Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975078 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #3075 on: October 13, 2012, 12:01:55 pm »

That looks remarkably similar to the BTW sails. As in, it looks exactly like the BTW windmill sails in a different configuration.
You are saying a wooden windmill using wool looks like another wooden windmill using wool? What are the chances?

I just hope when a sane person starts working on a mechanical energy system mod that is compatible with anything nobody will throw a fit over their axles.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #3076 on: October 13, 2012, 12:02:54 pm »

That looks remarkably similar to the BTW sails. As in, it looks exactly like the BTW windmill sails in a different configuration.
nobody will throw a fit over their axles.
Hah.

Haha.
Ahahaha.
Hahahahahahahahaha.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3077 on: October 13, 2012, 12:08:16 pm »

I just hope when a sane person starts working on a mechanical energy system mod that is compatible with anything
   Dude, people have made compatible energy system mods. RP2 bluetricity was in it so the mod was smacked down because no one but no one is allowed to mess with bluetricity.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: October 13, 2012, 12:20:38 pm »

I just hope when a sane person starts working on a mechanical energy system mod that is compatible with anything
   Dude, people have made compatible energy system mods. RP2 bluetricity was in it so the mod was smacked down because no one but no one is allowed to mess with bluetricity.
How come what stopping some one from making one?
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: October 13, 2012, 12:27:22 pm »

Mod maker flipping out over rights that they don't have.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: October 13, 2012, 12:29:19 pm »

Eloraam is what's stopping people from making one. "I may, at some point in the future, include feature x. Therefore I will actively prevent anyone else from doing x until my version is released at some indeterminate point in the future if I actually release it at all."

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: October 13, 2012, 12:30:49 pm »

Yep. Because apparently it's worth it making fans of your mod suffer just so that your personal implementation of a feature is not seen as inferior.
My cabbages!

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: October 13, 2012, 12:33:02 pm »

So nothing really stopping someone beside being nice you could just tell them to f-off and make it anyways.

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: October 13, 2012, 12:37:25 pm »

So nothing really stopping someone beside being nice you could just tell them to f-off and make it anyways.

Except most forums that allow posting your own mods would probably remove the thread upon request.

How many times have we discussed "mod authors' rights" in this thread? I did not intend to start up another discussion.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: October 13, 2012, 12:41:59 pm »

Except most forums that allow posting your own mods would probably remove the thread upon request.

How many times have we discussed "mod authors' rights" in this thread? I did not intend to start up another discussion.
kk I'm done then. Can't wait to watch your guy's time Timelapse if it anything like FyreUK

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: October 13, 2012, 12:59:51 pm »

See, Eloraam has a legitimate reason for why she did that. Currently the various wire systems are all sorts of fucked due to different systems using different conversion rates and fan made conversion rates that make it really easy to produce energy feedback loops. Simply letting other people decide how your energy converts is a bad practice. Only reason it's damned is because people are impatient. She was cool with every other system she completed being mucked with.

And I specified mechanical energy systems. Everybody has made their own version of wires/energy pipelines, only really one guy messed with axles and gearboxes and wind/water turbines. And even the electrical wires were met with people complaining about ripping off Industrialcraft.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: October 13, 2012, 01:01:42 pm »

The thing is, external mods shouldn't be a concern. I think it's up to the people who are downloading that and voluntarily installing it to decide whether or not it's a dumb system. What she did was demanded that a mod which provided functionality that a large portion of the fanbase wanted be taken down.

It doesn't matter if people could create feedback loops, people can also NEI in an infinite supply of batteries to stick into a batbox if they wanted to.
My cabbages!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: October 13, 2012, 01:06:26 pm »

But then we run into the same issues that Minecraft itself runs into: "It's updated, but I don't try the new version until the side mods the author has nothing to do with update". Which is incredibly frustrating as a developer and has happened time after time in these games. And it discourages her mucking with how the energy system works because it'll break the side mods messing with it and she'll depend on other people updating for a large population of her users.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3088 on: October 13, 2012, 01:12:01 pm »

Plus the side mods could have bugs that make RP2 not work. This would cause a lot of trouble for Elo with false bug reports and such.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: October 13, 2012, 01:16:57 pm »

But then we run into the same issues that Minecraft itself runs into: "It's updated, but I don't try the new version until the side mods the author has nothing to do with update". Which is incredibly frustrating as a developer and has happened time after time in these games. And it discourages her mucking with how the energy system works because it'll break the side mods messing with it and she'll depend on other people updating for a large population of her users.
That's fair enough, although I'd like to think she has thicker skin than deciding to not work on her own energy system stuff because it would break other mods, just make it very clear that she provides no guarantee of them working with subsequent releases.

Plus the side mods could have bugs that make RP2 not work. This would cause a lot of trouble for Elo with false bug reports and such.
This is true of using pretty much any mods that are out alongside RP, except that ones are coded specifically to work alongside it are much less likely to break it.
My cabbages!

Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 326