Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3944759 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

>Keep an eye out for any movement in the dark, laser rifle at the ready.

Charro sounded a bit impatient. "Look, we came down here to turn the power on, right? The sooner we shed some light on the subject, the sooner we can work out what happened here, grab as much data as we can and get the hell out."
He looked at Jim for a moment, with a slight frown. "...Now that I think of it, if we're going to be bringing a lot of possibly dangerous electronic data back to the ship, we'll probably need something other than Jim here to save it on, right? Anyone got any ideas?"
>Examine scout eye, determine whether it has any memory storage or recording function. If so, open the thing up and try to convert it into some sort of makeshift flash drive.
"It only cost one token after all, can't hurt to try, right?"

((Edit: Hmm, would the above action require an auxiliary skill check or a handiwork one? I hope it's the former. :P))
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 08:58:37 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

((I can't try to do anything out of out of character anymore? D:

I only did that to Toaster and SC...
Oh, you want one too, Cael? :3))

Feyri turned towards Charro after casting the message. "Erm, yeah. About those Scout Eyes. Fragile-as-glass eyeballs, useless on anything harder than talc.

Should've warned you about them, having firsthand experience. Though good idea, save the transponder circuit!"

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((I can't try to do anything out of out of character anymore? D:

I only did that to Toaster and SC...
Oh, you want one too, Cael? :3))
((Nope, and I guess it is assumed and implied you were supplied with data storage devices. There is no need to ravage the scout eye, which by the way is actually very good at breaking the ribs of useless medics.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile

"We have datapads, flashdrives and our wrist computers if we need to store digital information. The problem is that the computers need power if they are going to work, and if we are dealing with rogue AI, then that's where the problem lies."

Bishop frowned and shook his head slowly.

"I've delt with rogue AI's twice before when I was in the army, and only on a minor scale when they got ideas about taking over various systems. They are hard to pin down, and harder still to completely destroy or detect, since they can always switch to another connected platform or system. It would explain the lack of power, which would cripple an AI in a place like this."

He then turns to Feyri and nods.

"Yeah, those things are basically flying tin cans with a camera strapped on. Good idea about asking the computer about this place, cause if anyone knows what was going on here, it's the thing that sent us here in the first place. Computer, what was this base being used for exactly? What should we expect to find down here?"

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Feyri's expression turned to one of concern and speculation. "We can't pin a rogue AI, actually. Maybe a telepathic being? The map says observation overlooks the chamber below it, probably where their experiment was. We may get info documents in the scientist labs. Probably extra weapons and ammo, too, in their security bays or personal lockers, if any.

Hm, maybe supernatural presence? Xenos, right? A portal to the unknown? We won't be receiving reinforcements so we must make this count."
She made sure not to scare Charro with her last paragraph by saying it in the most serene voice she could muster.

Probably wouldn't help.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile

"I'm liking the AI theory, personally.  It seems to make sense with what we've seen.  Let's keep the speculation down, though, it could be something we're utterly unprepared for.
"Also please don't break my ribs."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

"I'll have a look, but don't get your hopes up. I'm an engineer, not a code monkey."

Check to see if I can just power up the lights without anything else. Also check to see if I can do the same for the doors.
[aux:5] The generator looks like it can route power to specific floors, but nothing more exact then that.

((Just came across the OP again: "All weapons come with 1 magazine/battery of ammunition." So it means I have a loaded Laser Rifle and an extra 'ammo clip' then?))

"Hey, is Steve alright? We had no response to him for about a while, and I know he responds to anything we ask, even through snark.

Much snark. "
She remembered the 'Attachment song' that was played when she '[WOUNDED]' her leg in the first mission. Feyri stifled a shudder at how annoying and humorously tormenting it was.

"Bah, I'll do it."

"This is Feyri Nirel, Steve. Do you have knowledge of the security systems of this area? Automaton Guards, electric traps, airlocked doors, red self-destruct button with an ominous female voice...you know? The usual. And an emphasis on the automatons, mechanical guardians aren't a happy sight."
She fingered the handle of her Tesla Sabre. She hoped they did conduct electricity well.

Wait, there was Jim. She made a mental note to keep the blade away from him at all times, including the others.

Ask Steve the above.

Then High-five Jim for apparently no reason. With my free hand.

