Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1054 1055 [1056] 1057 1058 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3937582 times)

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: The Curse of Ivan Continues.
« Reply #15825 on: August 23, 2013, 03:05:52 pm »

Set this to ping every five minutes.

Quote from: To All Teammates From Vich
Everyone, I know you're busy, so please finish your troubles before answering me.

But I have no idea what is happening at the Base, and I would very much to be informed on that.
And idditionally, the Storm we've been following is moving North, which could be dangerous. See the full messages I've already sent you about this here: [See my earlier posts.]
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15826 on: August 23, 2013, 03:08:29 pm »

((No, the kitchen is still standing. I don't think anyone actually died.

So you know what guys, I think we should take a lesson from this. When your job is to explore an extremely dangerous and unknown planetoid, and your base sustain some damage, don't waste several months fixing the base into perfect shape. Make it livable, leave a couple people to continue repair it, and then continue exploring. Also, I blame Pyrodesu for everything. ("Blame" doesn't mean "mad at".) ))

(( I'm just mostly entertained that both missions are having shit hit the fan left and right at about the same time. And PW said some outer buildings, not which ones, though I would assume if you had literally no chance off this rock, PW would have called it for you and opted for a really elaborate description of just how screwed you were, how Steve found your remains, and all that jazz. But it looks pretty bleak, and I'm pretty sure you may have defaulted on your mission objective by getting the AI and all the mission data consumed. Possibly. Someone still needs to examine the crater :P ))

EDIT: (( Ah, PW updated the base map. I'd lost the current link to it at some point. Well, you may be in luck, but you still have a problem with regards to the whole 'eating' thing. Maybe. :P ))
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 03:11:39 pm by Kriellya »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15827 on: August 23, 2013, 03:16:28 pm »

((Even if we had no food we could eat some of the local anomalies.))

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15828 on: August 23, 2013, 03:19:58 pm »

(( Possibly true, but unless I misunderstand the suit design, you still need a hospitable zone in which to eat. Though that is also something you might find on this planet... Well, I think your objective is now clear, find this completely theoretical oasis of both things humans can eat & a place humans can eat before every other zone kills you :P ))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15829 on: August 23, 2013, 03:29:13 pm »

(( Possibly true, but unless I misunderstand the suit design, you still need a hospitable zone in which to eat. Though that is also something you might find on this planet... Well, I think your objective is now clear, find this completely theoretical oasis of both things humans can eat & a place humans can eat before every other zone kills you :P ))
((It's not nearly that bad. You can eat in total vaccum, and Vich has been stuck there for months now, without any troubles. But even if we do need an oasis, I wonder if the Collosus offspring also produce breathable atmosphere that was present when we first discovered the Collosus lake.

Besides, we're getting picked right after you guys finish your mission. So I don't think we actually need a base to survive at this point. Worst case scenario, we will have to migrane North away from the Sand Storm.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #15830 on: August 23, 2013, 03:30:44 pm »

(( I don't think it's eating electronics so much as hunting by radio wave, which electronics throw off like crazy ))

((Electronics don't emit radio waves (nor any kind of waves with the exception of anything that lights up, which emit visible light waves), but they do emit an electromagnetic field. Which makes me think this thing is drawn to its target by EM radiation, then consumes based on local EM fields.))

(( radio waves are a kind of EM radiation :P
There's a reason you're asked to 'turn off all electronics' in aircraft. It's because they're concerned that the minor radio waves thrown off by electronics could interfere with sensitive equipment at the most dangerous portion of the flight. In recent years, I'm pretty sure there's little to be concerned with (assuming you aren't using a transmitter to intentional foul the equipment) but I can certainly believe that earlier commercial electronics were much less efficient about not generating EM waves, and older aircraft equipment much more able to be affected by them. ))

((I know Radio is EM radiation, I said that electronics do not emit EM radiation, but do emit EM fields (these are different phenomena). And I do believe (Might be wrong) that the whole thing about electronics in planes is the EM fields that electronic devices give off potentially interfering with flight instruments. That, and since most consumer electronics that would be used on such an occasion are things like cell phones (smartphones included) or WiFi enabled devices which do emit and receive EM radiation (not strictly radio, I think), but they want ALL electronics off, not just the ones that deal in EM radiation, so the former still stands.

Also, I firmly blame the one who decided it was a good idea to continue exploring, and thus triggering things, while we were still trying to get back to operating with normalcy. Looking at you, Thearpox. Same disclaimer about blame not being mad at applies. Also, good job mixing what looks to be OOC information and what your guy is saying.))

... Everyone return to the base hex. No arguments. We need to regroup.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15831 on: August 23, 2013, 03:32:37 pm »

((We were able to eat supplies we had with us. How could we do that if the suits didn't allow for it? Worse case scenario we eat inside Gilgamesh.))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15832 on: August 23, 2013, 03:43:45 pm »

Also, I firmly blame the one who decided it was a good idea to continue exploring, and thus triggering things, while we were still trying to get back to operating with normalcy. Looking at you, Thearpox. Same disclaimer about blame not being mad at applies. Also, good job mixing what looks to be OOC information and what your guy is saying.))

... Everyone return to the base hex. No arguments. We need to regroup.
((What did I trigger? Did I trigger the Sandworm? No. That way actually you "fixing" things. The Storm? Probably not. It would've probably triggered on it's own and surprised us. But it's not like it affected the Base yet in any way shape or form anyway.

My point was that if we're out in the anomalous planetoid, we're going to have broken stuff, missing walls, and so, whatever happens. And the only consequence of fixing everything is that we spend a lot of time on it, just enough time for it to be wrecked by something else. And when you're fixing stuff, there's always a chance that you will break something else, which will break something else, which will further delay the time until we can explore.

