Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 58

Author Topic: Roll to Explore the Dungeon: Ch.2 T.38: Do you even praise the King?  (Read 120434 times)

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Explore the Dungeon: Ch.2 T.33 - STAIRS
« Reply #690 on: September 10, 2013, 08:25:58 am »

((Today brah. Also, why not try it?))
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: September 10, 2013, 09:26:09 pm »

((Because we're going to die alone in this tower it'll probably take quite a while to get back. I totally would have if I'd thought of it while I had access to it. And some money. And something I knew I wanted to buy.))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: September 10, 2013, 09:37:51 pm »

((How about a puppy? I think you should buy a puppy.
We have a distinct lack of any party pets. Well, discounting Hel's bear form.))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Explore the Dungeon: Ch.2 T.34 - STAIRS, AGAIN - 1 Slot Open!
« Reply #693 on: September 11, 2013, 07:21:06 am »

Well... turns out I don't have to kick Yoink. For once, turns getting delayed pays off. And I already typed out these sheets. So whatever, we're taking one newcomer. Best sheet wins. Effort may be required.

Spoiler: Sheet template (click to show/hide)

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: September 11, 2013, 07:23:08 am »

Now, onwards to the actual turn.

Turn 34: Yo dawg, so I heard you like stat checks, so I put stat checks after stat checks so you can check your stats while you get your stats checked

Maka
Spoiler: Action (click to show/hide)

(3 - Slight Success) The jelly isn't fashionable. It periodically emits low voltage currents, making Maka's hair even more messed up. (No, Maka, static electricity in your hair is not fashionable, either.) It wibbles and wobbles and is really quite wet.

One could say, in the fashion of belt-wielding fathers everywhere on this world, that this hurts Maka more than it hurts the jelly.

Elenor
(Gain 3 XP in Investigation from last turn. Investigation skill level up! Is now Novice Investigator.)

(2 - Failure) It's really boring down here.

Remy

(6 - Overshot) Roger, then. Gather your, wink wink nudge nudge, equipment. And then help Apollo with gathering his

...crap. His equipment is longer than yours. W-well, it's about how you can use it, not the size of it, right? And also his was definitely super much cooler.

Apollo

(6 - Overshot) Apollo looks at the guano. He looks back at his rifle. Then back at the guano. Gunpowder. We have a water problem. GUNPOWDER.

Well, of course one could use dynamite to get rid of these problems. Or, really, some sort of powder bomb. Recipe's easy. Charcoal, saltpeter, sulfur and explodium, right? Every Alchemist worth his salt had some sulphur in one of his pockets, using it as perfume or method of identification. And saltpeter... well, he had fossilized bird crap. Finally, charcoal should be doable with some driftwood and a fire source.

Fire source.

Apollo peers over to Remy creepily.

It was time to do !!SCIENCE!!.

(Remy SCIENCE Roll: 5: Aww.)
(Apollo Invention Roll: 3: Nothing.)

A few precious minutes later, Apollo has one less set of eyebrows and one more stash of firebombs.

(3 XP gained in Alchemy.)

Obtained: Firebomb x4!

Taren

(4 - Partial Success) The ferryman not having gotten up yet worries Taren. Time to hoist him and pick him up... (LV.8 STR check! 4+2-8 = -2) Whew, he could try to lose some weight. Should be okay, though, as long as he doesn't have to carry him for too long. Oof. To the stairs. Aaand... oh, wait, Hel is approaching with the ass and, whoa, hey! Whatcha doing?!

Komas

(2 - Failure) Komas is as irate as a man slung over the shoulder of another and with a bear ass in his face can be. He, however, is also as confused as a man slung over the shoulder of another and with a bear ass in his face can be. As such, the irate tirade his brain tells his mouth to launch is interpreted by the mouth as an order to politely request getting put down. Taren, who is basically just relieved, obliges, only to see Helskaya advance, finger drawn.

Helskaya

(6 - Overshot)

Operation Bear Ass was a success. Komas did wake up pretty quickly. After smelling it yourself - just to test - Hel can certainly certify it is an effective method of waking someone up. The stench is spectacular, and not only because it had already aged some. It was stuffed, like a particularily weird hunting trophy, but whoever stuffed it didn't do a good job. No living bear had this succulent an...

Ahem. Kind of a shame to have lost this exemplar. Hel would have liked to ask the owner of this posterior out, to a romantic burning beehive dinner. But alas.

It was time to practice medicine. He snapped a stray gut over his operation hand.

"Tell me where it hurts."

Taren seems quite unwilling to tell him where it hurts.

"Please. This is for your own good."

Taren's eyes indicate that he cannot possibly see how this could be for his own good.

"Are you possessed by a foul spirit, perhaps?"

Taren's sigh tries to quietly hint that the only foul spirit possessing him goes by the name of common sense.

"--Then there is but one way."

Taren seems resigned to the fact that this one way is not just leaving the situation be, which suddenly seems like a rather attractive option.

"EN GARDE! I'LL GET THIS OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM, FRIEND!"

