Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 894 895 [896] 897 898 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3945164 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Misson 9: Hot Potato
« Reply #13425 on: April 09, 2013, 09:40:34 am »

Previous|Next

Spoiler: --- Sector Numbers --- (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: --- Locations/Objects of Interest on AP 1774 (Vastitatibus Temporis (The Waste(s) of Time)) ---
Spoiler: --- Subhex numbers --- (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 12:21:50 pm by Parisbre56 »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13426 on: April 09, 2013, 09:41:01 am »

Spoiler: --- Team Info --- (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: --- Base Map --- (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: --- Stockpiles/Equipment/POI in Base (Canary Base) ---
Spoiler:  -- Medbay -- (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  -- Armory -- (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  -- Garage -- (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  -- Kitchen -- (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  -- Barracks -- (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  -- AI ("ALVIN") -- (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  -- Life support -- (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: --- Useful links --- (click to show/hide)

((If you have any suggestions/comments/corrections, please PM those to me.))
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 12:12:11 pm by Parisbre56 »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13427 on: April 09, 2013, 10:18:18 am »

((Um.. I think you accidentally half the notes there, Paris.))
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 10:46:04 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13428 on: April 09, 2013, 10:21:26 am »

Um.. I think you accidentally half the notes there, Paris.
((Tshhhh. Quiet. He's still editing it. Don't let him see us!

Also, Action Edited (one hour ago).))
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:02:41 am by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13429 on: April 09, 2013, 11:13:47 am »

((Done. Like the new style? Anything wrong? Anything I forgot? If there's anything you'd like me to change, send me a PM.))
Um.. I think you accidentally half the notes there, Paris.
((Tshhhh. Quiet. He's still editing it. Don't let him see us!
((Oh, don't worry, I see everything. I have the forum set up to notify me for every post posted. That way I can see all your mistakes before you edit them! That way I have a record of all of your mistakes that I can use to blackmail you! *evil maniac laughter* (I think I'm using the evil maniac laughter too much lately.)
Anyway, no, real reason I do that is because Wi-Fi coverage in my university is sporadic, so I just download my mails during a break and then view them at my leisure during a boring class.

I'll post an action soon. Hopefully.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13430 on: April 09, 2013, 11:20:17 am »

((Done. Like the new style? Anything wrong? Anything I forgot? If there's anything you'd like me to change, send me a PM.))
((Don't feel like PMing, but would still like to point out - Anton has robohands, not roboarms. And I should likewise post an action or something.))

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13431 on: April 09, 2013, 12:01:48 pm »

((Don't feel like PMing, but would still like to point out - Anton has robohands, not roboarms. And I should likewise post an action or something.))
((Done.))

"Just a bit tired, that's all. I'm not used to walking around all day."

Requesting an update on what anomalous motion zones are around us: I know one of them is the erratic movement zone (things move around on their own) and one of them is the no gravity zone.
What are the other ones? Do objects in the erratic movement zone move on all directions? Could a drone handle flying inside the no gravity zone (does it have down thrusters) or the erratic movement zone (can its thrusters respond fast enough to the changes in speed and direction)? Could I send a drone in one of those two zones and start throwing rocks while viewing their movement from the drone's camera, in order to determine where the border of the next anomalous motion zone is and what kind of effect that zone has?

Send a rock through the no gravity zone towards the sky and see if I can see its ceiling (not the sky's, the zone's). Go back to base and eat, sleep and resupply. If the team doesn't let me go back to base, just keep following them, staying a few paces back.

((EDIT: @Sean: You can always help me build that flatbed trailer for the MPV if you have nothing better to do. Or just check the proposed actions section of my notes. Lots of things there that you can do/investigate.))
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:00:22 pm by Parisbre56 »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13432 on: April 09, 2013, 01:13:30 pm »

((I was planning to do some experiments in the time/vector warp zone, as well as a very scientific experiment a-la "toss a bluerad shard into the energy-absorbent zone and see what happens". But making a trailer (and advanced control system) for the MPV would be a passable pastime, as soon as Anton becomes aware of its necessity.))

"Well, that at least makes sense. Everything here must be controlled by ALVIN. The base was in shutdown before their team got here, and went back into shutdown once they... er, left. Hm. Unusual perhaps, but not quite strange... hm."

