Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 976226 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Major Mods Thread
« Reply #855 on: May 06, 2012, 05:30:35 pm »

Now I just need to figure out how to get monoliths spawning reliably. Cheers.

Oh and it wasn't that they were at the top of the map. The normal jungle trees were taller than the rubber ones / not cut off.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: May 06, 2012, 05:40:39 pm »

Now I just need to figure out how to get monoliths spawning reliably. Cheers.

Oh and it wasn't that they were at the top of the map. The normal jungle trees were taller than the rubber ones / not cut off.

Well, the algorithm that spawns the vanilla Minecraft trees may be different from the one in the mod that makes the Rubbertrees, since they're programmed by different people. Maybe one just checks if the base is under layer 128, and the other simply builds the tree and stops at layer 128.

Remember that the new hard limit for blocks is like 255 or more, but grass and trees are merely programmed not to grow if above layer 128.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: May 06, 2012, 06:42:00 pm »

I see what you were saying now. That certainly makes sense.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: May 06, 2012, 07:12:51 pm »

Because no one is helping me on the Minecraft Forum...

I have just recently downloaded the Fixed Version of Feed the Beast. I had been playing it before hand and the Fix was needed to be able to compleate the thing but when I try and load it I get a weird Black Screen at the time of starting the map or in fact any map. It says Switching Level then after a few seconds it goes blackscreen. I am sure I installed everything correctly but what could this mean???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: May 06, 2012, 10:23:41 pm »

The taint I mentioned previously may be getting out of control. It's sort of stopped at what looks like a 2x2 chunk boundary, but animals and stuff look like they're spreading it farther. Silverwood trees are supposed to be great at withstanding taint. If I were to chop one down (there are three within a short distance) and relocate the wood around the village, will that help balance the area's aura?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: May 06, 2012, 10:27:56 pm »

The taint I mentioned previously may be getting out of control. It's sort of stopped at what looks like a 2x2 chunk boundary, but animals and stuff look like they're spreading it farther. Silverwood trees are supposed to be great at withstanding taint. If I were to chop one down (there are three within a short distance) and relocate the wood around the village, will that help balance the area's aura?
It should, yeah. First, get all the silverwood leaves with shears and replace them after you place the silverwood, as I think they help too. Just don't place them directly on taint; the silverwood logs I place on pre-existing taint directly causes the logs to vanish. So build a cobble platform to keep the taint from touching them directly.

Also, I just used axe of the stream to remove a misplaced block in my all-wood house. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: May 06, 2012, 10:34:38 pm »

It should, yeah. First, get all the silverwood leaves with shears and replace them after you place the silverwood, as I think they help too. Just don't place them directly on taint; the silverwood logs I place on pre-existing taint directly causes the logs to vanish. So build a cobble platform to keep the taint from touching them directly.

Many thanks.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: May 06, 2012, 10:38:37 pm »

Ah. Ha ha.

Finally I finished building the hollow brick tower, then spent the last hour making a pump remove all the water inside... and it turns out the Era was unstable! LOL! >:(

All chunks around my tower are falling into nothing, they show as transparent on my minimap.

I didn't know Random Eras could be unstable even without any of that Super Ore or whatever the symbol is called, apparently I was wrong.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: May 06, 2012, 10:55:14 pm »

Instability is actually much more common in random ages than fully designed ages. Certain things cause the instability to increase. I'm not exactly sure what they all are, but the heavy resources symbol isn't the only one to add instability. Best thing you can do is learn enough symbols to completely write a book without anything random being put into it. Then, try to make things make sense, don't include any conflicting symbols or the heavy resources symbol. Even then I believe it's POSSIBLE to still have things unstable, just less likely. I also hear, in rumors and distant tales of the past that there should be some way to re-stabilize an age that's become unstable. I honestly don't have a clue what that might be though.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: May 06, 2012, 11:04:17 pm »

Yeah one thing I noticed in random eras for example, was that too often the Book will have something like Colour Fog 2 or 3 times. That can't be good.

I hope in future versions they add the feature that if you destroy a Descriptive book, the whole age is deleted from your saved game, and all linking books stop working, like in real life. I mean like in Myst.

Anyone tried to delete the age folder from the save folder?

