Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Favorite animal targets for taming?  (Read 9242 times)

AranC23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Favorite animal targets for taming?
« on: March 26, 2012, 10:50:26 am »

I have a lot of Giant Toads for obvious reasons but I am not sure they make a good target for taming.  Also I have Crundles.  I think I melted my Jabberer, but I only had one in any case.  I had a Rutherer at one point, I'll have to check to see if I have a breeding pair but it seems like a good choice. 

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite animal targets for taming?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 10:57:43 am »

Voracious Cave Crawlers are massive creatures.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 11:21:42 am »

I repeatedly and reliably underestimate the biting capabilities of the VCCs. It might not be a good idea to have a semi wild one wandering around your fort. If he reverted in your meeting hall... or your forges...
And imagine all the random animal attacks (from being to close to another creature for too long) except instead of scratches and bruises, you'll have legless mayors and half children... actually, might be a good way to get your doctors experience.

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 11:27:31 am »

My trainer can't keep my VCCs tamed.  They revert too quickly for him to keep up

AranC23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 11:29:22 am »

My trainer can't keep my VCCs tamed.  They revert too quickly for him to keep up

Maybe try training just one female and then train her offspring? 

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 11:47:11 am »

Make a sealed off pen for it and try to get them to breed, the moment they reproduce kill the adults and work on the offspring. Most wild animals that your civ isn't familiar with are pointless to keep after they have offspring.

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 11:50:25 am »

I actually claimed them from a goblin siege.  Their high rate of reversion has made me hesitant to let them out of their cages to see if they will breed.  I'll test it out this evening

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 11:52:55 am »

I suppose it's up to me to determine how the new taming system works with sea serpents.

Although it also looks like giant sperm whales should be tameable.  Time to build yet another ocean-side fortress.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 12:40:25 pm »

Does this animal training update mean that merfolk are tameable now?

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 01:08:48 pm »

I suppose it's up to me to determine how the new taming system works with sea serpents.

Although it also looks like giant sperm whales should be tameable.  Time to build yet another ocean-side fortress.

How would the dwarves train them after being tamed...? as in don't they need to be in water? and dwarves are phobic of water
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 01:19:02 pm »

Does this animal training update mean that merfolk are tameable now?

They don't have PET or PET_EXOTIC, so no.

How would the dwarves train them after being tamed...? as in don't they need to be in water? and dwarves are phobic of water

You won't be able to train them into war whales, since that requires physical access, and any water deep enough for the whale to survive is going to cancel the job.  If you can still tame them in cages, it should still be possible to tame them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 01:29:01 pm »

I sense another thread dwarfing other threads incoming from Sphalerite! I will be the first to prostrate!
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 01:31:44 pm »

Sphalerite is becoming something like master of the seas... maybe you should upgrade that avatar to Poseidon getting snagged by a fishing hook?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 01:49:18 pm »

I just noticed that VCCs don't have a child tag on their raws.  I'll have to gen a new world for it to take effect, correct?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 01:58:51 pm »

To answer the OP's question, Helmet Snakes might be a good target... It doesn't have a child tag, but does lay eggs... are they still capable of breeding?

EDIT:
Jabberers make attractive targets - almost big as elephants, and egg layers.  Rutherers would be close, but they have CHILD:10, so generations of them would take too long to mature.

A Roc is by far the largest and most powerful creature you could possibly get your hands on and turn out large numbers of offspring over... if you could ever manage to cage-trap a breeding pair.

Also, Sphalerite, try to get your hands on a Giant Elephant Seal.  (Savage Arctic Oceans.)  The name does not lie, they're nearly as big as a dragon, and amphibious. 

Giant Sperm Whales are the largest creature in the game - four times the size of a dragon.  The wiki includes mentioning that a single butchered giant sperm whale produces enough food to feed a fortress for basically the rest of its existence.  (Feeds 100 dwarves for around 14 years.)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 02:32:34 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: [1] 2 3