Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 900 901 [902] 903 904 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3943772 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Missile 9: Hot Potato
« Reply #13515 on: April 13, 2013, 10:22:43 pm »

try making a sword from scrap metal, use whatever relevant tools and machinery that arent in use.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #13516 on: April 13, 2013, 10:42:38 pm »

Do whatever it is I'm doing that Lars is helping me with.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13517 on: April 14, 2013, 01:35:29 am »

Quote from: Reply to Vich
I think we can take a bit of time off, sure. I'll see if I can come up with some useful gear that we could use, as well as take a good check on how the base is holding up.

As he walked through the base after returning, Bishop notices Mesk and Lars derping around by the morgue wiring panel he had yet to fix.

"Oh for fucks sake, that's still not fixed yet? Here, I'll help you out by actually doing something."

Get Alvin to shut off all power heading to the morgue, so we don't get shocked by the wires, then carefully slice open the panel with the torch, put in the new cable and check all other wires and connections before taking a few steps back and asking Alvin to power up the morgue again to test if it's all working properly. Don't touch the wires when they are live, and make sure the others don't either. Don't forget to stop Lars from scribbling on anything in there too, just in case.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13518 on: April 14, 2013, 05:44:11 am »

Message to Miamoto:
Quote from: To Expedition leader, Miyamoto
Private Vich here, we've talked before.

I was wondering how long we are planning to stay in the base before the next expedition. In other words, when are we moving out?

If I may, I would also like to suggest a possibility that we, the team Blue, should stay away from the "temporal" anomaly. This is all just speculation and may have been a one off event, but all of us had strange dreams after yesterday's exploration. One again, it may have been a one off event, but I considered it fit to inform you nevertheless.

I would also like to know our policy about taking walks outside. Say if I want to run several miles around the base on days when we're not exploring to keep me fit, or if I want to see the sights at the molten iron sea where the living creatures were found. What is our policy on that?

Message back:
we'll get moving in about a day or two. And I'll be assigning 1 team to experiment on what we've found so far, so at the very least there'll be a big gap between your last and yoer next exposure to whatever caused it.

About the walks: as long as you alert me or Simus that you're going out, you can go for a walk, but don't stray too far. Don't leave our bighex, and try not to walk into the gravity seep, it's bad for your health.

((I'll try to post the next team make-ups and objectives somewhere today. Sorry it is taking so long, but I'm neck-deep in RL stuff right now.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13519 on: April 14, 2013, 10:16:12 am »

Once he came to the base, and took off his base
((You have a portable base? Cool! They give you spies all the best gadgets...))
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
((You can achieve the same or better result by using a horizontal ruler with the BB code
Code: [Select]
[hr]It's the button that looks like this <--> in the forum text editor.))
Realm of a quantum role-playing: "Hey what are you doing here, are you alright? No I wasn't looking for you, I was putting my stuff in the freezer. And I didn't see anyone outside or searching for you, so I think you can come out. Unless you want hypothermia, that is.

Look, are you still mad at me about earlier today? If you want us to play hedgehogs, I am fine with that, just say the word. But I am personally ready to put that stuff behind. And if we happen to clash again for the same reason, then fine, but I see no reason for that disagreement to extend to the rest of our existence. What do you think? (once hearing the response:) Anyway, I am really tired, gotta go to sleep. Good day."

((Can you please tell me what "play hedgehogs" mean? I've never heard that expression before.))

"Hm?" Flint looked up from his wrist computer. "No, I kinda like it here. It's nice and quiet." At least it was, until you came in. "Gives me time to think. And the suit protects me. Just got to be a bit careful with its heat sink fins."

Flint avoided Vich's look, trying to hide his thoughts. Instead he slowly took out his monoatomic razor and examined it closely. So simple and yet so powerful. One wrong move and he would be missing a limb. "Look, I don't like you, I think I made this perfectly clear and I also think you know *why* I don't like you. So, don't try to be my friend or act like we're best buds or anything, don't think you can talk with me and make everything OK. I want nothing to do with you unless it concerns the mission." His monoatomic razor was returned to its holster with one swift motion, a motion resembling that of his eyes, that were now giving Vich a piercing angry look.

"However, we *are* still teammates and we *do* have a mission to survive. I will work with you and help you if I have to, so you don't need to worry about me pushing you in anomaly or leaving you to die or anything. *Some* of us value human life. Just keep your distance and we'll be fine." Flint closed his faceplate and once again turned to his wrist computer. "Good day to you." he said (with a tone that made it sound more like 'Fuck you!') to make it clear that the conversation was over for him.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 10:50:30 am by Parisbre56 »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13520 on: April 14, 2013, 10:32:14 am »

Quote from: To Anton
You are our resident mechanic, are you not? Pardon me if I am wrong.

