Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 974956 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #3135 on: October 15, 2012, 09:36:27 pm »

It's funny that the topic happens to be stupid copyrights and modders on Minecraft, because me and this other guy made a couple posts on the Better Than Wolves topic about the silly copyrights we see all over and not an hour later both our posts were canned without a peep from any mods or players :P

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3136 on: October 15, 2012, 09:43:34 pm »

Well yeah, its not fair. To have sway over what happens to your mod the mod has to matter of course. Its just how life works though honestly people try to mod her mod because it is popular so maybe the sites would be willing to listen to small modders but it has just never come up. I don't know of a single example where a small time mod was modded by someone else and the original modder minded though that may just be my inexperience with less popular mods.
But people SHOULDN'T have that influence, flat out. After all, what about the people who make the addons to mods? Aren't they doing the same things that modders are doing? So why should they be treated differently from a direct modder?

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3137 on: October 15, 2012, 09:51:00 pm »

Then how do you suggest the forums deal with it?
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: October 15, 2012, 11:53:37 pm »

By not giving a shit? By not feeding the entitlement complex the modders there have? We have derivative works here and we're flattered.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3139 on: October 16, 2012, 04:28:55 pm »

By not giving a shit? By not feeding the entitlement complex the modders there have? We have derivative works here and we're flattered.
I was trying to find a way to put that in words, yea.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: October 16, 2012, 05:28:17 pm »

I was trying to find a way to put that in words, yea.
oh, also removing that stickeyed 'standard copyright' thingy at the top of the MC modding section.
I agree with this one. I just had a look at it and, while I'm not a lawyer, it doesn't mean I can't smell bullshit.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: October 16, 2012, 08:52:38 pm »

Seriously? They have that? That carp is upcopyrightable, why in the world would the moderators DELIBERATELY sabotage their own community by feeding the entitlement complex? They should ban for those false notices (with warnings, of course), not make templates for them!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: October 16, 2012, 09:19:52 pm »

Seriously? They have that?
Unfortunately, they do. It was a normal user that made the thread but the mods stickied it.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: October 18, 2012, 10:28:45 am »

Remember, we are talking about the minecraft community. Many people place it right after /b/ (note many people, i haven't been to 4chan nor /b/). The mods are shitty and the admins sold out.
Most people on there think they're funny but aren't, mainly because they are 12 years old.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Idranel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: October 18, 2012, 01:54:15 pm »

The easy solution would be to require all minecraft modifications (not minecraft itself) to be released under sane licensing schemes.
Once everyone has to release their stuff under GPL or similiar copy-left license the whole problem is gone.

When everything is available for derivative works (which is the only sane way of handling game mods made by the community !) a lot of things will become very easy.
Forking of stuff will happen more often and something like a public mod package system would not fail due to licensing and copyright issues.
It would also lower the barriers for people to contribute to existing projects.

Edit: Also those nice people who resort to sabotage to prevent certain software/mods from interacting with their mods should receive daily pizza pranks until they understood the message.

Remember, we are talking about the minecraft community. Many people place it right after /b/ (note many people, i haven't been to 4chan nor /b/). The mods are shitty and the admins sold out.
Most people on there think they're funny but aren't, mainly because they are 12 years old.
12 years old is, I think, the upper bound.

At some point the game became incredibly popular with the wrong crowd. Before that happend the community was pretty ok, but then it turned into crap at superluminal speeds.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 01:58:15 pm by Idranel »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: October 18, 2012, 10:37:36 pm »

Blutricity to BC power converter is confirmed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Apparently this is the only one right now so no IC2 conversion yet.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: October 18, 2012, 10:54:45 pm »

12 years old is, I think, the upper bound.

At some point the game became incredibly popular with the wrong crowd. Before that happend the community was pretty ok, but then it turned into crap at superluminal speeds.

I was a mod on those forums!

It was always this terrible, just in different ways. Back then we didn't really have modding. We primarily made fools of ourselves over servers and slander of said servers. Any time I could knock down a few-dozen reports of interpersonal hissy fits that always has some drawn out story was welcome. There always seemed to be a bias towards owners of things, so you could not really say negative things about a server in their thread.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: October 18, 2012, 11:22:58 pm »

Using the past tense isn't helping make it sound any better, but I quite doubt that was your intention anyway, Duke.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: October 19, 2012, 03:28:38 am »

Blutricity to BC power converter is confirmed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Apparently this is the only one right now so no IC2 conversion yet.

What a fucking hypocrite. I hope ude from BC whoops her ass just because she whooped that other guys ass for doing that mod.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: October 19, 2012, 03:34:37 am »

What a fucking hypocrite. I hope ude from BC whoops her ass just because she whooped that other guys ass for doing that mod.
I'm confused as to why you think she's a hypocrite. From the start the reason she didn't want immibis' version online is because she had plans for her own version.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 326