Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 44

Author Topic: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming  (Read 154898 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming
« Reply #375 on: May 08, 2012, 07:42:28 pm »

I'll take Dodok the female trader if I may. Rename her Aira please. Have you hacked her into the fortress proper or will you let her hang around the edges of the map for now?

Here's Aira:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Can i get dwarfed as a master fisher/ lab assistant for the good doctor? An if possible i would like
to have my very own trained war sea beast for when i go fishing with. got to have protection when
the kraken comes you know?

Our two most skilled Fisherdwarves, Mosus Mosusid and Dodok Amdomas, are both female.  Mosus is Higginbottom III's wife, and Dodok is Graknorke's sister.  Is either of those OK, or do you want me to grab someone else and make them start fishing from Novice?

I can't give you any trained war sea beast, we haven't caught any yet.  I can offer you some lovely war giant sparrows however.

Can you dwarf me as a non crippled adult male? Any would do, just make it so he loves caverns.

None of our dwarves are crippled.  Well, Phones is a little, but he'll recover.   I can offer you Id Zegasen:

Do you have a preference for a name?  Oh, and chose a weapon.   Graknorke is drafting you for his adventure.

Quick note: if the Wallpotdwarf wants an accurate count of the pots in the fortress, they should be listed under "Tools" in the Stocks menu.
yes. yes i do.
because pots are useful. even moreso when they are filled with *horseshoe crab pie*

NEED MORE POTS!
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 08, 2012, 07:52:53 pm »

Name him Happythoughts. Give him a spear please.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 08, 2012, 07:55:51 pm »

If you can find some random dwarf would be fun at least my character can be like
"...so this is what the queen wanted? to just sit here and wait for armok knows how long?!"

an yes i think a giant sparrow would be nice. It'll be great having bored conversations with
a bird and the 2 nice ladies over yonder at the pier...lol jk dwarves WOULD NEVER STEAL EACH OTHERS
WIVES!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 08, 2012, 07:59:15 pm »

Ok.  You want a name, or should I just call him 3man75?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 08, 2012, 08:08:11 pm »

let his name be "Boss Man" who has the dream of one day owning his very own house next the ocean just like
his beloved queen probally wanted. If possible just house with standard things nothing to bad about a dwarf living outside right?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 08, 2012, 08:10:10 pm »

let his name be "Boss Man" who has the dream of one day owning his very own house next the ocean just like
his beloved queen probally wanted. If possible just house with standard things nothing to bad about a dwarf living outside right?

I'm sure nothing bad could possibly come from that.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 08, 2012, 08:13:23 pm »

Beautiful and thanks for the quick response friend! :) :) :)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 08, 2012, 08:59:21 pm »

Events of Malachite, year 56

Saint Iridkonos, Monk Errant, had produced a very strange instrument.

It bore images of both of the rulers of the dwarven civilization where he currently resided, as well as an image of itself, and several darker images which the local dwarves would not recognize.  It would not be a good idea to let anyone else examine it closely.  He would have to put it away somewhere safe and secret.

In her royal quarters, Geb was meeting with the Elven ambassador, if you could call it a meeting.  While this elf wasn't as threatening as the one who had appeared last year, he passed no opportunity to speak down to the dwarves.

Sneering at how the dwarves 'embraced the mud' - Ha, as if there was a speck of mud in Geb's quarters!  Still, there wasn't much point in arguing with the elf's demands.  There weren't even a hundred trees left uncut on the surface.

Deeper underground Athra had finally finished digging out the space for his personal, self-made quarters.

It had taken a lot longer than he'd originally estimated, and he'd hit an unexpected vein of cassiterite while digging.  He'd sneak those nuggets down to the smelter ore stockpile later.

Now, he needed privacy.  A few stone doors to close off the passage to the stairs, and to close off the rooms from each other.

Meanwhile, the dwarf who called himself only 'Boss Man' was marveling at the convenience of the hospital layout.  He could fish out of the aquifer, and keep an eye on the patients at the same time!

Now, he was pretty sure he'd seen a turtle under the well.  Just a little longer and he'd have it.

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 08, 2012, 09:11:06 pm »

Journal of "ObeseHelmet," Elf-Obsessed Semi-Speardwarf
Entry 2

Well journal, here you are again. Why did Geb have to be so anti-elf in her dealings with the elves? Their requests were so reasonable. But dwarves will never really learn to respect nature. Although I have to admit, dwarven wood items are still far preferable to the nature-damned metal crafts that dwarvenkind insists on specializing in.

I also have a humble request to Cilob, or Geb, or whoever the HFS is granting requests these days.

I WANT A CAGED ELF IN MY BEDROOM.  Figure
that one out, morality!*

And that "Saint" guy is really starting to freak me out. Depictions of dwarves, a "glowing pentagram," and worst of all, A FAMISHED DARK SLAVE ELF?! NATURE DAMN IT, IN IRON?! You can't try to tell me that artifact isn't completely unnerving.

Praise the trees, stop the digging, and keep your crossbows trained on Saint,
ObeseHelmet

*ooc: Yes, that's blasphemy, but that's kind of the point.
And sorry if this is incomprehensible but after all it's 10:11 at night....
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 09:13:53 pm by ObeseHelmet »

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 09, 2012, 12:20:29 am »

Chief Medical Officer's Log, Brightwater, Cain

It seems to me that the rest of the fortress is slowly starting to lose their minds. Why earlier I found one of my new assistants attempting to fish from the well. I made the time to take him aside and gently explain to him the necessities of proper sanitation and cleanliness. I will not tolerate filth in my hospital.

As usual, sublimely overjoyed I am me.
Cain

----
OOC: Just out of curiosity, what are my dwarf's stats in things? Also, if I don't have one yet, can I get a personal training room so Cain can learn wrestling and dodging?
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 09, 2012, 03:47:11 am »

From the journal of Dex:
After a few months i feel like I've finally started settling in here in brightwhatever. The girls seem happy enough on the odd occasion that we see one another and work has been fine. I rather enjoy being the "reserve squad" as i've taken to calling myself. It's quite fun waking up every morning and not knowing what I'll be doing. Usually it's hauling, but whatever. It's something new everyday and that's what's important.

I just found out today what the actual purpose of this fort is. I'd assumed it was some sort of military post or something, since Deduk thought it would be the best place for Rigoth to learn the way of the sword. But it's not. Believe it or not, but the queen herself actually commissioned some animal trainer to come here and capture sea creatures. His name is Cilob and after asking around, it turns out he's not just some animal trainer, but truly the stuff of legends. Ever since I read that human book about a massive sea creature called a walrus i've dreamed of having one for a friend. I never actually thought it would amount to more than a dream, but it seems this might eventually be the place to do such a thing. woo hoo!

But if this isnt a military post, why the blazes did Deduk want to come here?

Eh, back to work.

OOC, would ya please notify me if i, my wife, or daughter get any friends or if any of our relatives migrate?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 04:33:59 am by Poindexterity »
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 09, 2012, 06:33:59 am »

Hey Sphalerite, mind adding my dwarf into the military as a wrestler?   It seems you have most of the animal training taken care of anyways  :-\

Also, can I see my character's stats and relationships?

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 09, 2012, 07:05:18 am »

Once I have a Mood I would like to have you build a lighthouse, sphalerite. And I think McWhale would like to live in the top.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #388 on: May 09, 2012, 07:57:59 am »

Making enough requests, people? Geez...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 09, 2012, 09:45:21 am »

Could I have a look at my dwarfs thoughts and kill list?

*The dwarven record is 18
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 44