What is your opinion on using bicycles to move around? Cheap, versatile, effective. Maybe not for us though, these things do require materials I don't know if we have. You think they could be useful?
On the topic, could I put a request for ice skates and perhaps sledges? There are flat lands north of here, with an almost frictionless surface. Ice skates could speed up travel time significantly. Not to speak of the fun.

Quote from: Anton Chernozorov, text message to Vichislav Freidberg
  Not THE resident mechanic, perhaps, but a mechanic, yes. I have no objections to bicycles, but they are difficult to build in the absence of specialized tools and components. Unless you want a tricycle with a pair of pedals welded directly onto a front wheel.

As for ice skates... well let's just say I'd probably find a way to make you a pair, just to see you try to skate on those flatlands. There are some subtle differences between a sheet of ice and a slab of solid, frictionless rock.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13521 on: April 14, 2013, 02:03:23 pm »

((Daarn. I keep forgetting to post stuff here. -_-'))

Anton comes out of his slightly-more-than-momentary stupor, his brain having overloaded from Flint's slight... unhelpfulness earlier. He finds Flint absent, and another person sitting down next to him.

"...uuuuh...ahem. Oh, hm, what? Yeah, some help would be nice. Especially actual help. Here, look at this schematic. Ignore the, uh, dicks here... and there too. See what we were going for here? Okay, now keep that, and help me put this thing together."

Clear the blueprints of as many dicks as possible, and hand them to Jack. Enlist his help in putting the trailer together. Slightly embellish the design to allow the trailer to self-propel itself with the help of a small motor and an additional wheel, though with no direct power source - just contacts for any generator or powerpack to be hotwired into.

If Flint returns from the freezer to help, let him - but clobber him at the first sight of any further dick-drawing.

"Whats with him?"

Help Anton.

[Anton:4+1]
[Jack:6-2]

Jack and Anton, the hindrance of random dicks now removed, easily manage to throw together the trailer using random junk from around the garage.

((Saying that we have equipment analogous to a high school lab is very vague. And what kind of equipment do we have for testing possible chemical reactions?))

Test a bit of each sample in the following manner: Examine under microscope, weigh on scale/measure volume (and calculate density derived from those two measurements), submit to hardness testing, test radiation/heat emission, test for electric charge, submit to flame (be sure to record flame colour), then, after the sample has cooled, reexamine under microscope to see if the structure may have changed during heating, reweigh on scale/measure volume (and calculate density derived from those two measurements), resubmit to hardness testing, retest radiation/heat emission, retest for electric charge. Record all test results on a datapad, then put physical tested samples in different containers, with their names appended with (Physical Properties Tested).
(For simplicity sake lets say you have access to any machinery that costs less then about 500 bucks (Ie no electron scanning microscopes and stuff, but microscopes, centrifuges, meters for radiation, electricity, etc, plus various chemicals and chemical detection tests, are all viable.)
Materials test 1:

The stone samples prove inconclusive but uninteresting; their structures similar to that of regular stone, their densities quite normal, and lacking any radioactive, electrical or heat discharge. Flame doesn't seem to effect them in any way.  The same can be said for the iron sample; although testing reveals it to be impure, probably some sort of alloy. The only interesting thing is the beads.

First thing, Their structure is oddly crystalline, considering they're so smooth and ovoid, and you can make out myriad rombohedral structures through the microscope. They aren't terribly dense, but are extremely tough, as your attempts to test their hardness yield not a single scratch or chip. They are mildly radioactive and electro-active, qualities that increase when near other beads; so much so that visible arcing between beads is observed when they are a few inches apart. Flame seems to have no effect on them, besides blacking them with it's residue, which can be wiped off to reveal the unchanged surface.

"Hey Open the door or Ill have to break in"
Attempt to enter if unable or prevented for no real reason have suit on and laser through the door

Before you start cutting through the door, we'll wait to see how Simus reacts to this.

Hey simus. React to this.

((The days count is really iffy right now. From my side, it has just been three days, but from what I gather, it has been more for some teams. It doesn't particularly bother me, but I just considered it worth pointing out.

Also, for everyone (including me) concerned about the mystery. Remember the datapads I mindlessly erased? Who knows if they had anything, but I think there are still several lying around the barracks. Anton might want to check that.))

