Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975541 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #4470 on: October 14, 2013, 07:16:12 pm »

We could use mystcraft to generate two island worlds with limited space and resources that could act as each teams homeworld. Right at the spawn point have one way portals going to their bases so that new people don't have to wander around too much to find their team, but then have portals linking the teams world to two different, separate parts of the overworld, making finding the other teams portal another challenge. Island worlds don't have a lot of room and certainly not much resources, so there would be good reason to have to go out into the overworld for everything you need. Make the realms eternal day and not only would it feel more friendly, but also prevent a lot of mobs spawning, meaning you can only get all those zombie brains and magic levels outside. For the servers sake I would add a "no writing ages" rule. Keeps things from getting too out of hand.

You could also use a server plugin to give build protection over the entire island to the team. That way when nobody else is online somebody can't sneak in and destroy everything in a single night unchallenged. Give both teams access to some traps (Torch Levers is good) and they can effectively defend themselves while offline, and raiding becomes a lot more interesting than just run in and blast shit. You would need an honesty rule that you can't just lock yourself in and use wool blocks for doors that you tear down and put back to get through, but it would make things pretty interesting actually having to deal with any cunning traps set out.

I know Thaumcraft has a door that only opens for you, and that is a little close to impossible turtle defense, but if you used it for anything important it would lock your entire team out, so not that great really.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: October 14, 2013, 07:20:59 pm »

Think the Meteors mod I linked to would be a good asset to the Muggle faction?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: October 14, 2013, 07:25:07 pm »

Don't know, I've never used it. Maybe, depends on just how much ore you can get.
If these things are very common then you could have a situation where people are getting stormed by knights in super armor before they have even really started their mod, but if they are very rare it won't make much difference and they will get trounced.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: October 14, 2013, 07:34:39 pm »

Don't know, I've never used it. Maybe, depends on just how much ore you can get.
If these things are very common then you could have a situation where people are getting stormed by knights in super armor before they have even really started their mod, but if they are very rare it won't make much difference and they will get trounced.
I think the rarity can be configurable.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: October 14, 2013, 07:41:20 pm »

Seems doable then.
Although not sure if would have a muggle team, Forsaken liked the idea of two teams, I guess that is easier to manage and balance, but I would defiantly add that to the list of potential mods. Mining out meteors as they fall seems like an interesting team activity.
Heck you could give both teams access to it, thus when one falls and both teams show up to dig it out you get some interesting conflicts.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: October 14, 2013, 07:42:52 pm »

I'm pretty sure Ars would curbstomp TC4 in a straight fight. Ars gets going faster and has to invest less in destroying everything.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: October 14, 2013, 07:45:22 pm »

# How much the damage in Ars Magica is scaled.
    D:DamageMultiplier=0.5

# Sets how far a player may progress into secondary skill trees.
    I:SecondarySkillTreeTierCap=3
And there you have it, the edge taken off Ars Magica. It would also encourage teamwork when you need to choose between offensive, defensive and supportive magic.

Or you know if we are really worried about balance we could just have two teams and give them access to all mods, but still have the team PvP going. Easiest to keep even and everybody gets to enjoy their preferred magics.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: October 15, 2013, 04:57:56 am »

Make them land near-ish Thaum territory, rather than randomly or near Tech territory.

Perhaps, if such a thing is possible, also have advanced magic require raiding Tech territory for an important component/resource. Mutated/irradiated flowers maybe?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4478 on: October 15, 2013, 05:07:08 am »

I would totally be up for a team-based PVP server using magic based mods.

Two 'home base' worlds which are floating islands with one-way portals from spawn for new players. Islands are protected as you suggested so that only the registered members of that team can make any changes there.

What would be the objective though? Some kind of capture the flag system? Control of territory? It would be pretty easy to put a boundary around the world to limit the overworld to a certain distance from spawn as well.

Hm, I'll think on this.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: October 15, 2013, 05:17:50 am »

It would be pretty easy to put a boundary around the world to limit the overworld to a certain distance from spawn as well.

Hm, I'll think on this.

Problem with that is limited access to certain important features of some mods, such as ThaumCraft nodes.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: October 15, 2013, 05:23:19 am »

What would be the objective though? Some kind of capture the flag system? Control of territory? It would be pretty easy to put a boundary around the world to limit the overworld to a certain distance from spawn as well.

Hm, I'll think on this.

Actually... If we did put in the meteor mod the score could be based off who can capture the most meteor ore. Apparently within the mod there are tracking devices so you know where and when the next will fall, meaning there will almost certainly be friction when everybody shows up with picks in one hand and wands in the other.

Problem with that is limited access to certain important features of some mods, such as ThaumCraft nodes.
Yea, that is possible. Assuming we had a largish area (Say the size of a single large map) that wouldn't be much of problem, but then the two groups are less likely to run into each other. Once again that meteor mining idea helps here. Still, the possibility for some things to just not be there (Can't find the right node, no water biome, something else) is another reason why giving everybody access to all magic just makes this easier for all involved. There is a fallback mod when one doesn't work. Also less chance of people cheating, as one less rule to break.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: October 15, 2013, 05:25:59 am »

You should get hold of a mod which adds factions, however how would we recognize eachother's team?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: October 15, 2013, 05:38:36 am »

We could change our skins to be dressed in team color I guess.
Actually, with mystcraft you can specify the color of the grass, leaves, water and sky of an age, so we could have a red team with a red homeworld and similarly a blue team with blue homeworld.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4483 on: October 15, 2013, 05:39:54 am »

I think he meant while you are out in the overworld. Is there a mod that changes the color of people's name by faction?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: October 15, 2013, 05:42:42 am »

Hmm, well I'm not a server guy but I know there are some pretty advances bukkit server plugins out there, many involving factions. I'll see what I can dig up...

EDIT: Well this will let you change player name tag color.
Another that seems to do the same thing but easier to use. It will also let you add a prefix in front of names, so it would be easy to tell who is on what team from the prefix.
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 326