Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 44

Author Topic: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming  (Read 154895 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming
« Reply #345 on: May 06, 2012, 06:21:56 pm »

Now Athra was deep in the mines beneath the fortress.  He had snuck a look at the survey charts of the caravans, and picked an obscure spot of rock, an area that had been ignored for having no useful minerals, and with no plans for official construction.  Now he hefted his new copper pick, and swung it at the rock face for the first time.
What would the caravans know about the caverns? :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 06:25:59 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #346 on: May 06, 2012, 06:32:04 pm »

Do we currently have a jail? If we don't I request one to be built with my room, office and dining room on the same floor.

Already taken care of.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here we see Phones eating in his personal dining room.  Immediately next door is the goblin prisoner holding area, currently holding seven captured and stripped goblins waiting for transfer to Alpha Laboratories, and the jail, which has yet to see a prisoner as no crimes have yet been committed at Brightwater.

6th of Hematite, 56

A momentous day for Brightwater!  After round the clock day-and-night work by the mechanics, the first ocean trap chamber is ready for use.

A dwarf of no particular regard, who few know personally, is chosen to pull the lever.

Water crashes into the trap.  Hopefully, fish will wander in and be caught in the arrays of cage traps.

Meanwhile, deep underground, Athra continues digging.  The other miners had made this seem so easy...

« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 06:40:08 pm by Sphalerite »
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 06, 2012, 06:39:23 pm »

Now Athra was deep in the mines beneath the fortress.  He had snuck a look at the survey charts of the caravans, and picked an obscure spot of rock, an area that had been ignored for having no useful minerals, and with no plans for official construction.  Now he hefted his new copper pick, and swung it at the rock face for the first time.
What would the caravans know about the caverns? :)

Curse you automatic spelling correction!
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 06, 2012, 06:49:43 pm »

Have you tried assigning some preferential furniture to McWhale's hovel? I heard he likes that
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 06, 2012, 07:27:43 pm »

Oh dear... I don't think Ral is taking my orders about floodgates very seriously. I hope he realises why examples of fine mechanical engineering must not go to potential enemies. A dwarf-made floodgate isn't just a hinged door. They have precisely etched linking areas for that most wondrous of our engineering secrets, the mechanism.

Can he imagine the havok if an elf managed to make a mechanism? It's too horrible to consider!

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 06, 2012, 08:08:02 pm »

How have I been healing up? And my skills? Any relationship changes?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 06, 2012, 08:28:17 pm »

How have I been healing up? And my skills? Any relationship changes?

Daenyth is still walking with a crutch, as his shattered right foot is still healing.

He is somehow still a Dabbling swordsdwarf, I'm not sure why he hasn't gotten more skill in it.  Once he's healed I'll have to make sure he gets some practice against unarmed goblins.

He does have two actual kills.

He still has no close friends.

Still, he's pretty happy.

Meanwhile, Geb took the news that the fortress doesn't have any floodgates to sell to the elves in the first place badly.  She's insisted that we make some, so we can then refuse to export them.

In other news, Militia Commander Fritz ran into the unluckiest Kobold in the world.

She killed it slowly and messily.

Commander Fritz is not a merciful dwarf.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 06, 2012, 08:31:12 pm »

From the journal of Dex
        It was Deduk's idea to come here. My wife always wanted our girl, Rigoth to be a great slayer of goblins, and when she heard of this brightwhatnot place, she jumped at the chance to bring us all here. I suggested a few other options not as far away or as infested with the inbred royal family, but Deduk would hear none of it. She's a very "my way or the highway" sorta girl. Maybe that's why i love her. who knows?
        The walk was long, and the evidence that we weren't the first to try to make it here was everywhere along the way, but the size of the wall made me feel a bit less uneasy about the whole affair. We've been given a decent room, even though it isn't fully furnished. Not that we spend much time there anyways. Work has been keeping us busy, so much so that we haven't really seen much of eachother or Rigoth since we arrived. I do hope that young girl is making friends, but i gotta be honest. She sees even more of the wicked ways of this world than i do, and she's even worse at hiding it than i am. Maybe her mother is right and she IS destined to walk the way of the sword.

eh, back to work, life of the worker.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 06, 2012, 08:37:03 pm »

Cilob's Journal, 3rd of Malachite, 56

No sooner did the elves leave, than another group of migrants arrived, again led by former traders.  Eight in total.

There are two dwarves who've been here before.  Dodok Tholalath and Ezum Tatloshmosus, neither of which seems to have any significant skills outside of knowing the way back here.  There's also a member of that sprawling family, a peasant named Item Sakrithdatan who seems to have no useful skills whatever.  There's a married couple, Id Zegasen the metalcrafter and Zaneg Luzatedem the Mason.  Then three more single dwarves:  Rakust Niltosed the Blacksmith, Shem Limulalnis the Weaver, and Zan Itredsazir the Potash Maker.

I've attached details on all of them below.

One other thing.  On my way to train another of my beloved sparrows, I spotted a dwarf I didn't recall the name of, doing something very intense in a workshop.  I'm sure it's nothing.

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 06, 2012, 09:03:24 pm »

Has my dwarf done anything interesting yet? (Other than have trouble deciding on his name.)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 06, 2012, 09:10:37 pm »

Has my dwarf done anything interesting yet? (Other than have trouble deciding on his name.)

Sadly, no.  There hasn't been much call for medical staff lately, other than Daenyth who Cain ended up taking care of anyway.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 06, 2012, 10:30:02 pm »

Thanks very much! Perhaps the elf lover could make some wooden training swords? Leave the goblin in his metal armor but take his weapon away and give me the training sword. It'll take ages for him to die.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 06, 2012, 10:55:49 pm »

If there are any war giant badgers left, I'd like a couple of them.

We only have one war honey badger so far, no giant badgers of any type have shown up.
That'll do if it's still available.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #358 on: May 07, 2012, 02:01:19 am »

I'll take Dodok the female trader if I may. Rename her Aira please. Have you hacked her into the fortress proper or will you let her hang around the edges of the map for now?

BeserkNINJA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 07, 2012, 04:18:42 am »

do you have a sheriff/ captain of the guard yet because if not id love to have Higginbottom become one.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 44