Once he came to the base, and took off his base, Vich stretched and flexed his muscles. He was tired from walking all day, from mapping these creepy anomalies, from endless arguing with the crazy and sometimes incomprehensible actor. It was the good kind of tired, the kind he hasn't experienced in many years now. First eyesight, and now this.

The so called "Crazy Suicide Squad" was better at therapy than a much larger squad of civilian doctors. One thing The Doctor had right. Weak of stomach morons. If he knew that this is what he was going to get, he'd have come here much earlier. Maybe he would have even abandoned his revenge. Maybe... but no need to think about that now. Philosophy does not rhyme well with a tired mind. He would've gone to sleep, but he had some things to do first. Truly, it is the busy man who creates the busyness in his life, not the other way around.

Message to Miamoto:
Quote from: To Expedition leader, Miyamoto
Private Vich here, we've talked before.

I was wondering how long we are planning to stay in the base before the next expedition. In other words, when are we moving out?

If I may, I would also like to suggest a possibility that we, the team Blue, should stay away from the "temporal" anomaly. This is all just speculation and may have been a one off event, but all of us had strange dreams after yesterday's exploration. One again, it may have been a one off event, but I considered it fit to inform you nevertheless.

I would also like to know our policy about taking walks outside. Say if I want to run several miles around the base on days when we're not exploring to keep me fit, or if I want to see the sights at the molten iron sea where the living creatures were found. What is our policy on that?

Message to Anton
You are our resident mechanic, are you not? Pardon me if I am wrong.

What is your opinion on using bicycles to move around? Cheap, versatile, effective. Maybe not for us though, these things do require materials I don't know if we have. You think they could be useful?
On the topic, could I put a request for ice skates and perhaps sledges? There are flat lands north of here, with an almost frictionless surface. Ice skates could speed up travel time significantly. Not to speak of the fun.

Message to Bishop
Quote from: To Team Leader
Once again, good job out there steering us. Was fun.

On a serious note, what do you think about taking a little break from expeditions. I'm referring to the fact that it would be very helpful to have some better and more versatile equipment in our arsenal, and you're one of our mechanics. We might benefit from you taking a little time to make something. What do you think?

That done, Vich headed to his bunk. Of course! He must have been getting really absent-minded with age. To leave all his crap unrefrigerated and just sitting there on his bunk. Probably not enough time to get bad, but embarrassing nevertheless.

Well, seems one more thing I will have to do before I go to bed.

Label my stuff with my name, and put the appropriate items in the freezer. If I encounter Flint inside, do the stuff below. If I encounted him anywhere else, still give the speech below, but with some modifications like crossing all the freezer related stuff out. Then go to sleep.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Realm of a quantum role-playing: "Hey what are you doing here, are you alright? No I wasn't looking for you, I was putting my stuff in the freezer. And I didn't see anyone outside or searching for you, so I think you can come out. Unless you want hypothermia, that is.

Look, are you still mad at me about earlier today? If you want us to play hedgehogs, I am fine with that, just say the word. But I am personally ready to put that stuff behind. And if we happen to clash again for the same reason, then fine, but I see no reason for that disagreement to extend to the rest of our existence. What do you think? (once hearing the response:) Anyway, I am really tired, gotta go to sleep. Good day."

((Another very long post, yay!))
(Don't worry about exact day counts or anything. If we do we get into all sorts of problems with forcing some people to go faster and others to go slower.)

You wander into the freezer and have the aformentioned conversation with Flint, who you find barricaded behind icecream sandwiches.

After that, you go take a nap. Getting too old for this.

Do whatever it is I'm doing that Lars is helping me with.
Help Mesk with whatever it is he's doing.

((Sorry, bit rushed for time))

Both mesk and thrakor just sort of stand there with completely blank expressions; any idea of what they were doing now long gone to the mists of time.

try making a sword from scrap metal, use whatever relevant tools and machinery that arent in use.
Well, there's nothing around here hot enough to get the metal molten enough to be really well formed. About the best you could do is weld pieces of metal together and then sharpen the edge and make an incredibly rough, though perhaps effective, machete sort of thing.

Quote from: Reply to Vich
I think we can take a bit of time off, sure. I'll see if I can come up with some useful gear that we could use, as well as take a good check on how the base is holding up.

As he walked through the base after returning, Bishop notices Mesk and Lars derping around by the morgue wiring panel he had yet to fix.

"Oh for fucks sake, that's still not fixed yet? Here, I'll help you out by actually doing something."

