Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3938896 times)

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 3: Breakdance your feelings away
« Reply #3660 on: June 13, 2012, 01:10:45 am »

Mesk, bored, opens a com channel transmitting to the ship and whistles the Battle Hymn of the Republic.  Then he examines the cart he's been placed on.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: June 13, 2012, 02:17:50 am »

Mesk, bored, opens a com channel transmitting to the ship and whistles the Battle Hymn of the Republic.  Then he examines the cart he's been placed on.

(([Whateverrollthatcouldapply: 6] Steve is distracted by your beautiful whistling and forgets life support on the ship for a few moments, sending the crew into panic.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: June 13, 2012, 06:40:24 am »

((Pelvic thrusting?! I don't even.))

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: June 13, 2012, 06:44:32 am »

((Your insane, it's official. You've lost your marbles and until we get back to the ship, I have no idea what you might try. Just gotta roll with it dude.))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: June 13, 2012, 07:12:53 am »

Feyri sighed with a sullen expression on her face. The timer was still ticking, as far as she knew, and by then the only thing she could do to actually communicate was through body movement.

She hated charades. It was like that one time in boot camp that involved a flute, a rubber ball and...at least she discovered her flexibility there.

Nevertheless, those memories were for another time, in a better place. Her mind was muddled with recent events, including her dream and the surreality of the ferryman.

She jumped at the hand that clasped around her shoulder and turned to see Jim - a body and arm. At least someone didn't see her as completely insane by just what happened, judging by the way he patted her shoulder.

Well, at least someone cared. And it was time she did the same for her comrades

Search the fourth floor for anything that could strap Charro's body onto mine for a carry-support.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: June 13, 2012, 07:34:49 am »

It was like that one time in boot camp that involved a flute, a rubber ball and...at least she discovered her flexibility there.
((You do realize this only makes things even worse for Feyri, right? It leaves too much room for imagination.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: June 13, 2012, 07:37:38 am »

It was like that one time in boot camp that involved a flute, a rubber ball and...at least she discovered her flexibility there.
((You do realize this only makes things even worse for Feyri, right? It leaves too much room for imagination.))
((Plot device: Enabled.  :P I would just love to wonder what you think, Caellath. Also, that would be up to the reader's derision. She didn't...actually put it down in notes, not that the second diary entry matters or somewhat.))
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 08:08:22 am by Tiruin »

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: June 13, 2012, 11:51:58 am »

(([Whateverrollthatcouldapply: 6] Steve is distracted by your beautiful whistling and forgets life support on the ship for a few moments, sending the crew into panic.))
(I believe that's intelligence.  And yes, I'm kind of hoping that's what's going to happen :P

Tiruin: "This one time, in boot camp...")

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: June 13, 2012, 12:12:40 pm »

((It makes you wonder what a female mecenary can do with a flute and a rubber ball by using her flexibility.

...Oh wow. Now Jim will be sad for losing his body.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3669 on: June 13, 2012, 01:19:38 pm »

(Start there, then go upstairs to manufacturing if I don't find anything. I believe Tiruin rolled a 1, so it's possible Feyri just didn't see anything.)
You look around the room for some sort of large piece of sheet metal or something. Unsurprisingly, there are no large chunks of scrap metal just laying around in the control room.

You continue up to the 4th floor Manufacturing room and find several large, flat pieces of metal. You select a nice, thick, sturdy looking one and drag it all the way back out to the elevator shaft.

"What... I don't even..."

She's definately lost it. He was sure of that now. If she was unstable before, she's definately gone over the edge since then. Bishop shrugged helplessly and decided to just go with it and focus on other things. Since Charro was now dead, he wasn't going to need those things of his, and he wouldn't trust either Jim or Feyri with Charro's gear, and Mesk was crippled, so he figured he might as well take a look at what he picked up.

Search Charro's body for stuff, making sure to eject the laser rifle battery, and then take everything he's got. Make sure to also take the chips that he's collected from the datapad's he's found and have a quick look at each of them.
You immediately start looting Charro's corpse, stealing his rifle, his extra batteries, his scout eye and his collected data chips and pads.

Almost all the data you find on him is either uninteresting or things you've seen or heard before, however there is one chip that you find hidden in a book that he's carrying that is quite interesting. The chip is the secret journal of the project lead and details many of circumstances of the project.

The project centered around the examination of a physics anomaly called a Dirac sea, affectionately coined "The Puddle" because of it's small outer size. For years they struggled to find a way to penetrate the depths of The Puddle but they eventually succeeded.  Inside the puddle they discovered an area roughly 1 x 10 to the 12th kilometers cubed, inhabited by a form of life entirely different from anything found outside the puddle. The lead describes it as:
"We had no idea how apt a name "the puddle" was before we found a way into it's confines. Though sight and indeed any of our senses are meaningless there, I imagine that if we could see what lurks beyond, it would be like looking into a droplet of seawater, a great fluid, gravityless environment of slowly swimming creatures. Some are miniscule, while others may be larger then this entire planet, and all exist in ways that are difficult to comprehend, let alone explain. We see them like one might observe particles in a particle accelerator, a mass of obtuse data and measurements that is incomprehensible to anyone outside the project. Unfortunately our military backers don't care for such things; they want things they can see, things with palpable weight and self-evident use. If it weren't for men like us, I feel that men like them would still be beating each other with clubs, because something so immaterial as the atom would earn their primitive respect.