(It comes loaded with one when you first buy it. You've used that one up on the first mission. )
>There's nothing about automated defenses in the records I have. This was a science base after all, quarantine is about as extreme as their measures usually get.

This news excites you so much that you feel the need to high-five jim. [dex:1] You rush forward and scream "HIGH FIVE!" into the radio before slapping Jim upside the head.

((@Tiruin: Why are your characters high-fiving people for no reason?
Also GM, does the team have a time limit this time? I may have forgot it.))
There was no stated time limit, so no. Unless they do something to cause one that is.

>Keep an eye out for any movement in the dark, laser rifle at the ready.

Charro sounded a bit impatient. "Look, we came down here to turn the power on, right? The sooner we shed some light on the subject, the sooner we can work out what happened here, grab as much data as we can and get the hell out."
He looked at Jim for a moment, with a slight frown. "...Now that I think of it, if we're going to be bringing a lot of possibly dangerous electronic data back to the ship, we'll probably need something other than Jim here to save it on, right? Anyone got any ideas?"
>Examine scout eye, determine whether it has any memory storage or recording function. If so, open the thing up and try to convert it into some sort of makeshift flash drive.
"It only cost one token after all, can't hurt to try, right?"

((Edit: Hmm, would the above action require an auxiliary skill check or a handiwork one? I hope it's the former. :P))
[Aux:4] It looks like the scouteye can record data, and that it does it automatically, recording whatever the system sees. However, repurposing the memory to be a flash drive would require not only the proper connector but also disassembling the scout eye.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile

Bishop sighed. This had the potential to get real ugly, real fast.

"Alright, listen up. The best I can do with this thing is to provide power one floor at a time. I can't just power the lights by themselves, it's everything on the floor or nothing. With that in mind, I say we work our way down and if anything so much as twitches at us..."

He promptly slapped his laser rifle by his side.

"... we fry it to kingdom come. Unless I hear suitable objections, I'm starting with the floor above us, and we'll work our way down. If you got anything to say against that, now is the time."

Ask Steve what the base was working on while waiting for a concensus.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

"That's fine with me. Feyri, Mesk, Charro?"
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Bishop sighed. This had the potential to get real ugly, real fast.

"Alright, listen up. The best I can do with this thing is to provide power one floor at a time. I can't just power the lights by themselves, it's everything on the floor or nothing. With that in mind, I say we work our way down and if anything so much as twitches at us..."

He promptly slapped his laser rifle by his side.

"... we fry it to kingdom come. Unless I hear suitable objections, I'm starting with the floor above us, and we'll work our way down. If you got anything to say against that, now is the time."

Ask Steve what the base was working on while waiting for a concensus.
>I have very little info about what they were doing exactly, just code words. judging by the data I do have though, it was something to do with rather eclectic physics.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Charro shrugged, placing the scout eye back onto a clip on his suit. "Suits me."
Get ready to roll. Some more.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile

"Sounds good to me.  Same marching order as before, right?"
Move with the group.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile

"Majority rules then. Let's get it done."

Activate power for the second floor, then head upstairs with the group.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

Jim leads back to the second floor, as is standard.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

"Majority rules then. Let's get it done."

Activate power for the second floor, then head upstairs with the group.
You flip a switch to activate the generator control panel's battery backups and then begin typing.
>Activate
>Power route
1:false
2:true
3:false
4:false
5:false
6:false
>Execute

The generator starts and fills the room with a low vibration and the monitors on the control panel light up one by one, each showing a different read out of how the system is operating. One of the screens begins rapidly listing off things.

>Life support compromised
>Main door open
>Elevator doors 1-2-3 damaged
>Initiating emergency repressurization and temperature equalization.
>Main door closing
>Closed
>Repressurizing
>Complete
>Temperature: Nominal

The room is suddenly filled with bursts of gas vents in the wall, atmosphere rapidly being pumped back into the room while the base heats itself back to a livable temperature. Within a few moments the pressure equalizes and everything is quiet; not the silence of vacuum, simply quiet. Your own footsteps seem shockingly loud now.

>The team
Everyone heads back upstairs, taking the ladder all the way back to the second floor and through the melted doors. You return to the once dark crossroads, now almost blindingly lit by recessed lights running along the corners of the room. Everything is quiet and still.

Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 1256