Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1011 1012 [1013] 1014 1015 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3941673 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: From Bad to Worse
« Reply #15180 on: July 15, 2013, 05:18:04 am »

((Yeah... i wouldnt recommend phasing into the cockpit...
getting your head stuck in a metal wall sounds painful.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #15181 on: July 15, 2013, 06:27:04 am »

All right, let's get him as close the the door as we can before we crack the suit, if it can't fit inside itself, we want to expose him to vacuum for as short a time as we possibly can. I'll get the door, you crack the cockpit and get him inside as quickly as you can.

Mesk, we need you in the umbilical to the conference room, Anton got injured and trapped in Gilgamesh and is unresponsive, and we might have to expose him to vacuum for a few seconds to get him inside.

If the suit can fit inside, assist with moving it in. If it can't, then move it as close to the door as possible ?without? preventing the cockpit from opening and us being in front of it. Once it's in place and Lukas is ready, open the door for Lukas to ferry Anton through and close it after we're in.

"Roger!"

First test whether the suit fits inside. Otherwise move as close to the door as possible. Wait for Anton to be ready and then crack the cockpit open and get Anton inside as fast as possible.
((He (she? would that be the player or the character?) means get it as close as possible, but without obstructing the cockpit. I.e. so that there's enough space to open the darn thing.

Also, Simus can phase into the cockpit and see what exactly is wrong with Anton, and/or open the thing from the inside without causing undue damage to the suit.))

((Ah, right. I get it. My mistake))
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #15182 on: July 15, 2013, 09:48:45 am »

((Besides, my control over the phase effect has so far been limited to fingertips before stopping.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #15183 on: July 15, 2013, 12:26:57 pm »

Fix the wall.

Thats a handi roll. You have -2 to handi. Sure you wanna do that?

"Right. Remind me not to piss you off. So, uh, what next?"

Assist Bishop with the umbilical.
((Ahahahaha, nice.))

"Huh? Oh, we'll slice this thing up into large panels and use them to rebuild walls and stuff. Should be quicker than using rubble. Feel free to give me a hand in cutting and carrying the panels."

Slice the umbilical into large panels. Don't let it roll away to the gravity seep!
[Bishop handi:4+1]
[Morul handi:5-1]

With some amateurish help from Morul, Bishop slices the umbilical up into nice, neat stacks of metal sheeting. They're rounded and some aren't perfectly even, but over all it's good work.

prepare tools for leg replacement.
You start to gather up the tools when something crosses your mind.

"Hey, Lukas." you ask over the radio as you look through the remaining prosthetic parts, "Which leg is he missing?"

((I just remembered I have a -1 in handiwork, so I'm not trusting myself with this. Let's do something useful...))

Detach my rocket pods from the exosuit and attach them to my mark 2. EDIT: Oh, and get out of the exosuit of course.
Check to see if there's anything inside the near base crater, the one that ate the garage wall. Do NOT go down there, just look.
If the ground is safe, make my way to the gravity seep and check what's down there. Again, do NOT go down there, don't poke my hand in or do anything stupid, just look. Take some air and ground samples near the crater. Check and see what's going on with that orange goo that was in the chasm. Is it still emitting air? Does the air remain close to the surface or is it "evaporating"?

Removing and reattaching that jump pack is gonna be a handiwork roll too, though.

As per the crater near the base, that one just looks like a normal crater. Solid now, but still really deep and embarrassing to get yourself caught in.

The center of the gravity seep looks fairly unchanged; a sort of crushed, metallic thing way down at the center and nothing else. Hm.  Theres no air around the seep itself, however the canyon with the orange goo is emitting an atmosphere now, though only right around itself. It seems stable down there, as it is, but you make a mental note not to throw anything in there.