EDIT: Just tried with a test save. It creates it again, identical, so it seems the seed (and parameters?) are already set, or maybe part of the book or part of... something.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:24:17 pm by Sergius »

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: May 07, 2012, 12:23:52 am »

Fuck it, I'll just post it here.

Here's all the info you need to generate decay-free worlds.
WARNING DO NOT OPEN IF YOU DONT WANT SERIOUS MYSTCRAFT SPOILERS.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Just tried with a test save. It creates it again, identical, so it seems the seed (and parameters?) are already set, or maybe part of the book or part of... something.

Yeah, you'll have to delete the relevent agedata_##.dat from \saves\SAVENAME\data\ as well as the dimension folder.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 12:27:20 am by Peewee »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: May 07, 2012, 04:47:26 am »

Playing technic+mystcraft; damn getting Thaumcraft crystals is easy. Craft a musket with bayonet, a bunch of bullets, and suddenly all those high-aura, high number of living crystal spawning eras are great. Click... Click... BLAM! *collects crystal* Click... Click.... BLAM! *collects crystal* Click... Click... BLAM! *collects crystal*

Also, for the record, musket with bayonet is the best thing ever.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: May 07, 2012, 09:07:19 am »

Fuck it, I'll just post it here.

Here's all the info you need to generate decay-free worlds.
WARNING DO NOT OPEN IF YOU DONT WANT SERIOUS MYSTCRAFT SPOILERS.

Yeah, you'll have to delete the relevent agedata_##.dat from \saves\SAVENAME\data\ as well as the dimension folder.

Awesome! Ack, can't believe I missed that folder, that was exactly what I was looking for. Just assumed the data folder held Vanilla data.

Then again, I don't mind keeping the "Age" data if I'm no longer going to go there and it's not using up any resources, since the folder stays gone if I never revisit (being careful since all linking books there will be gone also). Besides, the age ID is correlative so there's no hope anyway of "reusing" the age ID, unless I wanted to resort all other age IDs. That would be messy.

BTW, great info on the source code. {EDIT: Just realized one major source of instability, a lot of these Random Ages have both Flat AND Caveworld. I was wondering why it didn't look "cavey", it was because Flat was overriding it (and adding decay, probably :P)}

EDIT2: Spoiler alert: a game started in Creative mode automatically generates complete notebooks.

Playing technic+mystcraft; damn getting Thaumcraft crystals is easy. Craft a musket with bayonet, a bunch of bullets, and suddenly all those high-aura, high number of living crystal spawning eras are great. Click... Click... BLAM! *collects crystal* Click... Click.... BLAM! *collects crystal* Click... Click... BLAM! *collects crystal*

Also, for the record, musket with bayonet is the best thing ever.

Wha? musket, why would you use a musket...

Ah, "living" crystals. Gotcha. Not a bad idea, think I'm going to add the Extra Weapons (or however it was called) mod to my MultiMC instance. Too bad the author hasn't figured out enchants yet (at least for the melee weapons) since every other modder seems to have.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 09:16:54 am by Sergius »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: May 07, 2012, 01:59:40 pm »

Ooh, useful spoilers!  A little too numbery for me.  I'm actually not too sure it's accurate either, because

Either way, decay has been freaking me out hardcore, even in the Overworld.  Every time I spot a small depression in the ground...every time I see a spot where I set off a creeper then forgot about it, or worst of all a place where a chasm isn't /quite/ covered up by the ground above it (leaving holes), I seriously lose my shit and start thinking that maybe the overworld is decaying.  And really...who's to say that the 'overworld' isn't just one more age, built by someone else, somewhere?

I showed my friend Mystcraft and let him design an age; he picked high mountains and skylands and went trolololo.  Oh my god, it's *terrifying*, because normally there's ridges and little one-block-deep holes all over the place, and now they sometimes lead straight to nowhere.  Don't even think about doing Skylands in perma-night, by the way.  I have saved myself from the Void countless times thanks to my Sword of the Zephyr (all glory to the Sword of the Zephyr).
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #869 on: May 07, 2012, 02:34:27 pm »

(all glory to the Sword of the Zephyr).
Guessing you haven't updated Thaumcraft yet? Sword no longer lets you fly.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 326