Look through footage of the fixed cameras from between the previous team's arrival and their... departure. Look for three things specifically - the first zone storm, the events leading up to the team's boarding the shuttle, and, if existant, the footage of the planning room the last time the previous team's leader is seen in it. See if he was planning any route away from the base, or anything of the kind.

((edit: also, just noticed. "Misson"?))
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:15:51 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13433 on: April 09, 2013, 01:38:08 pm »

((Yep. The previous one said "missions 9", if you hadn't noticed. Looks like piecewise is either testing our perception or just tired. Or maybe it's some kind of joke I don't get.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13434 on: April 09, 2013, 04:19:01 pm »

Team Blue
((Done.))

"Just a bit tired, that's all. I'm not used to walking around all day."

Requesting an update on what anomalous motion zones are around us: I know one of them is the erratic movement zone (things move around on their own) and one of them is the no gravity zone.
What are the other ones? Do objects in the erratic movement zone move on all directions? Could a drone handle flying inside the no gravity zone (does it have down thrusters) or the erratic movement zone (can its thrusters respond fast enough to the changes in speed and direction)? Could I send a drone in one of those two zones and start throwing rocks while viewing their movement from the drone's camera, in order to determine where the border of the next anomalous motion zone is and what kind of effect that zone has?

Send a rock through the no gravity zone towards the sky and see if I can see its ceiling (not the sky's, the zone's). Go back to base and eat, sleep and resupply. If the team doesn't let me go back to base, just keep following them, staying a few paces back.

They're all Chaotic movement zones. Thought I updated that on the map, but must have forgotten. Updated now.

As per what I can tell you about the erratic zone, it just looks like everything inside of it is being shaken around; like if you put stones into a shoebox and shook the box. They seem to go in all directions but the thing is that they all stop and change directions at the same time. You could try to send a drone in where ever you want, but I can't tell you one way or another if it will survive.

You throw a rock into the "zero-g" zone, trying to arc it up. It doesn't fly up, instead it immediately halts it's ascent and just slides off away from you as though it's slipping between sheets of glass or ice. Further experimentation shows similar effects at other heights. The stone doesn't fall or ascend; it just slides of across an invisible horizontal plane.

You finish up your tests, flip Vich off, and then walk straight back to base, leaving the rest of the team to prevent their own progress.

((Alpha Protocol? Enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FckrbHXNtoI (3:30 - 4:15) ))

"Speaking of going back, we basically have a choice right now. We can either go back through the tunnel. We're still less than half the way through it, and after we get through it, we will stumble all the way to base, and fall asleep as soon as we get inside, extremely tired. I'm not exactly exited for this choice, because it will mean that when we continue exploring, we will have to stumble all the way back, and it will also mean that we will have to go through the entire of the anomaly.

The other choice is to go back to the other side. Assuming only me and Flint actually went it and the rest of you stayed outside, it would also be the simpler choice. We have supplies for three days, we will travel a bit from the anomaly and make camp there. In the morning, we will explore the rest of the other side of the anomaly, and then figure out a way back. Or the base could send a shuttle for it if it feels paranoid. "

Something was weird about the way Flint behaved. If he was feeling weird, why did he go into the corridor? If it was that bad, why was he continuing it. And why was he so eager to abandom them and go with Zephyris all of the sudden. Damn it, in the olden days it would have taken Vich seconds to make sense of this. Today, after years of solitude, it was that much harder.

Intuit why the Flint is behaving the way he is. Shut the fuck up about what I figure out. And stop trying to argue with Flint, it is obviously getting nowhere.

If Bishop doesn't make a decision, Vich goes back to the Bishop and Zephyria who are totally waiting at the start of the tunnel, because only Vich and Flint said they were going in. He doesn't try to overly persuade Flint to not wander off by himself, because fuck Flint. If he wants to collapse ten miles from the base, he can do it. It's been confirmed that it's not that dangerous on the way. Then everybody goes a square or two into sector 9, and unless they meet an anomaly, they make camp.

If Bishop does make a decision, he follows his decision without question. (Am I seriously the only one of my team who posted an action this turn?)

((In case someone hasn't noticed, I have another telling of my backstory in a spoiler in my previous post. Also, Bishop, you might want to accept help with the unmapped sector, because we're not going to be mapping it anytime soon.

Also, where do you live right now?)

