Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1051 1052 [1053] 1054 1055 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3938319 times)

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: The Curse of Ivan Continues.
« Reply #15780 on: August 21, 2013, 11:38:52 pm »

(( Yeah, those murder pizza's are really costing you :P ))

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #15781 on: August 22, 2013, 03:19:34 am »

Did I bring my guns? :D In that case, take the particle-sniper-gun-thingy and start shooting the worms. Otherwise, figure out whether the big particle cannon has cooled down far enough
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15782 on: August 22, 2013, 04:37:15 am »

((I know of roughly two, similar ways of getting rid of this thing, but they both require more mobility than I am capable of, even if I find and hijack the MPV. Ideally, flight is required, as well as a decent powersource. And I can't communicate my ideas in-character. -_-))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15783 on: August 22, 2013, 04:49:24 am »

((I know of roughly two, similar ways of getting rid of this thing, but they both require more mobility than I am capable of, even if I find and hijack the MPV. Ideally, flight is required, as well as a decent powersource. And I can't communicate my ideas in-character. -_-))
((I can fix that for you. Although I hate to have Flint do that. Eh, whatever.))

"Someone with enhanced strength needs to pick up the portable generator from the garage, someone with flight needs to rip the antenna from the roof and someone with technical skill needs to connect them away from the base!"

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15784 on: August 22, 2013, 05:17:09 am »

((I was thinking more along the lines of actually killing the darn thing, actually. I could lure it myself, I've got enough random scraps and wires on me to turn my two-prong wheelchair into a radio feedback transmitter. I just kinda want to survive afterwards. :P))

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15785 on: August 22, 2013, 06:48:48 am »

((Please tell me lukas isnt going to fire his chest cannon into the base...))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15786 on: August 22, 2013, 06:56:40 am »

((Please tell me lukas isnt going to fire his chest cannon into the base...))
((Considering these are just the "whiskers" of this creature and we have yet to see its full size, I think getting ready for firing the chest cannon might not be such a bad idea.))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15787 on: August 22, 2013, 07:03:21 am »

((Its not the charging that concerns me, in fact im all for it.
its his target(s) location that gives me pause, perhaps we should bait it the worms away from the base before he fires?))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #15788 on: August 22, 2013, 11:25:28 am »

"I wonder..."

Find some way to get the worms attention. Or something.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15789 on: August 22, 2013, 11:48:42 am »

((Its not the charging that concerns me, in fact im all for it.
its his target(s) location that gives me pause, perhaps we should bait it the worms away from the base before he fires?))
(("Worm", singular - at least because this is a dead ringer for that one famous franchise. Famous with biology majors at least. We still don't know for sure though, but I believe we're soon going to find out.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #15790 on: August 22, 2013, 12:59:59 pm »

Keep running towards the base. If I get close enough to hurt those things, fire the laser.

"Guys, what the hell just happened?"
Still out there. You're quite a ways out and time isn't going it's normal "Just skip 8 hours of walking".

((Noooo!!! The Lab Samples! They must not come to harm!

And Vich only turned his radio off because he hated listening to Lars's sermon, it was not a security precaution.

Andd actually, now that I think about it, those things are one of the few things we can actually kill on this planet. This might be fun.))

Continue exploring.

Follow Vich. Consciously.
You both continue your southern trip until you feel something strange happen. It's as though something enormous just clicked into place; like an enormous metal latch closing. And then the storm, the great wall of swirling dust, begins to advance forward.

"SHIT!"

OPEN FIRE OPEN FIRE DAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA! SHOOT THAT FUCKING ROCKWORM!

((Nuuuu, I meant give Lars his helmet no matter what. Or did I not get the chance?))

(not get the chance.)

[con:5+1]
You fire like mad into the closest worm, emptying your entire magazine into it. It seems pretty effective at killing the beast, but also leaves you with one less magazine.

You scamper away from the base and the worms slowly eating their way through it.

((Yeah, I think the sandworms won that race.))

"ALGIS, SAVE ME!  STEEEEEEVE"

Get out of there.  Find a room that's still pressurized and seal the door.  AI Core, Barracks, whichever looks safer.  Look for something airtight I can jury-rig as a helmet at least in terms of air.
The closest, still pressurized room is the kitchen. So, you throw yourself into the freezer and curl up in a ball against the wall, whispering quietly to yourself about how steve will save you.

((Oh Lars... Your radio spamming has doomed you. Just as I suspected it would.

And we got very, very lucky this turn.))

Hover up in the air out of reach of those things and let loose a few bursts from my rocket rifle, aiming for effect.
[con:6]
You spray rocket rounds down at the creatures. It's very effective at killing them, bursting their albino hides open and splattering them on the stone, but you manage to hit the base a fair number of times and it turns out the rocket rifle is fairly effective against it too.

sigh and turn off my speaker, stand up and walk closer to the base but not within its immediate vicinity.

Watch as the sandworms destroy everything.

You walk a bit closer and sit down to watch the carnage unfold. Admittedly, Morul and Bishop aren't doing too bad; they're slaughtering the worms pretty easily, if sloppily. You're pretty sure Bishop just shot a hole in his own wall.

The fourth man, Anton, is either very smart or very lucky.
((Neither. Anton's been rather preoccupied with his leg troubles back when Simus installed the array. He never fixed his radio. It's plainly not working.))

"Holy... eh. Somehow I am no longer surprised. At this point a meteorite erasing this base from existence would not be terribly surprising. At least it's not coming after me."

Drive around at the garage entrance, observe the situation inside. Are there any vehicles left? What are the snaketacles doing, specifically? Don't approach too closely - the wheelchair isn't exactly the most agile transportation method. Attempt to intuit the nature and purpose of the attacking creature(s).