None the less, we need their funding and their resources to continue, so now we are working on some way to bring one of those entities from the puddle into this environment and make it detectable by the crude instruments evolution has equipped us with. My greatest fear is that the specimen will be unable to survive in our world, like a deep sea fish plucked from the depths and thrown upon the shore."

The rest of the entries concern this task of attempting to capture a "worm", their name for one of the smaller denizens of the puddle. It seems that they succeeded and managed to capture a worm. According to the final entries, the worm exists in this space as "an audio signal of unknown capacity and probable partial sentience." The scientists have been listening to it repeatedly.

You're in the middle of examining the cart when you're rather harshly electrocuted for whistling at Steve for several minutes.

Feyri sighed with a sullen expression on her face. The timer was still ticking, as far as she knew, and by then the only thing she could do to actually communicate was through body movement.

She hated charades. It was like that one time in boot camp that involved a flute, a rubber ball and...at least she discovered her flexibility there.

Nevertheless, those memories were for another time, in a better place. Her mind was muddled with recent events, including her dream and the surreality of the ferryman.

She jumped at the hand that clasped around her shoulder and turned to see Jim - a body and arm. At least someone didn't see her as completely insane by just what happened, judging by the way he patted her shoulder.

Well, at least someone cared. And it was time she did the same for her comrades

Search the fourth floor for anything that could strap Charro's body onto mine for a carry-support.

You follow jim upstairs and take a look around the manufacturing room. As Jim drags a big chunk of metal away you find a nice big spool of cable. That should work.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: June 13, 2012, 01:37:31 pm »

Feyri rattled the spool of cable, making sure it's integrity was just as it should be, even if it didn't give off any sound in the vacuum. She tapped Jim's torso and indicated the cable to the sheet.

Return to team.

"I wonder how Bishop is doing?" She pointed in Bishop's general direction along with accompanying benign gestures to describe him and her thoughts about him.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: June 13, 2012, 02:17:07 pm »

"Aaaaaarrgghhey, I think my legs twitched!"
Continue examining the cart.  Determine if I can push or wheel myself around.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: June 13, 2012, 02:22:24 pm »

Hmm... Typical eggheads... Concerned about the smaller, and at at times more important, things and are forced to fill the demands of the military. One of the things that was wrong about the current system they all ser-

Wait. Audio signal? Could it be...

And then it clicked.

"OH MY GOD, THEY HAVE BRAINWORMS!"

Now he understood why there was a lone dead man by the transmitter. He had been about to send a message when he realised that he couldn't without possibly releasing the worm into the cosmos and infecting everyone that heard it. So he shut down the transmitter to help contain the thing and killed himself so the thing wouldn't try to trick him into reactivating it.

Another flash of insight slammed into Bishop at that moment. Feyri and Jim had been acting odd and Jim's brain had biological anomalies. The worm had literally got inside his brain and was using him as a puppet, and doutlessly he had spread the disease to Feyri when they were alone. It also explained how Feyri, a technological disaster on legs, had somehow manipulated the machine and inserted a probe into The Puddle, which was also known as the Dirac Sea he had seen referenced on the main network. The thing either wanted to go back or, god forbid, wanted to get it's friends out too.

He had to do something, but first he needed to talk with a certain mission controlling computer. Bringing up his radio menu and making a private channel to Steve again, he sent the correct pulse sequence that he specified last time he spoke to the machine and then after a pause after the message, he began speaking.

"I hope for all our sakes that you've been blocking those signals like I asked you to do, cause shit has gotten real serious. I've found files on what the hell these guys were doing down here, and to be frank with you, the result is terrifying.

They've tapped into a space that's a lot bigger on the inside and in a different dimension or something, but the important thing is that this place is chock full of critters that are outside our perception. It seems like the military wanted something to use as a weapon, of course, so the scientists caught a worm of sorts and gave it a form that we can percieve, that of a audio signal that's alive and by what I've seen, intelligent.  IT'S A NOISE THAT'S ALIVE. Its also the same signal that infected your systems when Jim and I sent you the files on the transmitter, which means that it is compatable with computer systems.

The scientists have been listening to the damn thing ever since they caught it, and it drove them all nuts. Remember the anomalies in Jim's brain? I think that somehow, it morphs the brain to it's own use and then, from what I've seen, can fully control the movements and senses of it's victim. That's how Feyri activated that machine on the bottom level by herself, even though she can't tell whats a computer and a shoe, she didn't know how to do it but the worm did since it came from the thing in the first place. No wonder that you guys want this, it's devestating and effective in an atmosphere that can carry sound or can infect equipment and transmit across radios if given a way in. It's also very capable of killing everything in the universe through radio waves, which is why the quarrantine happened."

Bishop was silent for a moment, feeling the nerves inside him, but he managed to continue reguardless.