With one terribly long leap, Helskaya Arkut lunges at his unwilling patient, his finger burning with withdrawal symptoms. His other hand is at Taren's throat, then his jaw, wrenching open a mouth clamped tightly shut, to jam the shining shamanic-- Oh god.

(LV.8 TGH Check, Taren: 3+1+(2)-8 = -2 Minor Failure) HUARGLBLARGHBLUEEEEEERGHKOFFKOFFGRUAAAHRGgllbrlllgrHUARGHARFARG

"There! 'tis the spirit of foulness, now gone from your body."

And, after wiping the remainder of this 'spirit' from his mouth, Taren does feel somewhat better. And weakened. And hungry.

(2 XP gained in Herbal Medicine.)

--

Now then, did I mention that the stairs were slippery? They did not lose much of that property. Party-wide LV.7 SWF check to not slip.

Maka 4+(2)-7 = -1: Minor Failure
Hel 3+(1)-7 = -3: Major Failure
Taren 3+(6)-7 = 2: Flawless Success
Remy 5+(4)-7 = 2: Flawless Success
Apollo 3+(1)-7 = -3: Major Failure
Komas 2+(5)-7 = 0: Flawed Success

Maka is the first to skip down the stairs. About halfway down, she slips, sliding down the rest on her rear end. (LV.5 TGH check: 2+(6)-5=3 Flawless Success) While she technically got a sore arse from that, she doesn't mind at all, since she had far too much fun. She lands next to Elenor with a big, silly smile.
Right after her, the tangle of a scared Helskayabear and an even more scared Apollo hugging the bear tightly comes crashing down. (LV.8 TGH checks: 5+2-8=-1, 3+2-8=-3: +1 Pain, +2 Pain) Because Hel was a bear, he got through without too much trouble, and managed to stop before sliding down. Apollo had a bit of a harder time, since he was only a squishy human, but he is fine enough as well.
After them, Taren, Remy and Komas, approaching the stairs with more respect, manage to descend on their legs. And Helskaya managed to transform back after wrenching away Apollo still bearhugging him.

All that remains is one closed door. Elenor opens it.

((The numbers seem to work out pretty well. Get used to seeing a lot of LV.7 checks as a task of moderate difficulty, and anything above being serious problems.))

---

The room that, after an awkwardly long period of Elenor fiddling with the lock, opened up to the adventurers, revealing a grand room, as wide as the entire tower and so high that the adventurer's entrance door is a good deal above the ground, connected by one more set of stairs. The ground is littered with mountains of untold riches, with gold, gems and many other marvels, stacked so abundantly that they form a miniature hill landscape, inviting the intrepid adventurer to bathe in them. Several stained glass windows, some broken, some still intact and all as tall as the wall, let in the day's light, colored by the glass.

Oh, and there's a gigantic dragon with blue scales sleeping peacefully on the loot, taking up at a bit less than half of the room. A humanoid figure clad in a blue garment that looks suspiciously like a bathrobe lies snuggled next to him.

The group's entrance is located to the west of the room. There's a grand, closed portal on the other side of the room, and a huge gaping hole in the south side of the wall.

---

Character Sheets

Helskaya Arkut (lawastooshort)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Elenor Warsen (Caellath)

Apollo Anderson (Spinal_Taper)

Taren Creyn (Tiruin)

Remy Maelle (Remaelle)

Maka R'lyeh-Voile (IronyOwl)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 07:26:52 am by Errol »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: September 11, 2013, 07:52:18 am »

((I really shouldn't, but you all knew this could only end one way.))

"YAY!" Maka bellowed with unusual force, adding a "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" as she dashed recklessly down the stairs.

"WAKE UP MISTER DRAGON WE'RE HERE TO TALK TO YOU WHY ARE YOU SO SHINY DID IT TAKE YOU A LONG TIME TO GET THIS MUCH LOOT?!" she continued upon reaching the bottom, being extra loud so the big dragon could hear her better.

Run at dragon, wake dragon.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: September 11, 2013, 08:34:07 am »

Helskaya sees the dragon, and that’s kind of where his mental thought train crashes to a squealing halt.

”Oh crap.”

Gripping his bong for comfort, he panic-changes into the cuddliest damn massive raging polar bear he can manage, and flees towards the gap to the south. Once there, he peeks round the hole in wall to observe. He starts to long for seal meat. He totally doesn’t know these guys.

Transform. Flee. Whimper.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 02:54:08 am by lawastooshort »

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: September 11, 2013, 08:40:34 am »

"Oh come on, even I knew that was a bad idea!"
Prepare for combat.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: September 11, 2013, 01:35:26 pm »

Elenor's eyes shine momentarily when they rest upon what is presented before them. A dragon - killing one of those is one of the highest feats of strength and skill a knight could achieve; the materials harvested from its body enough to grant him a small fortune and the fame enough to give him a shot at a good employment contract and finally the acquisition of lands and even more riches. The title of destitute or rogue knight would be left behind him, a memory of times past.

And yet, he isn't willing to attack the beast.