Flint appears to have wandered off. As to what his problem is, it seems to come down to the fact that you prevented him from performing an action that he wanted to do. And now he is angry with you.

"Humans sure are complex. Glad I'm not one of them. I mean...um...Things humans say..."

Team Green

Keep on trucking mapping.
Help lars.

"What's with this place?"

map the volcanic fun zone

Mapping continues unabated! The team makes it all the way back out to the other shore of the Iron sea. Neato. In other news, it's hot as hell, no one has water or food and this place is as close to a literal hell as possible. Not even an interesting one out here on the edges; there's none of that neat, weird life shit out here to poke with non-existent sticks.

When I wake up, find some material for an eyepatch, so I don't have to keep my eye closed all the time. Then grab additional supplies, especially water, and head back out and look for the team.

Remember that Pirate vision only engages when you keep your eye closed, not when it's open. Plus you'd look straight through the eyepatch if it was active when your eye was open.

Team Red

Once the rest of the team is reasonably well rested, go to sector 4 and start mapping. Fly up and try to get an idea of the area once we reach the edge of the known area, while cycling through vision modes.

"We should start chucking rocks again once we get near the unexplored area. Lucas, if you'd be so kind?"

Head on back to base and spread the word about what I saw.

((Yes, speech roll if needed.))

Follow the leader shoot things that try to murder us

"Sure thing, boss"

Start throwing rocks around in sensible directions once we arrive at sector 4.

"By the way, you seem to pronounce my name with a 'c,' whereas it is actually pronounced with a 'k.' It's no biggie. The 'c' just makes my name sound all weird." (( ;)))

Denzel returns with tales of strange lands beyond the edge of the explored world and regales the team with descriptions of them as it moves out toward the fourth zone. They have to skirt the gravity seep to get there and even from the edge of the zone, it's clear that bad things await them. The land beyond is potmarked with craters, not unlike the one that sits outside the base, and the light is strange here; near the craters it's so distorted as to produce as rainbow effect, where gravity teases the spectrum apart.

Team Base

((I was planning to do some experiments in the time/vector warp zone, as well as a very scientific experiment a-la "toss a bluerad shard into the energy-absorbent zone and see what happens". But making a trailer (and advanced control system) for the MPV would be a passable pastime, as soon as Anton becomes aware of its necessity.))

"Well, that at least makes sense. Everything here must be controlled by ALVIN. The base was in shutdown before their team got here, and went back into shutdown once they... er, left. Hm. Unusual perhaps, but not quite strange... hm."

Look through footage of the fixed cameras from between the previous team's arrival and their... departure. Look for three things specifically - the first zone storm, the events leading up to the team's boarding the shuttle, and, if existant, the footage of the planning room the last time the previous team's leader is seen in it. See if he was planning any route away from the base, or anything of the kind.

((edit: also, just noticed. "Misson"?))
It doesn't appear as though the base has internal cameras, or at least there's no footage from them if there is. The outdoor cameras show a hard blue light surrounded by a halo  of black specks moving out of the radiation zone and toward the gravity seep, much like what happened recently. The footage cuts off as it gets close. Nothing seems terribly interesting besides that in the footage from between arrival and departure. A few people wander out along the edge of the base, look around a bit, but no one ever seems to go too far.

map

http://i.imgur.com/0NUabax.png

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13435 on: April 09, 2013, 05:30:35 pm »

"Well shit, now he's gone off on his own like an idiot." Bishop sighs with frustration and shakes his head. "Whatever, at least we have a corridor through this mess that we could use if it stays like this, so he'll just have to look after himself if he wants to come back. We're mapping the edges of the distortion on the other side, so let's keep moving."

Keep mapping around the other side of the distortions. Wonder what Red team is up to.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13436 on: April 09, 2013, 05:47:18 pm »

Follow lars.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13437 on: April 09, 2013, 06:12:53 pm »

Grab four days worth of food and water, plus some assorted sample containers and labels. Also grab some suit repair supplies.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13438 on: April 09, 2013, 06:22:18 pm »

follow lars unless doing so risks dehydration, if that is the case head back to base and grab some food and water for myself and the others then start carrying the supplies back to them.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Missile 9: Hot Potato
« Reply #13439 on: April 09, 2013, 08:31:40 pm »

Test the area with rocks to check for gravity seeps.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 894 895 [896] 897 898 ... 1256