Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: What minor mods / raw fixes do you insist on?  (Read 11546 times)

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What minor mods / raw fixes do you insist on?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 06:27:13 am »

So, how do you turn off aquifers? I've never tried that before.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Aquifer#The_modding_method

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 06:43:20 am »

If anyone can point me to skill rust? I'd like to remove it.

I usually remove grazer only from the domestic animals. I used to remove exotic from the whole lot too, but I want to take a look at the new animal training system, so that is on hold a bit. For some reason I really hate cinnabar and cobaltite, so I usually remove them. I remove aquifer tags from all but sand layers. I want them less frequent, but not gone.

Since I wanted to be able to eat the half sentients, I changed the ethics to eat sentient kill to acceptable, and the trophies too. I changed default site to city so I can actually find dwarfs to lead to their doom for their equipment in adventure mode.

That's pretty much it.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 07:49:01 am »

Well let's see...

I mod the creatures raws so that all Grazers have an opportunity to actually survive and remain marginally useful. In addition I make it so that almost any aminal can breed, Giant Cave Spiders included, and I used to remove all of the _EXOTIC tags but I no longer need to worry about that.

I completely remove aminal people from the game.

I mod Kobolds to actually be able to survive worldgen, and I have them pull off small attack parties which tend to turn up much faster than goblins, giving my dwarves an early-game threat to contend with.

I mod Cloaks and Hoods to not suffer wear so that they made a permanent addition to the military, though this has the side-effect of no longer allowing me to make them out of cloth. I also stop whips, scourges and morningstars from being so ridiculously powerful but attempting to bring their stats in-line with other weapons.

Finally I made Cassiterite a little bit more common, because one of these days I'd actually like to have cause to USE bronze.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 08:11:13 am »

I tend to remove aquifers and enable "clubs" (training maces) to be made.

I alos like replacing lots of [PET_EXOTIC] tags with [PET] tags and adding [TRAINABLE] to more interesting beasties and I'm also fond of lowering the amount of grazing needed for 'Lephants and Rhine-o's.

I didn't do the pet-meddling this time because I first want to get to grips with the new system, and I forgot the big beasties.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 08:17:28 am »

Give dwarves longswords, remove their skill/attribute rust.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 08:26:08 am »

removing the ridiculous amount of animal people sounds like a good idea.... hm, getting to be a lot of work.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 08:30:03 am »

Give dwarves longswords, remove their skill/attribute rust.

Longswords? hah! i gave mine chainswords. But then I doubt few people who've played 40k haven't tried.
And longswords are among the weapons I make dorf sized.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2012, 08:33:43 am »

Turn down grow-up age for dorfs, before this new pet system i would change [PET_EXOTIC] and [PET] to [PET][TRAINABLE], remove grazer tags, change some prefstrings and such, havent done much more.
And i remove aquifers.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 08:45:40 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2012, 08:35:21 am »

I just remove aquifers.  Most times I mod ethics to allow butchering sentients, but not so much recently.  If I really want a particular animal (usually that I've just caught) I'll tweak them to be tamable and tweak grazer as needed.  I once made GCS breeding, but had this back in .18 before egg nests, so I may toy with that again.  Now that they're tamable exotics that might produce fun results.

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2012, 09:31:29 am »

I add pop_ratio:1 to female, and pop_ratio:7 to male dwarfs. I change most material values, so they are a bit lower. I make cassiterite more common, and making steel a bit more complicated.
I love aquifers. Except the 30 Z-level ones.
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2012, 09:40:52 am »

I hate the bloody aquifers!  I didn't mind them in 40d, but the 2010 version seemed like if you wanted to embark with water nearby, there were the damned aquifers.  So I started modding them out.

I make the pop cap around 20 now, because with endless hordes of children and hard-coded migrants, I top out pretty fast.

I like seasonal autosave to be on, because I sometimes forget to save.

I turn off invaders until I feel like dealing with them.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2012, 09:51:35 am »

The only alteration I currently make to the raws is the one to be able to see and enable/disable all non-economic stone from the (z)Status->Stone screen, along with which ones are magma-safe.

I've often gone memory hacking, though, to tweak the coordinates of the hotkey viewports.  I never liked how the viewport's center would be offset just a few tiles from what I wanted to be the center of the screen.  So I'd go hunting through memory for the current values, adjust them to my desired position, and then resave the hotkeys.

I've taken this one step further, now.  I realized that I use a 12-unit offset in nearly all of my designs.  (11x11 rooms, which can be divided down into 4 5x5s, 9 3x3s, 16 2x2s, or even 36 1x1s.)  But the normal viewport scroll is a 10-unit offset.  I tried designing a fort using 9x9 rooms as the basis, and it was actually great in that the fortress now lined up with the scroll amount.  But a 10-unit offset is so much harder to work with than a 12-unit offset, in terms of design.

The obvious solution?  Change the scroll amount.  So I brushed up on my assembly, dug into the executable file, used some debugging tools to locate the relevant code bits, and altered them (literally, I was almost always toggling single bits in an instruction).  Now I have a 12-unit viewport scroll amount, but still have a 10-unit cursor scroll amount so that those 11x11 rooms are still super-easy to designate.  It'll be a bit of a pain to do it for every release, but I might slowly develop a good system for making it quick, depending on how I see the code change over releases.  At the very least, I kept good notes when doing it last night, so hopefully next time it'll be a matter of a search/replace in a hex editor.  Unless the compiler arbitrarily decides to put the machine instructions in a slightly different order or use slightly different instructions for no particular reason.  Then it's back to the debugger.  It was a fun learning experience, but merely tedious now that I know what I'm doing.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2012, 10:05:37 am »

1) Fix the grazers that can't eat fast enough to survive.

2) Make dragons reach mature size more quickly, so that they're fairly large at the time my fortress will be running.

3) Made dwarves reach adulthood and adult size at age 6.

4) Population cap at ~70. Combined with (3), I can still get large populations through reproduction, just more gradually.

5) Change babies to ~20:20.

6) Sometimes disable aquifers, depending on what I'm wanting to do with a fort.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 01:14:32 pm by Raphite1 »

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2012, 10:18:08 am »

I usually dont edit the raws, i like playing the game as its meant, not editing wih the files, but i have done a few changes for !!SCIENCE!! and Fun, such as adding the [VERMIN_HATABLE] tag to elves, making other sentiant races playable in fortress mode, and screwing around with the amount of limes things have.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2012, 10:19:58 am »

Hi!

Since the cat bug has been fixed, there is no modding need for me. However, I dislike the square look of things, so I have a stretched version of the standard 800x600 tileset, which I use to have a game that looks right to me.

As for init options, just the standards of INVADERS and ARENA turned off, nicknames centralized, boxes for citizen and pet messages (it is a pity there is no option for marriage announcements) and pop cap 7 (not that it really works that way :) :) )

Yours,
Deathworks
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5