Well, people going completely unresponsive in universe doesn't really make sense either. I was just wondering exactly what that must look like, in universe. People just standing there, completely still, staring forward with a blank expression. Oh well
((Oh god. This totally reminds me of Mogworld. Did anybody read it besides me? It's hilarious, and the resemblance to the "Syndrome" victims is uncanny. Almost makes me want to have the "Syndrom" be a thing.
EDIT: Just as it reminds me of Life Begins at Death by Harry Baldman. I wonder if he read it...

By the way, is it just me, or do Toaster and Piecewise have very different perceptions of Lars? Because I don't think it is the first time I see this kind of dissonance. I, of course, just go with the Toaster version.))

"Not the worst idea ever, but we should probably see what actually happens if it "eats" the drone. Even a footage of it eating a drone can be valuable, and we don't have a lot of them to throw at it now that the box of drones at the base got destroyed. They are actually outnumbered by people now, isn't that ironic?

I don't think it will do anything remotely aggresive at this range. Not that I would know."

Get closer to the thing so we can actually see it well. Like 1.5 subhexes, or whatever makes sense. Then go with what Lars says.

Also can we get a working map but just for our team. Since we're exploring, and we're continuing to map the planetoid, it's kind of practical to have a map. Can we just say that Vich is using MS Paint on his wrist-pad to map what we see?

You take a few steps forward while Lars lags behind. You get maybe 10 more steps towards the ball.
[dex:6]
The ball moves. Or rather, it seems to stop existing in one place and start existing in another. That other place being about ten feet in front of you. It's much larger when viewed from this distance; a boiling sphere of black and semi-black, mostly opaque fluids a good dozen feet tall.  You don't wait to see whats going to happen; you hurl yourself backwards without even thinking about it.

As you fly back, accidentally knocking both Lars and Zeph off their feet in the process, the area you had occupied moments ago is pierced through with no less then 3 dozen black, inky spears. They slowly retract themselves back into the orb, leaving the ground you had been standing on potmarked with holes. You stare at the thing, waiting for it to attack again but it just hovers there. Waiting.

"Let us send the drone out.  If the inky ball eats the drone, we stay out.  How's that sound?"

Send the drone out to map the sector unless countermanded.
"Well...that happened."

"Wonder what is in the Conference room now...... TIME TO GO CHECK!"
Run into the conference room and look around
What appears to be in the conference room now is Simus. She appears to be acting as some sort of robot midwife, judging buy the way gilgamesh is posed against the door there...

All right, let's get him as close the the door as we can before we crack the suit, if it can't fit inside itself, we want to expose him to vacuum for as short a time as we possibly can. I'll get the door, you crack the cockpit and get him inside as quickly as you can.

Mesk, we need you in the umbilical to the conference room, Anton got injured and trapped in Gilgamesh and is unresponsive, and we might have to expose him to vacuum for a few seconds to get him inside.

If the suit can fit inside, assist with moving it in. If it can't, then move it as close to the door as possible ?without? preventing the cockpit from opening and us being in front of it. Once it's in place and Lukas is ready, open the door for Lukas to ferry Anton through and close it after we're in.

"Roger!"

First test whether the suit fits inside. Otherwise move as close to the door as possible. Wait for Simus to be ready and then crack the cockpit open and get Anton inside as fast as possible.

If the suit can fit inside, assist with moving it in. If it can't, then move it as close to the door as possible without preventing the cockpit from opening and us being in front of it. Once it's in place and Lukas is ready, open the door for Lukas to ferry Anton through and close it after we're in.
[simus Aux:4]
[Lukas dex:3+1]

Things go about as well as is possible in the whole affair. Simus walks Lukas through opening the cockpit and, the second the cockpit is open and Anton's limp body comes flopping out, propelled by the decompression, he hurls it through the open umbilical door into Simus' waiting arms.

"It's a boy!" Michael shouts over the radio as Simus closes the door and runs to the temporary med bay in the barracks.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #15184 on: July 15, 2013, 12:28:09 pm »

Go find find a way into base instead.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #15185 on: July 15, 2013, 01:00:29 pm »

Very funny, Michael. Where's Mesk, or whoever is acting as a medic at the moment?

