Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many eggs should creatures lay at a time?

Original amounts (chickens 4-15, crocodiles 20-60)
Something in between.
Modest Mod's current amounts (chickens 2-4, crocodiles 4-8)
Fewer than that.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21

Author Topic: Modest Mod 2.2 - Under new management  (Read 148451 times)

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modest Mod 2.0 - Now with graphics support!
« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2012, 08:55:07 pm »

They're the same sort of castle-fortresses as humans build, although I think there should be more civilians living in dwarf and goblin fortresses.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2012, 05:45:38 pm »

Version 2.0 has been uploaded, adding support for the Phoebus and Ironhand graphics packs!

Also, I added a bunch of CHILD tags to most of the creatures with PET_EXOTIC, as requested. I did, however, skip sexless creatures like the fire imp and cave blob, and also giant vermin.
Quick question, you said you made Dwarves and Goblins made "Fortresses" in world gen. That, in turn, is badass, but did you actuly get them to make there own type of settlment, or did you just copy the human one?

Thanks for this fix btw, its awsome.

Yeah, that's impossible, so don't be expecting anything like that till the next version of DF :P

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 03, 2012, 02:52:23 am »

It is a while since I played DF without this mod. I believe it does what it is supposed to do, but I really cannot tell, it is indeed a very modest mod.

One point though: Competent stonecrafter Urist McStoney got himself ignited, when he carved fortifications into the magma shaft. He was burning for almost two years, before I thought of digging a pond in the entrance of the main hall. Before modest mod I had a few incidents with burning dwarves, but they normally died (of thirst I believe) within three to six months. Have you changed dwarven combustion rates in your mod?

And another thing: My grazers still starve very fast. I use DFHack to regrass, so it is no big deal. But I don't really see any difference in starving rate. Perhaps I have forgotten how fast they starve in vanilla.

Also the orphan traders are still standing at the map edge, getting killed by goblins. Which is not all bad, when the action is over some dwarf will get a new pair of socks.

Anyway, thanks for the mod, I really believe it works as intended.
DF: where imagination beats animation

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 03, 2012, 10:37:11 am »

Also the orphan traders are still standing at the map edge, getting killed by goblins. Which is not all bad, when the action is over some dwarf will get a new pair of socks.
DFhack has a tool for fixing this.
tweak fixmigrant

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 03, 2012, 11:01:08 am »

Nope, I didn't touch dwarven flammability. Anything that causes more fire can't be a bug.

Large grazers do still need a big area to survive. Elephants, for instance, need a 20x20 square to themselves for sustainable grazing. That might sound like a lot, but in vanilla they needed a 40x40 space and would starve to death even if they ate constantly. Cows used to need 14x14, now they need 8x8. I suppose I could reduce the necessary pasture sizes even further... maybe that'll be my next poll.

And I'm afraid the orphan traders aren't a bug that can be fixed in the raws. DFHack is your best bet.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #125 on: September 03, 2012, 06:19:02 pm »

I did a little googling. Apparently IRL ~2.5 acres per cow is a ball park figure.

I'm not sure how applicable that is though considering the complete other-worldliness of distance, size and time in DF.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 04, 2012, 10:56:29 am »

Toady recently set a specific size for tiles:
Quote from: Quatch
As part of the flying minecart physics, did you decide on a tile size?

Assuming gravity works like real world gravity and you can invent a time unit (obviously not linked to the dwarf mode calendar, which moves too fast for this), then a choice has been made.  It wouldn't make any fewer dragons fit in the tile though.  I think for the purposes of the minecarts it turned out to be 2m x 2m x 3m with 10 clicks / second, but it isn't that important or far-ranging in effect.

2.5 acres is about 1 hectare, which is 100m x 100m. That's a 50x50 square. If cows needed that much space, then even capybaras would be doomed to death by starvation.

Otherworldliness indeed.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 04, 2012, 11:20:01 am »

There are still troubles with the Eternal Fashion submod. As you already know Dwarves arrive wearing only a cloak and two shoes, and they won't wear anything else unless they're assigned a uniform.

The starting seven dwarves don't seem to mind, the trouble is that all my migrants are quite unhappy about being 'exposed'. One has already gone babbling insane, with seemingly little else bothering him. Granted the fortress was still new so he didn't have an excellent bedroom or dining room to cheer him up.

I hope there is some workaround to making this work, as having loads of rotted clothing laying about is both messy and won't do the frame rate any favors, but having your dwarves naked and mad isn't any kind of good.

Sticking them all in the military and assigning them a uniform does seem to work to get them to put on some clothes now that I've given that a shot. It is unfortunate they don't arrive with any clothes so you have to expend a lot of effort to getting them all dressed when they get there, plus sticking them all in squads is going to get unwieldy down the line.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 06, 2012, 09:41:49 pm »

Yeah, maybe I should make one of the lower-body articles of clothing act as regular clothing again. Loincloths, maybe? I know I never make loincloths, myself.

Now that I think about it, maybe the default upper-body clothing should be something useless too, like a vest. It must be annoying to have to replace people's cloaks all the time.

Unfortunately there's nothing I can do about having to put people in the military to get them to wear better clothing. That's the trade-off of Eternal Fashion. I can put a more specific warning in the readme, though.

gabranth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 08, 2012, 04:05:52 am »

question since is does bug fixes is it possible to fix the permanent negative thoughts due to long patrol smoothing and engraving there rooms don't even help i finally had enough of it and quit

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 08, 2012, 03:15:21 pm »

question since is does bug fixes is it possible to fix the permanent negative thoughts due to long patrol smoothing and engraving there rooms don't even help i finally had enough of it and quit

Thoughts are unmoddable.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 08, 2012, 09:20:33 pm »

Increasing their DUITFULNESS, SELF_DISCIPLINE, and ACHIEVMENT_STRIVING attributes might help with that.

Or you could just give your soldiers a break every few months. That's probably easier.

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 08, 2012, 10:06:47 pm »

There's a binary patched version of the .exe that claims to fix the 'bad thoughts from long patrol duty' bug, among other bugs, here:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6741

gabranth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 09, 2012, 09:46:55 am »

you could just give your soldiers a break every few months. That's probably easier.

that doesn't work you could give them a break for 10 years and they still will go insane

There's a binary patched version of the .exe that claims to fix the 'bad thoughts from long patrol duty' bug, among other bugs, here:

im trying that now

[Under Consideration]
Add a reaction to empty buckets containing water and/or lye

i think this is a good idea especially if it removes frozen water embarking in the arctic ocean should give you an idea why

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 09, 2012, 02:36:37 pm »

you could just give your soldiers a break every few months. That's probably easier.
that doesn't work you could give them a break for 10 years and they still will go insane
Ah, I didn't realize it was an actual bug. It never seemed to come up in my games.

That's fantastic. I knew there was a patch like that in an older version, but I had no idea there was a new one. I'll ask Elvang if I can borrow his patched .exe.

[Under Consideration]
Add a reaction to empty buckets containing water and/or lye
i think this is a good idea especially if it removes frozen water embarking in the arctic ocean should give you an idea why
Isn't it easier to empty buckets full of frozen water? You just mark the lump of ice for dumping. I suppose bucket-dumping is still a thing I should implement, though. Any suggestions as to which building it should go in?

Finally: To the people who responded to the "Do you use the Modest Mod?" poll with "Yes, but with some tweaks of my own", what tweaks have you made? Just curious.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21