Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 44

Author Topic: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming  (Read 154816 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Brightwater: Community fortress of science, oceans, and animal taming
« Reply #240 on: April 30, 2012, 01:13:39 pm »

Clearly, I'm going to have to start modding some of these creatures to be war-trainable.

Starting with the cavies.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 30, 2012, 01:15:21 pm »

Animal taming is the purpose of this outpost, and as baroness, it is right that animals should be on my mind. Perhaps I should be considering the mystery of the rhinoceros. Perhaps I would be expected to be bothered by a loose hamster in my suite. Instead, it is the reports of giant monitor lizards that stick in my mind. Their death disturbs me. I feel a strange connection to such creatures, as though a grinning yellow lizard was watching everything I do. I cannot explain this feeling.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 30, 2012, 01:25:30 pm »

This is simply amazing, could probably compare this to Battlefailed in its finest days.

Is the militia commander, Morul Cattendoren, still available for dorfing?

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 30, 2012, 01:45:11 pm »

Urist McWhale demands a pet whale!
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 30, 2012, 02:26:18 pm »

Very Epic Story! Very entertaining to read! after reading this I will prolly do a community fortress after my current crumbles (or we get the minecart update)....

For now though i would like to be dorfed...

Prefrences to a military dwarf if there are any left... if not a simple miner or mason as long as i dont end up a useless hauler... any family relations will do

thanks! and keep up the awesome work!
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

BeserkNINJA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 30, 2012, 02:47:33 pm »

if your going to make them trainable higginbottom would love to have a war pangolin, or even better a war giant badger the dwarfiest of beasts.

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 30, 2012, 03:20:22 pm »

if your going to make them trainable higginbottom would love to have a war pangolin, or even better a war giant badger the dwarfiest of beasts.

I want a war badger, I don't care if I'm in the military or not.  I call all rights to train them for war.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 30, 2012, 06:33:18 pm »

Journal of Saint, Entry 4

Ha! My request for prickle berries has been answered. The leader of this fort (nobody considers that baroness to be in charge; she does act as a useful decoy for elven assassins, though) probably expects the berries to appear in his food! Ha! Not likely (well, maybe the berries themselves).

In my time as chief herbalist of Ananumid, a skill which unfortunately hasn't transferred to this new body, I discovered that the leaves of prickle berries have some interesting properties once dried, roasted, and dissolved in alcohol. While it pained me to forgo my lunchtime ale, I needed to ensure that, in this universe (or region, or island), the berries possessed the same properties. Mixing the prepared leaves with the ale, I slipped out of the fortress in between lard roasts for long enough to feed the concoction to one of the rhinocerouses.

The effects were better than I had hoped.

Heavy breathing began in under thirty seconds; within a minute, the she-rhino had lost the ability to stand. Her heart was still as a rock after only one and a half minutes.

The poison breaks down within a few days, but until then I hope nobody decides to sneak a bite of the rhino should it be butchered before then, lest they fall victim to the same toxin. Now that I'm certain the potion works, and works spectacularly well, I can begin slipping the stuff into the water of some the less likely to be missed tamed animals around the fort, and render out their delicious lard! Brightwater shall not starve under my watch.

Addendum: On an unrelated note, I was able to sneak down to that shaft in the underlevels where they perform !!Science!! - in time to watch them determine if Goblins have the ability to fly. I think somebody has spent to much time in the sunlight; if anything, they should flood the place and see if Goblins are close to developing the coordination needed to
swim.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 06:35:16 pm by StLeibowitz »
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #248 on: April 30, 2012, 07:23:09 pm »

Is the militia commander, Morul Cattendoren, still available for dorfing?

She is.  I will warn you that she's 139 years old and may actually die of old age soon, but she's your if you want her for her remaining life.

Any chance of a rendition of the movie Birds any time soon?  :P

WAR GIANT SPARROWS ATTACK!

Also, dwarfing request:

Male, named Ash, a swordsdwarf if one is available, a marksdwarf if not.

I give you Domas Tobulkulin, Male Marksdwarf, now known as Ash.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For now though i would like to be dorfed...

Prefrences to a military dwarf if there are any left... if not a simple miner or mason as long as i dont end up a useless hauler... any family relations will do

We're out of military dwarves, Risen Ellesttekkud (Great Miner, Competent Mason) looks like a good choice.  You want 'Maxmurder' or a different name?