"Eyes, nostrils, auricular orifices. Grab onto the head, hold onto ridges, protrusions and horns. Avoid mouth, pay attention to movements..." he mumbles quietly, enumerating possible weak spots and fighting tactics, though the knight has no intention to start a fight. First of all, he doesn't have his heirloom shield; secondly, fighting a dragon is a very dangerous experience; thirdly, and most important, they don't even know if the beast is aggressive.

Fourth reason and the one he's less likely to admit, the young knight has a begrudging respect for dragons in some aspects. His own family has already been surrounded by a bit of a mystique - hence his magic shield having a dragon image on it - and delusions of grandeur of a past involving the magical monsters mingling in with their lineage. He was, of course, fed this bullshit and didn't believe any of it, but some acknowledgement of the creatures' capabilities managed to sneak in. However, he's still very skeptic if dragons are capable of understanding true power or skill, having been born and growing as killing machines of immense size.

The rogue knight only snaps out of his reverie when he notices Maka running towards the scaly beast while hollering. In that single moment, one of Elenor's eyes twitches like he's about to have a stroke and he grits his teeth until it seems like they're about to crack. His usually undisturbed mind is shaken by the crackling thunder of a lightning's hot plasma searing through his nerves and hitting home. There's only silence afterwards and his brain seems to resume normal functioning after a few milliseconds. "No."

Stay near the door, prepare for combat, watch results, try to discern who is the person in a bathrobe from a distance.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:00:30 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: September 11, 2013, 01:53:12 pm »

((If you want to tackle Maka I could apply the bear ass to her nose))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: September 11, 2013, 02:03:50 pm »

((If you want to tackle Maka I could apply the bear ass to her nose))
((I've considered a tackle, but that'd probably go badly for either Elenor, Maka or both.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: September 11, 2013, 08:08:24 pm »

Komas just shook his head in disgust.
"Bah. Y'see, this be why adventurin' be such a fool idea. Y'go wanderin' around some dank bloody hole in th' ground, at th' mercy o' whate'er magical doohickeys yer 'allies' manage tae set off, and then 'course there's always a blasted dragon involved. There ain't even any good fishin' spots!"

He grumbled for a moment longer then nudged Elenor, jerking his weather-beaten head in the direction of the gap in the South wall.
"'Ey lad, what d'ye think o' the rest of us makin' a run fer that hole, while th' thing's busy eatin' the girl?"
He raised a bushy eyebrow, then added with some distaste, "...Or are ye one a' them 'heroes' I seem t'be so set on gettin' mixed up with at every opportunity?" He continued muttering, his scowl remaining in place as he watched Maka's progress across the room, but any important background points he may have revealed are rendered unintelligible by the accent. Oh well.

>Explain my... uh... 'cunning' plan, I guess.

>Gauge distance from here to that hole in the South wall. Could, say, a hypothetical coward-type-person hypothetically sprint the distance without stepping on any hypothetical angry dragons?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: September 11, 2013, 10:16:51 pm »

((There goes my common sense.

And I'm practically laughing from that humor xD))

Oh gods this man is heavy. Why, if I had something to aid him I would but my shoulders function perfectly for that.

Glad my lower back isn't hurt.

Taren looked at Elenor as Maka made with her happiness. He had a contemplative fire, seen as an intuitive mark in his eyes. "You're a master in combat. Let me try to handle this. Forgive the lass. Youth only happens once."

The man kept his weapon sheathed and his mind clear. This was pretty much a strange matter, given how a humanoid was with a dragon in this kind of area--they seemed to be lacking adequate water facilities for bathing judging by the clothing, anyway.

"Maka! Calm down. Ask nicely." he said in his best calm voice as he jogged up towards her, keeping his hands away from that sword.

Diplomacy the dragon if it wakes up. If it does wake up and regard us in a 'I kill u' manner, go ahead and explain the giddyness of Maka and our presence in this area.

Also expound on our origin and how we got here. And..and. Ask who that human is.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: September 12, 2013, 12:42:43 am »

Apollo stood up after his brief, if eventful, trip down the stairs. The rock was still in his face, he found himself bruised all over, but all in all, for all the times he had found himself on top of a tower in the middle of an ocean (once), he had found this to be going better than expected, and he was maybe even feeling a little optimistic. He had gotten some stuff done, he didn't have to haul around the bear ass anymore, and he had just fallen down stairs with nary a broken bone from it.Then Maka's voice cut through the air, as well as his good mood.
A dragon? What?
His eyes darted around the room. Within the space of seconds, he found it.
Oh. Uh oh.
If the pink harbinger of our doom is close enough to be grabbed and stopped, do so. If not, pray to The Lady, to Krom, to Mork, or to whatever divine eavesdropper/ security agent feels like listening.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 12, 2013, 01:56:47 am »

Taren nudged Apollo before he ran off back a post ago.

"We can either sneak past through that hole or be caught by a wakened dragon. Maka has the gist of this situation-better to announce yourself when trespassing.

"And basically, I'm not even sure where we are in this place. Surely not in the dungeon anymore."
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 58