Deposit Anton, then go back to the comms array project, welding the lab umbilical back together around the wiring.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15186 on: July 15, 2013, 01:05:39 pm »

((Well, if that wasn't a lucky death roll. With my MKI. Yay!))

"Well, didn't expect that to happen. Hey, let's do it again!

Anyway, if I had to make a guess, I'd say it's guarding something. And guarding it rather violently. I would ideally a drone to reach the center to see what it is guarding, although that will probably not happen. I hope it's a perfect circular area at least, could be really, really dangerous if it was anything but. Huh, if it's so predictable, I wonder how Lucas or amps would fare against it...

Alright, I think making some distance between us and it is a prerogative. Then spearding out. And then sending in that drone.  And you're moving first Lars, it may well react to motion even outside it's designated zone. Unless of course, you would prefer to just lay here until it decides to go back. That would probably be the safe thing to do."

Try to analyze the thing. Do not move, at least until Lars moves.  If he does, the following action applies:

Get away from the thing, about 100-150 meters, and spread out (20m from each other). Continue analyzing the thing.
PS: If it attacks Lars, I kind of need more information what about what exactly it does before I can give a preemptive action. Sorry.

Also can we get a working map but just for our team? Since we're exploring, and we're continuing to map the planetoid, it's kind of practical to have a map. Can we just say that Vich is using MS Paint on his wrist-pad to map what we see?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 01:42:47 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15187 on: July 15, 2013, 01:18:25 pm »

"O Vo-Nos, thank you for your blessing of speed on Brother Vich.  Amen."

I wonder how it tracks us?  I don't see eyes.  Nevertheless, I shall make a break for it.  Let me know what it does."

Run away from it, on a path not intersecting a teammate.  If it holds position, stop about fifty feet away.  If it attacks, just keep running.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15188 on: July 15, 2013, 01:33:39 pm »

"Well done. These will definitely work fine for rebuilding walls. Lukas can just squish and bend them into shape as we need them. Now let's get this crap into the garage and get to work rebuilding."

Move all the scavenged materials into the garage, or at least near the crater without actually going in it. Contemplate the design of a bridge over or through the crater and leading into the garage, taking into account that it has to hold the weight of a fully loaded vehicle, or lukas and Gilgamesh.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #15189 on: July 15, 2013, 03:06:10 pm »

Medicalize Anton.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15190 on: July 15, 2013, 03:12:30 pm »

((Whee! :D

On a related note, PW, in retrospect, considering what happened, would Anton have been better off hiding elsewhere in the Garage? I.e. the forced amputation was an accident, but was the internal damage to the Garage great enough that there were good chances that he wouldn't have survived at all if he didn't get in Gilgamesh? What with the MkI and all.))

Be treated. Find exit from boring plane of blackness and try to wake up - preferably not mid-surgery.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15191 on: July 15, 2013, 03:56:46 pm »

"Maybe you could fill that crater with boulders. If we had enough all we may need to do is lay something flat on top to make it easier to walk on?"

Go scout out some boulders to fill crater with.

((If you need to cross a hole, see if you can fill it first. Yay for simple solutions!))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15192 on: July 15, 2013, 06:05:31 pm »

grab 2 thermal cameras and begin writing an optics program on my pda that will allow my suit to switch between standard visual, thermal and combinational modes.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15193 on: July 15, 2013, 08:43:52 pm »

"Permission to explore?"

If permission is granted, gather supplies and see if anyone else wants to come. In the meantime, or if permission is denied, help find and move boulders to fill the crater.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #15194 on: July 16, 2013, 01:44:05 am »

"Anyway, probably time to get back to bishop"
Help bishop move things
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.
Pages: 1 ... 1011 1012 [1013] 1014 1015 ... 1256