Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: Science Thread: Taming and Training  (Read 72993 times)

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Science Thread: Taming and Training
« Reply #210 on: April 04, 2012, 01:05:09 am »

Has anyone chained up some invader mounts and seen if their children can be tamed properly?  Tamed or untamed invaders.

I'm working on that right now, but haven't had any babies born since I switched from .05 to .07 - I did have two baby rutherers born and tamed in .05, and as soon as I let them loose all my civilians started freaking out even though they weren't attacking. I stopped and upgraded to .07 at that point and the civilians immediately calmed down. They show as (tame) and are chained near my entrance now.

The adults from that wave (captured in .05 and trained in .07) are chained up in a breeding area now, and about 1/3 of them have gone wild on me (not counting the cave crocs, who went to (tame) since my civ is familiar with them). I'll report back when they reproduce for me.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 04, 2012, 10:03:20 pm »

Still haven't had any more babies off of the invaders (I have a lot of critters running around and appear to be running into some kind of population cap, since I keep getting litters of babies as soon as I butcher anything), but I did just notice something with the unicorns I've been working with: Young animals start out with their mother's training level, and don't trigger a training session until they lose a training level. This implies, I think, that a young animal could grow to adulthood without ever being trained, and thus not be tameable - which would imply that it's better not to train wild-caught females at all, but just leave them caged (and figure out a system for letting them out to get re-impregnated) or chained (haven't confirmed that they reproduce when chained) and tame the babies as they're born.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 05, 2012, 07:51:53 am »

For ravens, my semi-wild mother gave semi-wild chicks, but I managed to tame them okay. (And yes, they went to tame, as mentioned earlier). Are you sure you remembered to assign a trainer to the babies once they were born?

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 05, 2012, 10:32:38 am »

Very sure. Maybe I'm missing some other part of the puzzle - they're in a training-enabled zone, tho, and I don't think there's any other requirements...

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 05, 2012, 11:57:59 am »

Are they pastured/chained in an actual training zone? If so, maybe that's interfering? Training zones are used for training war/hunting, but not "taming" type training, from the way I understand it. (Not sure if that's what you mean by training-enabled zone.)

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 05, 2012, 12:09:17 pm »

I have my wild-caught unicorns in pasture zones with training enabled, and they're being kept tame just fine. The second generation ones are in my main pasture, which has the same settings, so I don't think it's that.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 08, 2012, 01:42:57 am »

Can you tame from a chain?

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 08, 2012, 01:54:59 am »

An animal that has a level of training of 'trained' or better can be safely kept on a chain so long as you have trainers to handle it quickly when it loses a training level - the animal will be re-trained whenever it loses a training level, and never get to the point of being wild again. An animal that's only semi-wild after a training session should be caged, since when it loses a training level it will be wild, and wild animals can't be trained from chains (and are also trapavoid, if they've had previous training).

Bartinyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 08, 2012, 02:24:37 am »

An animal that has a level of training of 'trained' or better can be safely kept on a chain so long as you have trainers to handle it quickly when it loses a training level - the animal will be re-trained whenever it loses a training level, and never get to the point of being wild again. An animal that's only semi-wild after a training session should be caged, since when it loses a training level it will be wild, and wild animals can't be trained from chains (and are also trapavoid, if they've had previous training).
I have found as long as you chain them up and have an idle trainer, they will go and train a semi-wild animal again before it loses a training level.  Though, if your trainer/s are really busy and don't get around to it, then that's another story.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 08, 2012, 12:53:41 pm »

I've only seen that happen if the animal was previously trained to a higher level of training, but perhaps I didn't have an idle trainer - though the animals that had been trained to 'trained' or higher levels are being kept trained just fine, so I doubt it.

Needs checking, I guess.

Steb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 08, 2012, 05:25:27 pm »

I've had no babies from giant creatures yet. I've had a few trained giant hamsters (one male, two females) for around 2 years now and still no babies. I recently obtained a breeding pair of giant weasels too. Has anyone else seen the same thing? Can anyone confirm giant creatures breeding?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 08, 2012, 05:31:05 pm »

I've had no babies from giant creatures yet. I've had a few trained giant hamsters (one male, two females) for around 2 years now and still no babies. I recently obtained a breeding pair of giant weasels too. Has anyone else seen the same thing? Can anyone confirm giant creatures breeding?
They don't have the CHILD tag

add
   [CHILD:1]
   [GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:giant hamster pup:giant hamster pups]

to save-region-raw-object-creature_small_mammal_new-GIANT_HAMSTER. No regen required.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 08, 2012, 05:43:55 pm »

Giant crows breed just fine in vanilla. Still don't taste good.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 25, 2012, 12:36:29 pm »

I've got a *Trained* GCS sitting at the heart of the GCS farming widget essentially like the one on the GCS page of the wiki.

But it refuses to shoot silk at the goblin.

It has been trained (and reverted) many times at this point, to the point I now have 'General Familiarity' with GCS.

Is this expected? Or fixable? Or just leave it locked in there until it reverts back to wild and put a cat on the chain?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 25, 2012, 12:40:43 pm »

Keep in mind the new design of webshooters, the wiki is likely outdated.  Webbers will fire at any creature they can see, they don't need a path anymore.  You may need to revise your design.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16