Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975604 times)

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #3840 on: April 02, 2013, 08:35:12 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:59:02 pm by Bronimin »

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: April 02, 2013, 08:41:46 pm »

Started playing the FTB ultimate pack about a week ago, and I'm loving it as much as I loved the Beta pack a few months ago. I like that many of the really useful items are much, much harder to make now, thanks to the gregtech recipes. I went from using generators to ultimate hybrid panels in about two weeks in the beta pack, and now I've just built my first basic panel. I've been using a complicated system of buildcraft pipes, pumps and liquid transposers to automate a watermill with bucket water. Very reliably provides 1EU/t without the need for any complex machines.

Anyway, I have a few questions for you all.

First, oil seems very rare for some reason. Is it just me, or did some mod make oil geysers less likely to spawn?
Second, does making a railroad using railcraft serve any practical purpose? It feels like It'd be cheaper and easier to just use a jetpack and wait until I can get a portal gun if I want to move long distances.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 08:45:16 pm by Azated »
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: April 02, 2013, 09:03:09 pm »

Oil mostly spawns in oceans and deserts. Like real life.
Railroads are really more for advanced item transportation or the like. That said, high speed rails make for absolutely amazing frequent commutes.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: April 02, 2013, 09:21:49 pm »

Hate to break it to you, but oil doesn't just occur in oceans and deserts in real life... in fact, the current state of the surface of an area doesn't really have all that much to do with whether there's oil underground or not. It's what the area was like millions of years ago that determines that, and any given area could be vastly different, the same, or have not existed at all back then.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: April 02, 2013, 09:41:27 pm »

I said mostly, not only.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3845 on: April 03, 2013, 05:59:41 am »

Second, does making a railroad using railcraft serve any practical purpose? It feels like It'd be cheaper and easier to just use a jetpack and wait until I can get a portal gun if I want to move long distances.
Well, carts can transfer items and liquids and do other automated tasks with steve's carts mod. Really though its personal preference. The railcraft mod isn't balanced against mods that let you fly and teleport.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #3846 on: April 03, 2013, 06:08:23 am »

I find its also much more fun to build a transcontinental railroad to move stuff than go 'lol, teleport' and warp it to your base.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3847 on: April 03, 2013, 06:12:13 am »

I find its also much more fun to build a transcontinental railroad to move stuff than go 'lol, teleport' and warp it to your base.
Agreed. I've been using rails for item transport as well recently simply because they look cool.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: April 03, 2013, 06:28:32 am »

For those wondering, apparently, 1.5 was an absolute bitch of a rewrite. It will probably be another little while before everybody's favorite mods are updated.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3849 on: April 03, 2013, 06:29:28 am »

This site is handy for tracking when various mods are updated.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1210470

He checks at least once a day, or so he says.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3850 on: April 03, 2013, 09:33:22 am »

Hate to break it to you, but oil doesn't just occur in oceans and deserts in real life... in fact, the current state of the surface of an area doesn't really have all that much to do with whether there's oil underground or not. It's what the area was like millions of years ago that determines that, and any given area could be vastly different, the same, or have not existed at all back then.

It's very possible that it's just coincidence that oceans and deserts have oil. Especially the former, seeing that just by simple uniform distribution, 75% of oil would lie in the seas. XD Of course, oil isn't uniformly distributed.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: April 03, 2013, 09:55:15 am »

How do you play: survival or creative mode?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: April 03, 2013, 10:24:03 am »

Agreed. I've been using rails for item transport as well recently simply because they look cool.
Does that work over long distances now? I remember there was a problem with some pipe mod because when the items being transported left the current chunk, they simply dropped out of the pipe and eventually despawned.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: April 03, 2013, 02:32:49 pm »

If using pipes you'd need to chunk load it all (I think). With railcraft you can connect a world anchor cart to any carts that would otherwise be travelling through unloaded chunks.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: April 03, 2013, 03:16:10 pm »

Does that work over long distances now? I remember there was a problem with some pipe mod because when the items being transported left the current chunk, they simply dropped out of the pipe and eventually despawned.

That's one of the problems I was worried about, although the chunk loader card seems to fix that problem completely. Looks like my world may be getting a rail system after all.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 326