Get Alvin to shut off all power heading to the morgue, so we don't get shocked by the wires, then carefully slice open the panel with the torch, put in the new cable and check all other wires and connections before taking a few steps back and asking Alvin to power up the morgue again to test if it's all working properly. Don't touch the wires when they are live, and make sure the others don't either. Don't forget to stop Lars from scribbling on anything in there too, just in case.
[handi:6+1]
Everything goes perfectly! You get everything fixed and welded up just right!

It's only after a few seconds of admiring your work that you notice you're missing Mesk. It appears as though you may have sealed him in the wall.

"How did I even do that?!"

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13522 on: April 14, 2013, 02:24:02 pm »

"Done. Anything else needing made?"

See if anything else needs made if not go look for someone else to help.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13523 on: April 14, 2013, 02:36:02 pm »

Pester our AI with questions:
Quote from: Flint Westwood to ALVIN
Hey there? How's it going? You okay? Functioning normally? Any problems with the base?

Anyway, I was wondering, do you know how long this base has been here (subjective time or Earth time, either one will do) and when it was built?

Also, do you have any info on how and from whom it was built?

Can you tell me if there are any nearby stellar objects and are we in any danger from meteorite collisions?

Do you have any means of long range communication?

Can you estimate how long our food supplies will last at the current rate of consumption and if that will be long enough for the Sword to return?

Do you like it here? I think it's kind of fun, once you learn to avoid the dangerous parts.
Do that thing I didn't do this turn. I know ALVIN would probably be unable to answer most of these things, but there's no harm in asking.
EDIT: Also check if my mining exosuit has any power plugs and whether or not it could carry the generator in the garage.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:34:53 pm by Parisbre56 »

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13524 on: April 14, 2013, 02:52:38 pm »

((base suit. I was tired, ok? And about that line, again I was tired and didn't check how it fit. But sure, maybe I'll use the code. Maybe.

And "Play Hedgehogs"? I just made it up. I thought it was pretty obvious. Hedgehogs=Spiky. Like you taking out your wrist blade every time I come too close. Also, you know that you throwing rocks on me detracts a bit from that dilemma? Like if I were to connect all the dots of you "Making it very clear that you don't like me," I would come to the conclusion that you hate me because I'm a witch and an enemy of progress (neither of which my guy it).

Also, I laughed at the thing with Bishop. I think he sealed Mesk off on purpose. You know, he couldn't get his hands on him after third mission.))

Message to Anton
No, I suppose that'd be bad.

And yeah, I get the difference between skates and that rock. But you don't have to use the traditional not-so-sharp steel. You can make it a lot sharper, or use something else. I think it's a manageable problem.

Message to Jack Hansan
Quote from: To Jack Hansan
Where are you right now? I'm private Vich of the Blue Team, and I gather you are Jack Hansan of the Green Team. If you don't mind, I'd like to talk. Preferably in a room without people.

Search for empty rooms. Empty= No people inside.
EDIT: Supply the religious fanatic with his weapon of choice.
(I don't have to explain this, do I? )
Another EDIT: Accidentally edited my own post instead of quoting it. Sorry.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 01:34:10 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13525 on: April 14, 2013, 03:12:27 pm »

Unseal and open the Laboratory door.

You really do need to learn some patience, Michael. At the least, asking why the door is locked and informing me of why you want in before threatening to break it down.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13526 on: April 14, 2013, 03:49:52 pm »

Head to the lab, and ask Simus for a sample of that iron. If iron is given, head to the garage, and clamp it in a vise, then grind a bit with an angle grinder. Observe sparks.

((This is a legit test for metal. Behold!))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13527 on: April 14, 2013, 04:30:41 pm »

Some of the iron alloy stuff, Migrurkeshin? One moment.

Go and get a sample of the alloy that hasn't been tested upon, close and lock door for while I'm away from it. Hand sample to Morul.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #13528 on: April 14, 2013, 04:52:16 pm »

"Bishop?  Why am I inside a wall?"

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13529 on: April 14, 2013, 04:56:25 pm »

((@Thearpox: Yeah, I understood most of that.
If you ask maybe Flint will tell you why he freaked out with you and Bishop specifically, even though he had met other murderers, like Pancaek.))

((@Simus: I just thought of something. Since the beads seem to be incredibly tough, maybe you could try cutting them with a monorazor? Don't know whether or not it would do something useful.))

"Bishop?  Why am I inside a wall?"
((A better question is "How did I end up inside the wall without me or anyone else noticing?".
Man, I've heard about doctors forgetting their tools inside patients, but I've never heard about patients forgetting their doctors in their walls. Kind of ironic if you think about it.))
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 04:58:11 pm by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 900 901 [902] 903 904 ... 1256