((Anton is now the wrongest interpretation of the words "Curiosity Rover". :P ))
You watch the worms inside the garage as they begin tearing apart and eating various tools, vehicles and supplies. They seem to be going after electronics, especially activated electronics, a lot more then anything else. [intuition:6-1]

It's possible they're attracted to certain electromagnetic radiation or sensitive to electrical fields. Could explain their attraction to the radios. You get the feeling you might want to stay a bit back from them, less they eat your chair.

Did I bring my guns? :D In that case, take the particle-sniper-gun-thingy and start shooting the worms. Otherwise, figure out whether the big particle cannon has cooled down far enough

You have your guns, but are you sure you want to fire at the building? You miss, you could hit someone. And that is the sort of rifle where their end rolls would be for deciding how many pieces they're blown into. 

We need:
1: Kevin bacon
Assload: Dynamite

"I wonder..."

Find some way to get the worms attention. Or something.
[intuition:2]
You slap your butt and attempt to look like a big, tasty semi-conductor.

The worms, what few are left, suddenly begin to scatter, returning back under ground or slithering away  from the base. The rumbling underground has reached a maddening crescendo. It feels like someone has trapped the base in a paint mixer. This can't be good.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15791 on: August 22, 2013, 01:17:28 pm »

"O Cog-azaon, I beseech you!  Grant me the knowledge of reproducing a pressurized helmet!  O Hal-mon, guide my hand as I construct it!  Pathmas, may our team be ever in your favor.  Algis, may you bless us with your shielding hands.  Steve, I love you!"

See if I can jury-rig a helmet from whatever is here.  Pray for divine guidance.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15792 on: August 22, 2013, 01:21:09 pm »

"They're after... OH FRAK! ALVIN!"

The realization dawning on him, Anton prepares to shout a warning into the radio, but immediately stops when he realizes that doing so will attract the creatures to him.

"А, чтоб тебя! Let's hope this works..."

Without a moment to lose, Anton types a message into the datapad, sets it to broadcast at maximum urgency, and leaves it on the ground, speeding off in the direction he last saw Bishop. Get his attention and relay the message to him in case something goes wrong with the radio.

Quote from: text message from Anton Chernozorov to EVERYONE; EMERGENCY
ALVIN, EMERGENCY SHUTDOWN! CUT ALL POWER TO BASE FACILITIES!

The creatures are going after electronics, active electronics! We have to lure them away or the base is done for. And our life support and ALVIN are underground.

ALVIN, EMERGENCY SHUTDOWN! CUT ALL POWER TO BASE FACILITIES!

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15793 on: August 22, 2013, 01:39:36 pm »

((By the way, for everyone's knowledge. As far as I remember, the MPV is still outside the base, loaded with shuttle-parts, as nobody touched it after Jack brought it to base. Or am I forgetting something?

Oh, and Sean. I think Alvin is already dead. Along with all the data he stored. Okay, maybe not all the data.))

Turning on his radio, Vich really hoped that the sermons Lars was singing stopped.

"Okay, do you think we triggered something? HOW? Nevermind, this planetoid has managed to surprise me once again. Every time it seems to me as if I had figured out it's tricks, it manages to surprise me. And this time apparently, it's the movement of several people affecting the entire giant storm. Unless of course it wasn't us, but we will probably never know that. Probably just me being paranoid.

Okay, I hope it's painfully obvious to everyone that we need to start moving away from this thing. And even if it isn't moving fast enough now, it can always speed up. Hm, the one good thing about this situation is that we can observe the effects of it colliding with other anomalies. But the food we left might become a liability."

(Let's just assume it was before Anton's emergency message, okay? To make it make sense.) To Base: "Base, what exactly is happening over there? Remember, we're far away, so we can't exactly see it.
Because what is happening over here, is that the huge storm we've been following all this time has decided to start moving forward. I haven't estimated yet how fast it is moving, and it is pretty far away from the base. However, it might be in our best interests to displace the reserve food supplies by the broken shuttle-half before the storm reaches them. We have no vehicles, so it might be difficult for us to do it, but anyone with a robot, an MPV, or a shuttle, should manage."

Turn on my radio.
How fast is the storm moving? Faster than us walking? Is it speeding up?
Will the storm be able to reach the base before our time on this planet runs out?

Leave a single drone to monitor the storm's progress, by moving back as the storm moves forward. In other words, every time storm moves a subhex forward, the drone moves a subhex back.
Send a drone to map out the direction we were walking in, following the storm, but once again, moving back as the storm moves forward. The idea, is following the pinging signals from the drone, to know how much further the storm extends.
Send a drone to map out the unexplored hex between where we stand right now and the electric field. Once it finishes, have it return on the Dry Lake Bed for us to pick up.

Use Zephyris's skills to do it if I need to roll Aux at any point. If I can send the drone, but some of the variables I specified are too hard to do ir comprehend, send them anyway, we don't have time for a Q&A session.

That done, walk/jog North. Don't do the whole drone thing if we have no time for this, and have to literally run for out lives.
After reaching the Dry Lake Bed and picking up the drone, follow Denzel, and help him with the supplies.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 06:50:12 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15794 on: August 22, 2013, 01:45:16 pm »

Oh, and Sean. I think Alvin is already dead. Along with all the data he stored. Okay, maybe not all the data.))
((Well, not dead, technically. I would hesitate to call the status of an AI of his type "living". But probably destroyed, yes. The commotion is probably his laser turrets giving the monster a what-for. That's still as in-character as I can make Anton react though. And our life support is still a lot of powered machinery, largely, and still underground. Cutting the power to save what's left seems like a good course of action.))

Pages: 1 ... 1051 1052 [1053] 1054 1055 ... 1256