforcing the outside of buildings a bit so they can be reliably used as cover against weapons fire
-a few bunkers in the places where there aren't buildings for cover
-a new anti-air laser battery
-hardening 1 laser battery so it can survive some shots from heavy weapons, or the shockwave from a near-detonation nuke. So nothing too heavy, but it shouldn't crumple from 1 gauss cannon round either
-4 heavy lasers and 2 mortars (all embedded in the hardened structure) for a laser battery
-a stationary artillery emplacement. Either gauss or conventional, kinda like the thing for the spiderbot but maybe a bit lower calibre. Should cover at least the base and the valley it sits in.
-a mobile mortar emplacement. Like previous, but smaller, and much shorter range (the previous one is for genral bombardment, this one for getting extra firepower to 1 location). Should come with computer for automatic firing (aka crew designates a spot, computer fires by itself. Maybe an AUX roll from the one who calls it in to determine how accurate it is? Could work for previous one to).
-Can sods learn to use amps and manips?
-what is/ what does/how lethal are blackshot, redshot, grav shells, AP rounds?

((Hey guys, here's a possibility for rounded infantry squad, that should still be kinda 'cheap':

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 12:20:16 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18486 on: January 31, 2014, 12:25:41 pm »

((That looks fine, although I'd give everyone a sidearm, not just the Heavy.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #18487 on: January 31, 2014, 12:45:16 pm »

((I would like to get resource cost quotes before I design any kind of squad that we could use.

Specifically, the costs of things from the armory (excluding amps/manips if Sods/Sod Varients can't use them), the cost of what the doctor would do for genemodded normal sods and commander sods, the cost of Substratum (normal cybersods), the cost of Armatures (commander synthflesh cybersods), etc., etc.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #18488 on: January 31, 2014, 12:56:20 pm »

((@RC: I'd like to point out that sods are smart. They have a problem with situations they weren't designed for. They have a problem with situations they have no orders to account for.
They can use any tactics they have been taught.
So the only way you could improve a sod's mind is to give him imagination.))
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 12:58:41 pm by Parisbre56 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18489 on: January 31, 2014, 12:58:41 pm »

((Would that be a good thing, or a "Syfy Original Movie" thing?))
Sig

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #18490 on: January 31, 2014, 01:03:23 pm »

((I'd like a cost estimate for an Artee as well, since its design and features are pretty much known by now. Not that I hold any serious hopes of them being mass-produced, let alone being accepted as standard. :P But I'd like to prototype one or three during the timeskip.

Non-specifically to the Artee's design, what would be the cost of developing an entirely new synthoid (i.e. like the prosthetic robobodies) frame, reusing no parts from existing designs whatsoever, roughly the same mass and complexity as a four-armed humanoid? Equipment, tentatively, is two laser rifles, two hand lasers, a kinamp, custom grenade/rockets, and a medifoam dispenser, all powered and driven by a large generator, an organic brain, and two regular CPUs.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18491 on: January 31, 2014, 04:14:37 pm »

((That looks fine, although I'd give everyone a sidearm, not just the Heavy.))
((Yeah, but I tried to keep the cost as low as I could, so only gave the heavy one since the others can just use their main weapon. But if sods can indeed use amps, then I'll switch one grenadier to amp user.))
((I would like to get resource cost quotes before I design any kind of squad that we could use.

Specifically, the costs of things from the armory (excluding amps/manips if Sods/Sod Varients can't use them), the cost of what the doctor would do for genemodded normal sods and commander sods, the cost of Substratum (normal cybersods), the cost of Armatures (commander synthflesh cybersods), etc., etc.))
((Then I'd advise you to ask about it yourself, because I wasn't kidding when I put next saturday as deadline. I don't think that PW will mind you posting in two threads if it speeds up the mission process.))