"As for the mission, I can still get it done. I've managed to fix the elevator so I can get the HDDSM as well as anyone dead, unconcious or crippled, like Mesk for example, back to the ship as soon as the floor in it is fixed and I'm still downloading the files but by the time this reaches you, it shouldn't take much longer to finish. I can shutdown the machine, and possibly destroy the damn disc, but some advice on what to do would be nice. Also, what's going to happen here after we leave? You gonna bomb the shit out of this place?"

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3673 on: June 13, 2012, 02:52:20 pm »

Feyri rattled the spool of cable, making sure it's integrity was just as it should be, even if it didn't give off any sound in the vacuum. She tapped Jim's torso and indicated the cable to the sheet.

Return to team.

"I wonder how Bishop is doing?" She pointed in Bishop's general direction along with accompanying benign gestures to describe him and her thoughts about him.
Did you want to, I dunno, take some cable from the spool? Or just return to the team empty handed? Also, I assume you mean "return to Bishop" since Jim is just idling with his metal by the elevator shaft, Mesk is also on the 4th floor and Bishop is the only one downstairs.

"Aaaaaarrgghhey, I think my legs twitched!"
Continue examining the cart.  Determine if I can push or wheel myself around.
The cart looks like this.
If you flip yourself around onto your stomach then you could probably push yourself around.

Hmm... Typical eggheads... Concerned about the smaller, and at at times more important, things and are forced to fill the demands of the military. One of the things that was wrong about the current system they all ser-

Wait. Audio signal? Could it be...

And then it clicked.

"OH MY GOD, THEY HAVE BRAINWORMS!"

Now he understood why there was a lone dead man by the transmitter. He had been about to send a message when he realised that he couldn't without possibly releasing the worm into the cosmos and infecting everyone that heard it. So he shut down the transmitter to help contain the thing and killed himself so the thing wouldn't try to trick him into reactivating it.

Another flash of insight slammed into Bishop at that moment. Feyri and Jim had been acting odd and Jim's brain had biological anomalies. The worm had literally got inside his brain and was using him as a puppet, and doutlessly he had spread the disease to Feyri when they were alone. It also explained how Feyri, a technological disaster on legs, had somehow manipulated the machine and inserted a probe into The Puddle, which was also known as the Dirac Sea he had seen referenced on the main network. The thing either wanted to go back or, god forbid, wanted to get it's friends out too.

He had to do something, but first he needed to talk with a certain mission controlling computer. Bringing up his radio menu and making a private channel to Steve again, he sent the correct pulse sequence that he specified last time he spoke to the machine and then after a pause after the message, he began speaking.

"I hope for all our sakes that you've been blocking those signals like I asked you to do, cause shit has gotten real serious. I've found files on what the hell these guys were doing down here, and to be frank with you, the result is terrifying.

They've tapped into a space that's a lot bigger on the inside and in a different dimension or something, but the important thing is that this place is chock full of critters that are outside our perception. It seems like the military wanted something to use as a weapon, of course, so the scientists caught a worm of sorts and gave it a form that we can percieve, that of a audio signal that's alive and by what I've seen, intelligent.  IT'S A NOISE THAT'S ALIVE. Its also the same signal that infected your systems when Jim and I sent you the files on the transmitter, which means that it is compatable with computer systems.

The scientists have been listening to the damn thing ever since they caught it, and it drove them all nuts. Remember the anomalies in Jim's brain? I think that somehow, it morphs the brain to it's own use and then, from what I've seen, can fully control the movements and senses of it's victim. That's how Feyri activated that machine on the bottom level by herself, even though she can't tell whats a computer and a shoe, she didn't know how to do it but the worm did since it came from the thing in the first place. No wonder that you guys want this, it's devestating and effective in an atmosphere that can carry sound or can infect equipment and transmit across radios if given a way in. It's also very capable of killing everything in the universe through radio waves, which is why the quarrantine happened."

Bishop was silent for a moment, feeling the nerves inside him, but he managed to continue reguardless.

"As for the mission, I can still get it done. I've managed to fix the elevator so I can get the HDDSM as well as anyone dead, unconcious or crippled, like Mesk for example, back to the ship as soon as the floor in it is fixed and I'm still downloading the files but by the time this reaches you, it shouldn't take much longer to finish. I can shutdown the machine, and possibly destroy the damn disc, but some advice on what to do would be nice. Also, what's going to happen here after we leave? You gonna bomb the shit out of this place?"

> Ah, Well thats problematic eh? Can't have something like that getting out. One moment please. Ok, done. I've fired a few rounds from our Gauss cannons. They're going about 8% the speed of light so you've got...oh an hour or so to get your shit done and get out before the moon you're on becomes gravel.  Good luck!

Your wrist pad beeps. 100%.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 3: The Final Countdown.
« Reply #3674 on: June 13, 2012, 04:34:59 pm »

Jim attempted to fuse the sheet metal to the elevator to serve as a floor with his amp. If it failed, he could always just grab another piece of metal, after all...

EDIT: If necessary, call elevator to this floor first.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:42:48 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 1256