Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32

Author Topic: RTD - Roll to Dodge Library & Hall of Fame (updated 6/17)  (Read 104684 times)

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
Re: RTD - Roll to Dodge Library & Hall of Fame (updated 6/17)
« Reply #435 on: December 15, 2013, 11:16:57 pm »

You know, I'm a bit confused. Isn't this whole thing fairly simple? You have a post here, every month, edit it with new information, all you'd need to do, Tiruin, is Quote the OP here, and make that the OP of the new thread, minus quotes, and maybe a new introduction. Then just continue from there. I don't see the need for anything outside of that, seeing as it's basically the equivalent of updating statuses in an RTD, only monthly instead of every weekly turn or so. Unless I'm missing something.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 15, 2013, 11:49:20 pm »

You know, I'm a bit confused. Isn't this whole thing fairly simple? You have a post here, every month, edit it with new information, all you'd need to do, Tiruin, is Quote the OP here, and make that the OP of the new thread, minus quotes, and maybe a new introduction. Then just continue from there. I don't see the need for anything outside of that, seeing as it's basically the equivalent of updating statuses in an RTD, only monthly instead of every weekly turn or so. Unless I'm missing something.

Well, he's also working on the stuff that hasn't been updated since the last time the OP was touched, quite apart from any other organizational changes he feels like making. Updating every month mostly involves making time for the bookkeeping, and actually being arsed to do that boring task.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 16, 2013, 01:19:45 am »

Well, he's also working on the stuff that hasn't been updated since the last time the OP was touched, quite apart from any other organizational changes he feels like making. Updating every month mostly involves making time for the bookkeeping, and actually being arsed to do that boring task.
Oh you're one to talk, given that you're operating the Hall of Legends. :P
It's not boring!...Unless it actually is boring!
Also She.
Anyway, I'm busy backtracking and replacing, checking up and reformatting. I'd rather not go with the usual "5-vote note" because I'm seeing quite a difference between # of players (as in I see a significant difference in interest if 'you're a player vs you're an observer') in relevance to the thread in question, but we're sticking to that unless anyone has a better vote system.

Just thinking out loud anyways.

Basic format:
The Library will be categorized into two types of RTDs:
> Minimalist
> Holistic [anything else, under the concept of ad pedem litterae]
Following Skyru's OP format.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 16, 2013, 01:35:17 am »

Well maybe then we need a Curate-off to see who is the best of the best and who will lead the thread with the skill that it requires; as for time required, well, it needn't be too complicated: I certainly can imagine it being done with an eye to brevity. Besides, it isn't as if there is an urgent need to have this thread functioning if it hasn't been updated for six months; a month or even two wouldn't kill it, but any curate-off needn't even be that long.

This has been misko27 with your dose of "Extremist has a point".
It's kinda silly when we only seem to have one eager volunteer.

Anyway, I'm busy backtracking and replacing, checking up and reformatting. I'd rather not go with the usual "5-vote note" because I'm seeing quite a difference between # of players (as in I see a significant difference in interest if 'you're a player vs you're an observer') in relevance to the thread in question, but we're sticking to that unless anyone has a better vote system.
1. Why is that so bad? Large RtDs require a good bit of effort, and most of the players won't vote for it anyways.
2. Why not list them all, perhaps in order of vote count?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 16, 2013, 01:43:58 am »

Oh you're one to talk, given that you're operating the Hall of Legends. :P
It's not boring!...Unless it actually is boring!
Also She.

Just thinking out loud anyways.

Basic format:
The Library will be categorized into two types of RTDs:
> Minimalist
> Holistic [anything else, under the concept of ad pedem litterae]
Following Skyru's OP format.

The "5-vote note" is rather difficult to get away from, mostly because it's dead simple and other methods usually require more work on the job of the curator, and IMO the less burden associated with that job, the better. I offered some opinions early in the thread which I feel are still just as true as when I first posted them. If the Hall seems bloated compared to the Library, consider raising the threshold to 8 votes or something. Incidentally, what's the definition you're running with for Minimalist RTD as opposed to a merely rules-light game?
Apologies, milady fair. I feel like I've made this gaffe with you in the past, so forgiveness again if that is the case. I'm maybe not so bright

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #440 on: December 16, 2013, 01:51:37 am »

Some games proclaim that they are Minimalist.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 16, 2013, 01:54:12 am »

I left it as 'thinking out loud' because while I may be biased towards it--there is nothing I can think of that preceeds its efficiency. Sure, I can say that the voters and the voted are subjective to the whims of the observer, but in looking back. . .
I..thank you for the advice and links. I didn't think of any of that beforehand other than the usual 'create a committee of checkers' which delved off into the inane parts of logic given that this is a free society.

So the changes made will be a time-related system akin to monk12's and including the differences between dead/hiatus games (1 month checking, all games will be moved to the hiatus portion unless otherwise stated. Checking to move to the dead category will be on the GM of the RTD--if they're inactive, they're [their work] is declared dead in absentia and will move to the Dead category. Monthly updates will be held to keep fluidity).
Common mistake good sir, I excuse any and all misappropriations of the mind and the sight towards memory--not that I indicate any malice towards yours, no! In accepting your error, you are brighter than most! I am glad to partake of this conversation in minute detail.

Some games proclaim that they are Minimalist.
Like I said! ^ ^

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 16, 2013, 12:12:25 pm »

Again, why not have all the RtDs in the library, like the main FGaR library does? No votes, no hassle.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 16, 2013, 10:02:50 pm »

Again, why not have all the RtDs in the library, like the main FGaR library does? No votes, no hassle.

Short answer, popularity contests are fun.

Somewhat longer answer, they technically ARE all in the Library, it's just the popular ones that get distinguished and elevated to Hall of Fame status, for the convenience of people who want to read through an entertaining game, either for pure enjoyment or because they want to try and mimic that success. Knowing the degree of success helps a lot in deciding what ideas to borrow from what games, and helps you get to the good stuff faster.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 16, 2013, 10:10:12 pm »

I enjoy the Hall of Fame aspect, though there's the bias from me having a game in there.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 01, 2014, 01:57:39 am »

Sorry for the wait everyone. Celebrations and other RL things took much of my time away.

Anyway, plans for the RTD Library are going smoothly (only that I've left the final draft in my USB..which I doubt I can get at this moment), and I'm planning to add in a skeleton concept of how the RtD works. A small guide to RTDs, so to say.

Will be posting the draft here in ~12 hours given the time strain here.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #446 on: January 19, 2014, 06:29:58 am »

~12 hours

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 19, 2014, 09:22:36 pm »

~12 hours

Tiruin has been having internet problems.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 20, 2014, 01:01:53 am »

Yes. Internet problems ever since (though the fact that thesis work + literature//history film project doesn't help my schedule), I've been recounting and remaking the thread from scratch though, so that'll help. :3

Err, and an RTD tutorial gleaned from the bones of our ol'RTD Roller's Block, which would've been our 'running RTD tutorial list that doesn't get stickied because of all the posts in it', as advertised. So I thought of making a formal one from all those 7000+ posts.

And yes, internet problems. I'm currently sacrificing my break time to do all this. xD Because argh my on/off net.

Apologies once again. While there is little tangible evidence for me to back up my claims--they're going to get finished before February.

Edit: Also noted several differences in how many things are posted. Ergh, it hasn't been easy for me and..I just hope everyone's ok with waiting a bit more. >_<
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 01:13:58 am by Tiruin »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 20, 2014, 09:07:56 pm »

Thank you for taking the time to do this, Tiruin.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32