Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Questions about a Human diplomat who is a demon  (Read 1611 times)

gorge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Questions about a Human diplomat who is a demon
« on: March 22, 2012, 01:09:51 pm »

The human diplomat just arrived and he is a demon.  I prefer to kill him (he is a demon...) but I'm not sure of the consequences.  I've read some other posts about this, that it's a bug and such, but haven't seen answers to the questions below.

Now for the questions:
It's been so long since I've actually seen a human diplomat, what does he want?  Is it relevant enough to let him live to talk to my mayor and then kill him?

How do the human merchants that arrived at the same time react when I kill their diplomat?  Do they leave?  Do they attack?  Are they indifferent and just slightly miffed?

Will the humans declare war just for killing their diplomat?  I've been trading with them for years and since I have no iron of my own, I want to trade with them.  I don't want to fight them. 

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about a Human diplomat who is a demon
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 01:11:13 pm »

Kill it, nothing will happen until next year if anything does happen.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 01:12:54 pm »

If you ignore it and let it leave the map, it will lose its position in the civilization (as happens to every civ position holder who leaves the map) and you'll never see it again.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 01:13:56 pm »

If you do get into a war with them,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
you can always make peace the next year, when the next diplomat arrives.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 01:26:51 pm »

Unless you kill him, too. That does tend to put a damper on peace talks.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 01:32:44 pm »

Be aware, if you get into conflict with the humans, then they will be immune to all your traps what the diplomat has seen.
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 01:50:40 pm »

I wonder if (how?) the humans would know that you killed their diplomat if you kill all the traders who arrive with him as well.

luisedgm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 02:10:14 pm »

I wonder if (how?) the humans would know that you killed their diplomat if you kill all the traders who arrive with him as well.

scouts watching from afar
or they can just assume that you did it, since the diplomat went to visit you

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 02:13:36 pm »

Trap him in a 3x3 construction box. Having a berserk demon will be useful. If not, then very cool.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 03:08:52 pm »

The human diplomat just arrived and he is a demon.  I prefer to kill him (he is a demon...) but I'm not sure of the consequences.  I've read some other posts about this, that it's a bug and such, but haven't seen answers to the questions below.

Just a note, but this isn't true. It is part of normal worldgen for demons to escape from hell and trick civilizations into making them leaders/nobles.

But yes, killing him will piss the humans off and they may siege. On the bright side, they'll bring plenty of iron and bronze to you like that.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 03:10:32 pm »

They don't know who killed him.  They just know he didn't come home, so you mist be responsible.  The better question is how they know that he'd dead, rather than just walled up in a chamber somewhere in your fortress.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 03:19:43 pm »

They don't know who killed him.  They just know he didn't come home, so you mist be responsible.  The better question is how they know that he'd dead, rather than just walled up in a chamber somewhere in your fortress.

Elfs told them.

RESCUE MISSION!

*A vile force of humans has arrived*

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 03:49:44 pm »

1) Kill it preferably as far from your real entrance as possible
2) immediately dismantle and rebuild all your traps
3) use what iron you have to make a ton of iron crossbow bolts which you then issue to your marksdwarves and or your newly drafted pesant militia.
4) Use said marksdwarves and traps to slaughter the human invaders with complete impunity
5) issue a melt order for absolutely everything in the battlefied. even if the invaders brought no metal you'll still come out ahead thanks to spent bolts melting down for more than what it takes to make them

iron problem solved
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Fnear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 03:55:24 pm »

I killed the Human Diplomat that visted me (Blind Cave-fish Woman Vampire with 4800 pieces of human and elf part jewelry).  A couple seasons later the humans sieged me (lame siege, half-dozen pikemen and a horse - I just let them hang out at the edge of the map).  A couple seasons later they sent a caravan followed by a diplomat.

The diplomat asked for peace (sure... I wouldn't mind a "thank you" for killing your tyranical vampire leader either) and the caravan left quite a bit lighter but with 200 pieces of human-part jewelry.

gorge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 04:28:04 pm »

So what does a human diplomat actually do since I'm already at peace with them?  trade agreement? nothing?

What about the merchants that came with him?  Will they get mad and leave when the diplomat dies?

Pages: [1] 2