Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: What minor mods / raw fixes do you insist on?  (Read 11543 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: What minor mods / raw fixes do you insist on?
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2012, 10:25:21 am »

My standard raw modifications:

Add SHELL to feathers and nails, so they can be used for decoration and strange moods
Add EDIBLE_COOKED to blood, so barrels of blood can be used as ingredients
Make scales and chitin tannable to leather and tanned chitin
Make several different versions of leather, bone, and other structural materials, and assign them such that larger creatures have stronger materials (so dragon hide is much tougher than cat leather)
Apply some experimental reactions that make large creatures give more than 1 unit of leather
Add diplomats to elves, and trade liaisons to humans
Remove ARENA_RESTRICTED from all creatures
Remove egg-laying from aquatic creatures that can breed
Sort all creature names alphabetically in the raws so they're easier to find in lists
Make giant animals and animal people much, much rarer
Remove sponges (and giant sponges and sponge men) from the game completely
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2012, 10:27:49 am »

Zis is genius!

...and gross.

But genius!
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2012, 11:53:36 am »

Zis is genius!

...and gross.

But genius!
And gross.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2012, 12:11:46 pm »

For me, the most important tweak is to remove skill and attribute rust, I just don't want to bother with that. The latest patch happily removes the "need" for making exotic pets normal. I used to ditch aquifers as well, but I keep wanting to learn to deal with them so maybe next time I'll just make them less common. Beside that, I mainly make some minor tweaks like adding certain animals to certain biomes where they could logically live, and toning down the amount of grazing that big animals need to do.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2012, 12:18:19 pm »

Aquifers kick ass.  Infinite source and infinite drain anywhere you want them = traps / gadgets heaven  AND easy power source without having to mess around with fiddly finicky little dwarven water reactors.

I mean really, it takes like 20 mintues to punch through at first, then youre golden.

Personally, I mod the map generation with 3rd party programs, so that I can be 100% sure to get exactly the features I want without having to search 73 maps (I like having all the toys in one game to play with at once, like a volcano + nice slice of ocean + aquifer + some cliffs + at the very least igneous extrusive for hematite.  Flux is minor enough to trade for)
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2012, 12:20:44 pm »

My current list of adjustments from one version to another:

copy macros/*.txt over from old version
copy/paste custom worldgen entries over from old version
copy embark_profiles.txt from old version

EDITS TO MAKE:

in d_init.txt

POPULATION_CAP:120
BABY_CHILD_CAP:0:0
ARTIFACTS: NO
EMBARK RECTANGLE:4:2
COFFIN_NO_PETS_DEFAULT:YES

in init.txt

[SOUND:NO]
[INTRO:NO]
[WINDOWEDX:160]
[WINDOWEDY:50]

in announcements.txt

[DIG_CANCEL_WARM:A_D:D_D]
[DIG_CANCEL_DAMP:A_D:D_D]

in inorganic_stone_mineral.txt

add
[METAL_ORE:IRON:100]
after
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
for
[INORGANIC:CINNABAR]
and
[INORGANIC:COBALTITE]

then I add therapist, dfhack and runesmith when available.

basically I just remove the inconvenience of dealing with children, add a bit more iron ore overall, take out strange moods/artifacts and remove the cancellation spam.  Nothing too major, but it works for me!  The rest I control through worldgen.  I prefer completely flat embarks with volcanos available at/on the surface, and very warm/hot swamps with dozens of thousands of goblins to run through the great goblin melter.

Things might change with the new 34.06 version, but with 31.25 I couldn't justify using animals due to the FPS loss, so they and pretty much everything else ended up being sacrificed to the volcano god.  We shall see!

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2012, 12:44:11 pm »

Give dwarves longswords, remove their skill/attribute rust.

Longswords? hah! i gave mine chainswords. But then I doubt few people who've played 40k haven't tried.
And longswords are among the weapons I make dorf sized.

40K is awesome but chainswords are plain daft.  >:(

Anyway, I forgot to mention I like to mod dwarven ethics so that I can create Goblin Skull totems ad such but I haven't done that for my current fort either.

Sphalerite, those are pretty ingenious edits, could you explain how you do the leather-thing for bigger (and badder) beasties?
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2012, 12:48:54 pm »

Hi!

Zis is genius!

...and gross.

But genius!
And gross.

Finally, after shuddering during shopping, I have found people who agree with me :) :)

See Black Pudding (or 'Blutwurst' as they call it in my neighborhood).

Yours,
Deathworks

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2012, 02:38:54 pm »

Zis is genius!

...and gross.

But genius!
And gross.

More gross than a roast made from finely minced cow eyeballs?  I figure if my dwarves are happily eating organ meats already, a little blood sausage isn't much worse.

Sphalerite, those are pretty ingenious edits, could you explain how you do the leather-thing for bigger (and badder) beasties?

It involves some massive reworking of some of the material and creature raws.  I first created duplicate copies of the required material templates (leather, skin, scale, bone, tooth, sinew, etc) with higher or lower material properties.  That part isn't original, I copied it from the Genesis mod.  I have a Python script which goes through the creature raws and assigns each creature different material types depending on creature size and megabeast tags.  It also culls non-existent materials like penguin teeth or bluejay leather in the process.  Finally, for creatures which are large enough to produce more than one leather, the script creates new TAN_A_HIDE_x reactions that give more than one piece of leather as a result of tanning skin, and adds a tag to each creature's skin to cause it to trigger that leather reaction instead of the standard one.  It's a pretty complex process and requires a lot of hand-tweaking of the raws to work, so I'm not comfortable releasing the script as an automated tool at the moment.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2012, 02:55:53 pm »

Hi!

Since the cat bug has been fixed, there is no modding need for me. However, I dislike the square look of things, so I have a stretched version of the standard 800x600 tileset, which I use to have a game that looks right to me.

As for init options, just the standards of INVADERS and ARENA turned off, nicknames centralized, boxes for citizen and pet messages (it is a pity there is no option for marriage announcements) and pop cap 7 (not that it really works that way :) :) )

Yours,
Deathworks

===> HOLY SHIT GUYS, DEATHWORKS IS BACK <===

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2012, 03:21:08 pm »

Remove skill rust, remove aquifers from sedimentary layer stones (but not soil), make all grazers sustainable.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2012, 03:29:55 pm »

Hi!

Finally, after shuddering during shopping, I have found people who agree with me :) :)

Yours,
Deathworks

Yeurgh! Coming from the north east of England I've been exposed to black pudding all of my life.
I can safely say that I have never, and will never, touch the stuff.

Have it killed.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2012, 03:34:08 pm »

Huh, that explains why they called it "verivorst" (blood sausage) in my country.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2012, 03:39:21 pm »

Change the color code of Microcline from [3:7:1] to [7:3:1], which changes it from being bright blue with white accent to white with bright blue accent. I dislike obnoxiously colorful stone mucking up my fortress.

Electrode

• Bay Watcher
  • murmurs horrible curses
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2012, 03:41:44 pm »

Doing this right now!

Aside from that, I use the "decoration" workshops from this thread, and the "Language Unlocked" dictionary mod. Popcap set to 160, invaders turned off if I'm working on megaproject, temperature turned off once FPS goes below 30.

Also, why all the aquifer hate? Easy, early access to clean, safe water, power, and sometimes even fish. Am I the only member of the We <3 Aquifers Club?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5