((@RC: I'd like to point out that sods are smart. They have a problem with situations they weren't designed for. They have a problem with situations they have no orders to account for.
They can use any tactics they have been taught.
So the only way you could improve a sod's mind is to give him imagination.))
((Are they smart though? From what I've seen, they don't have any sort of initiative or tactical insight, just mindless obedience. Their commanders usually provide any sort of plans or guidance. But if the Doc can safely make them all smart enough (without dangerous side effects) not to need a commander, then it'll still be convenient to have one sod to give orders to.))

But I'd like to prototype one or three during the timeskip.
((Would that use RU? If yes, it'll depend on what one would cost whether we can afford one.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #18492 on: January 31, 2014, 04:20:07 pm »

Continue charging shapeshifting.

Very well, cousin.

Proceed outward.
You walk out of the sphere, though the black flesh follows you as you walk back out to the shaft that the team cut it's way in with.

"I don't speak cat. But I'm assuming you mean "Wow, this is a large brain. I wonder what that glow is?" Hrmmm. Getting up there is going to be a pain."

Estimate the amount of electricity arcing around. Does it look more like "That tingled unpleasantly" or "Zap I am ded"? Do not touch the neurons to find out. Look around and see if I can find anything that looks like it might not belong in a giant brain room.

It doesn't look fatal, but it...well it looks like it's somewhere between tingling and Deadly. Not the sort of thing that will kill you instantly but...well yeah, it won't tickle.

As per stuff that doesn't belong...well that big fucking glowing thing.

Leave the laser rifle by the other pile of weapons. Then head over to where Teal is and assist him with helping pull up team members when needed. While waiting, use wristcomp to see how the UWM is doing agriculturally. (Are famines common? Are shortages common? How about surpluses? Whats the average life of a farmer/agriworker?)

You walk over to hang out with teal.

As per agriculture, that varies greatly. Remember that UWM is comprised of a loose coalition of hundreds of planets. Some are barely above 1900's levels, others are massively advanced, above even the level we enjoy on the ship in some cases. So if a low level settlement lives on a shitty, harsh planet, they're gonna have a bad time of it.

Overall though, things are pretty good; most people can at least depend on having a bed and something to eat, even if neither is very good quality.

look the place over and plan out handholds and footholds, look for dangers (especially the lightning) and suchlike, and just generally mentally prepare myself to climb around in this place.

Dynamic bonus cha-charging.

Continue the anchor. If I am informed of the necessity of a rope in the brain chamber, fetch them one and toss it down

Yay you're an anchor. Yay.

Mount up on Xantalos and get rolling.
All you need now is handlebars and a leather jacket.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18493 on: January 31, 2014, 04:28:25 pm »

((Missed my action, I'm afraid:

-What exactly are Steve bots (apart from robots controlled by Steve, har har)? Synthflesh, regular robobodies, remote-controlled, carry their own wetware cpu (brain), ...
-reinforcing the outside of buildings a bit so they can be reliably used as cover against weapons fire
-a few bunkers in the places where there aren't buildings for cover (or give cost for 1 bunker if that's easier)
-hardening 1 laser battery so it can survive some shots from heavy weapons, or the shockwave from a near-detonation nuke. So nothing too heavy, but it shouldn't crumple from 1 gauss cannon round either
-4 heavy lasers and 2 mortars (all embedded in the hardened structure) for a laser battery
-a stationary artillery emplacement. Either gauss or conventional, kinda like the thing for the spiderbot but maybe a bit lower calibre. Should cover at least the base and the valley it sits in.
-a mobile mortar emplacement. Like previous, but smaller, and much shorter range (the previous one is for genral bombardment, this one for getting extra firepower to 1 location). Should come with computer for automatic firing (aka crew designates a spot, computer fires by itself. Maybe an AUX roll from the one who calls it in to determine how accurate it is? Could work for previous one to).

« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 05:58:55 am by Radio Controlled »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #18494 on: January 31, 2014, 04:31:34 pm »

((Missed my action, I'm afraid:

-a few bunkers in the places where there aren't buildings for cover

((And Pyro's request for some cost estimates. And mine.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 1231 1232 [1233] 1234 1235 ... 1256