Short update today.  The USB thumb drive that Brightwater lives on broke - connector actually cracked off.  I managed to fix it, and have since been backing up everything important on it to multiple places.

Cilob's journal - mid-summer update

The human caravan has arrived.  I have sent the soldiers out - all of them, of which by my count there are thirteen, in three squads, marksdwarves, hammers, swordsdwarves, and a few oddities like that fellow with the flail.  I don't want the goblins interrupting this trade caravan.

Of course, the goblins don't show.  Neither do any kobolds or unusual wild animals.  Expected.  They're probably waiting, saving their strength for the dwarven caravan in the fall.  Some of the soldiers are grumbling about long patrol times - and being asked to kill cavies when they are sent out - but there's not much else we can do.  We can't leave the entrance unguarded.

I wonder if some of these animals can be trained as soldiers?  I'll have to ask Cain if he has any ideas on enhancing the aggressiveness of these animals.  Now that Cain's star patient is walking again, he should have the time to help with that.

Yes, Rakust regained consciousness recently.  She's even walking again, without even needing a crutch.  Amazing.  I don't know how Cain did it.

She doesn't remember any of the attack.  Her first request was for some fresh clothing.

Poor kid looks like she was torn apart and stitched together, which of course she was.  Hopefully some of those scars will smooth out over time.

And I think she's carrying enough thread for Erush to make an entire outfit from.

But she's alive and walking.  Cain should be proud.

Now, Geb is acting as our Baroness, meeting with the human diplomats for the first time.

She's got a list of supplies the humans can help us with.  I expect she'll make a few requests of her own, but that's the prerogative of a Baroness.

At least the demands she makes are for thing she's happy to produce herself.

Now, I have asked Weiss Ironcage to take on a new task, since he's done so well with those cavies.  I'm having him tame the rhinoceroses, one at a time.  It's good practice for him.  I just hope he doesn't get too attached, since we're going to butcher them as soon as he says they're safe to approach.  Can't keep those things alive.  I still don't know how that female one died.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #249 on: April 30, 2012, 11:19:04 pm »

It's too bad the Human diplomat already arrived - just a few hours ago, I managed to produce my first binary patch for 0.34.xx which fixes diplomat bodyguards. If you can think of a reason for the Humans to suddenly step up security for their future diplomatic visits, feel free to apply it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:23:52 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 30, 2012, 11:30:36 pm »

If you can, please dorf me into that female militia commander. Call her 'Fritz'.

dwarf women also grow beards, so nobody will know the diffrence

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #251 on: May 01, 2012, 06:22:00 am »

dwarf women also grow beards, so nobody will know the diffrence
No they don't, unless you've done some modding. Take a look at the raws if you don't believe me.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 01, 2012, 10:48:21 am »

We're out of military dwarves, Risen Ellesttekkud (Great Miner, Competent Mason) looks like a good choice.  You want 'Maxmurder' or a different name?

Ellesttekkud it is! and Maxmurder is fine for a name!

Thanks
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

BeserkNINJA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 01, 2012, 12:16:18 pm »

Higginbottoms journal

today i was called out to stand guard for a bunch of townsmen useless creatures they dont even know how to dig. the only reason i went up top was in the hope a kobold or a goblin would turn up so i could rip out its heart and feed it to its family... oh well better luck next time.

ive heard talk of that scaled creature that ran getting tamed by cilob and i want it ill even let that elf lover talk to me if i get it..... imagine it a huge armored beast charging into battle against the dan elves, it will be glorious.

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 01, 2012, 03:01:30 pm »

If it isn't too much trouble, could you find a dwarf (any male one will do.) Who can use a spear, or will? I have this connection to the things. In my past five or so fortresses all my migrants with any military skill were speardwarves, and a few hammerdwarves. That aside, I'd love to have a war goose if you plan on doing things like that.

If you feel that the military is too big, give me an assistant doctor instead who desires to conduct revolutionary studies such as the effect of alcohol on a surgeon's precision mid-surgery.

No matter which, name him "Phenos" as well as being depicted as having a pipe.

Side note: An idea for some science is whether goblins can dive or not, give them a huge drop with water and see how they react/how cool the splashes sound echoing in the caverns.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:04:42 pm by exolyx »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 44