Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Favorite animal targets for taming?  (Read 9246 times)

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite animal targets for taming?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 02:25:34 pm »

I capture and train Helmet Snakes.

They're not the largest, nastiest creatures in the world, but all they need to do in order to pull off serious damage is take a single bite out of a goblin. They also lay a large number of eggs, so keeping a stable population of them is easy, even if they're mostly a suicide squad.

But you do need to mod in the child tag if you want them to have babies.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 04:42:41 pm »

I capture and train Helmet Snakes.

They're not the largest, nastiest creatures in the world, but all they need to do in order to pull off serious damage is take a single bite out of a goblin. They also lay a large number of eggs, so keeping a stable population of them is easy, even if they're mostly a suicide squad.

But you do need to mod in the child tag if you want them to have babies.

It's a pretty good idea.

I embark on badlands a lot hoping to see giant scorpions, but I never see any.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 04:49:01 pm »

You could always mod them to occur more frequently. However, as giant desert scorpions cannot be delayed like the GCS can by simply not breaching the caverns, this will likely result in a great deal of ‼FUN‼.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 04:51:00 pm »

what I do, is I breed badgers or jaguars. Very. VERY. Useful. twenty-five war badgers prepped for a seige. Oh yes

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 06:36:52 pm »

You could always mod them to occur more frequently. However, as giant desert scorpions cannot be delayed like the GCS can by simply not breaching the caverns, this will likely result in a great deal of ‼FUN‼.

Best part? On a desert biome you probably would have to rush down to a stone layer for mechanisms a few layers more than normal, and it would be far between trees for wood.

I think I will embark with some logs to make things go smooth.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 07:24:19 pm »

That is utterly horrifying. Just trying to imagine a beast of that size... Wonder how long it would take to butcher :P

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 07:56:40 pm »

Bears and the predator cats seem to be the easiest to catch in large numbers in their respective biomes (which can actually be find kinda close to each other). Also, the elves bring them for trade.

So yeah, breeding bears, jaguars, leopards, etc. seem to be the most viable.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2012, 09:10:08 pm »

I caught a giant olm and several cave crocs. I was very happy then.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2012, 09:27:33 pm »

Does this animal training update mean that merfolk are tameable now?

They don't have PET or PET_EXOTIC, so no.

I suppose it's up to me to determine how the new taming system works with sea serpents.

Although it also looks like giant sperm whales should be tameable.  Time to build yet another ocean-side fortress.

How would the dwarves train them after being tamed...? as in don't they need to be in water? and dwarves are phobic of water

You won't be able to train them into war whales, since that requires physical access, and any water deep enough for the whale to survive is going to cancel the job.  If you can still tame them in cages, it should still be possible to tame them.

Can't you use a trainer who can swim?
[Signature]

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 09:32:31 pm »

I thought depth 3 water was enough to keep aquatics alive, but only depth 4 water blocked pathing, and as such, depth 3 water could let land and sea creatures co-habitate.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 09:56:22 pm »

Doesn't matter.  Water deeper than 3/7 is marked as impassible, and jobs in impassible tiles are cancelled, even for creatures who can swim.  It's why you can't build aquatic forts even if you mod dwarves to not need to breath and/or swim innately.  Having a trainer who can swim just means the trainer won't drown after cancelling the job.

I thought depth 3 water was enough to keep aquatics alive, but only depth 4 water blocked pathing, and as such, depth 3 water could let land and sea creatures co-habitate.

I'm pretty sure aquatic creatures air-drown at 3/7, but I don't have an appropriate fortress up to check at the moment.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Linenoise02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 10:41:06 pm »

Doesn't matter.  Water deeper than 3/7 is marked as impassible, and jobs in impassible tiles are cancelled, even for creatures who can swim.  It's why you can't build aquatic forts even if you mod dwarves to not need to breath and/or swim innately.  Having a trainer who can swim just means the trainer won't drown after cancelling the job.

I'm pretty sure aquatic creatures air-drown at 3/7, but I don't have an appropriate fortress up to check at the moment.

How long does air-drowning take?  You could rig up some contraption where you drop a whale from a tank above directly in front of an animal trainer on dry land.  Then immediately after training, drop it again into a tank below.

Not sure how effective at sieges that would be, although I'd love to see goblin faces when a giant War Whale falls from the ceiling right in the middle of their army.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 10:50:33 pm »

I'd love to see goblin faces when a giant War Whale falls from the ceiling right in the middle of their army.

I imagine it would look rather like ketchup, though it could be more like salsa because of the more chunky stuff.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 11:10:32 pm »

I'd love to see goblin faces when a giant War Whale falls from the ceiling right in the middle of their army.

I imagine it would look rather like ketchup, though it could be more like salsa because of the more chunky stuff.

That's it! Ground! Ha! I wonder if it'll be friends with me? Hello Ground!
[Signature]

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 11:41:47 pm »

You need to drop some flowers along with it. "Oh no, not again...". Then, have the lever-puller get attacked by a bugbat.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: 1 [2] 3