My main point is, that main our job is to explore the planeoid, not keep the base in perfect form. We get points for artifacts and anomalies, not for making a new Garage wall we don't really need anyway. Did I contribute to what happened in the base in the last couple months in either a positive or a negative way? No! (Unless you count the Jack breaking the wall, but that's not the point.) Would I have contibuted in any positive way if I were at the base? No! Was I and the people with me (And Flint.) the only ones who accomplished anything in the last couple months? Yes!

Also, waiting for Miyamoto to give orders, since he's our commanding officer now.  ...waiting to only probably disagree anyway. The irony.))
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 03:46:49 pm by Thearpox »

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #15833 on: August 23, 2013, 03:53:58 pm »

((You moved into the hex at the same time this particular obstacle triggered, and you think it was random? Same with the storm. I don't think PW is sending stuff to kill us without us doing something to trigger it first (and I don't see anything else that could have triggered that, not even the radio thing, since the first blast was too early to have done so and Lar's amped sermon too late.). I think he likes it that way, so that we seal our own doom.))
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 03:58:22 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15834 on: August 23, 2013, 04:10:41 pm »

((Hey, did you see people blaming other people or acting superior in the other thread? This is the HMRC . Shit happens. Let's leave it at that. At least in the OOC.))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15835 on: August 23, 2013, 04:25:09 pm »

((You moved into the hex at the same time this particular obstacle triggered, and you think it was random? Same with the storm. I don't think PW is sending stuff to kill us without us doing something to trigger it first (and I don't see anything else that could have triggered that, not even the radio thing, since the first blast was too early to have done so and Lar's amped sermon too late.). I think he likes it that way, so that we seal our own doom.))
((If we triggered it, then why did the worm move towards the base, not towards us? As for the Storm, there wasn't, and still isn't anything special about that hex. I actually don't think I was moving at all when it triggered, especially since we were in the "shit is happening" mode.

Anyway, I don't think Piecewise is doing this planetoid this way. Having the entire planetoid inanimate, and trigger only when the players step into the hex. It's cheap, it discourages exploration, leading to a very boring Xcom Enemy Unknown style of exploring a particular area, triggering an enemy, falling back, dealing with it, and then continuing. That's not very fun.

Of course, I don't think he's constantly animating the entire planetoid and has a bunch of hidden stuff happening all the time. (But that would be awesome.) Still, I think he's doing it to some degree, at least to the stuff that's not hidden. As for the storm activating, I think it's kind of the "end of the mission" trumpet. A goodbuy gift from the planetoid before Steve saves us from certain death.))

((Hey, did you see people blaming other people or acting superior in the other thread? This is the HMRC . Shit happens. Let's leave it at that. At least in the OOC.))
((This is a legitimate argument over a real disagreement. IC it will get personal very quickly, OOC we have the ability to discuss it like adults.))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15836 on: August 23, 2013, 04:54:12 pm »

go grab one of the dead worms and drag it into the vault, cut it into pieces if necessary.
Butcher said worm with machete then store and label each organ as well as skin, tissue and bone samples.
See if i can find a reaaly small dead worm with a skull around the same size as my head, if found extract and wear it, otherwise just steal its teeth.

((Anyone feel like dropping lukas down that hole so he can chestburst that bastard and we can get our base back/live inside it?
Also your arguments are invalid, this is obviously toasters fault.))
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 05:26:14 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15837 on: August 23, 2013, 04:56:33 pm »

check if the barracks survived, more importantly check if the makeshift medbay and my footlocker are still there.

((Anyone feel like dropping lukas down that hole so he can chestburst that bastard and we can get our base back/live inside it?
Also your arguments are invalid, this is obviously toasters fault.))
((Check my sig, check base map there.))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15838 on: August 23, 2013, 05:09:26 pm »

((Hmmm that does look suspiciously like an intentional plot event, still we should really figure out a way to siphon oxygen off of the crystal oozes lest morul suffocate while we wait for pickup.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15839 on: August 23, 2013, 05:15:14 pm »

((No, the kitchen is still standing. I don't think anyone actually died.

So you know what guys, I think we should take a lesson from this. When your job is to explore an extremely dangerous and unknown planetoid, and your base sustain some damage, don't waste several months fixing the base into perfect shape. Make it livable, leave a couple people to continue repair it, and then continue exploring. Also, I blame Pyrodesu for everything. ("Blame" doesn't mean "mad at".) ))

To Denzel: "Base hasn't been responding to any of my messages for the last few turns. Too busy dealing with their own problems. I can hear a lot of screaming, and I can gather that they're in trouble, and that the inside of the base is invaded, but that's about it. But what that basically means, is that until they finally deal with it, we're kind of on our own. I will continue pestering them of course.

Anyway, considering that Piecewise keeping saying that the mission will end very soon, I'm thinking that we might just abandon the food supplies, since we won't really need them. And in addition, my out of character knowledge says that the base kitchen survived anyway. So what do you think, should we spread out and see what happens when the storm intersects with different anomalies, or keep exploring the areas North of us?"

Does this mean all of the samples stored in the base have vanished? If so, could we get a list of what vanished, and what we still have? Just so we don't run into disagreements later.
In reply: "Piecewise? Out-of-character knowledge? What? Are you more insane than the planet? I'm taking the supplies anyway."

Think about where a good place to keep the supplies would be- in the meantime, carry them back to the base hex with us.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 1054 1055 [1056] 1057 1058 ... 1256